I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Threads Revisited
Posted by: Cindy Harlow (---.ev1.net)
Date: December 21, 2004 04:17PM

I've figured out wrapping for guides and now I'm working on butt wraps (you do not wanna know what my hubby said about that). The deal here is that since wraps take a large amount of thread I am thinking of going out into A. Larger spools and B. Different lines of thread.

For my guides I'm going to stick to Rice as much as possible. That just feels better in my hands than Gudebrod. Even though Rice has a rather nice color palette, it is rather limiting so I've been pricing and comparing other threads out there. Now for some needed advice...

Madeira Polyneon - They have both a #40 and a #60. Now with this being a polyester instead of nylon, I'm thinking the #40 would be best if I was to use it for guides as well to keep a "continuality" with the butt wrap. That and the #60 looks to be extremely small and would probably wind up taking more in the long run. For those that have used either size for both butts and guides, you have any advice on it's usage? Also, on their metallics, on the Madeira site they have a FS in assorted numbers and a Metallic #40. Which is the most common used for rod building (of those that use Madeira) and any tricks to it to keep it from disengaging from it's core?

Sulky - I've used Sulky threads before in a project and still have some of this laying around but before I grab it I was wanting to know if it would be worth while. I've got both the Poly Deco thread, some of the Original Metallics and the Sliver Metallics (this is a flat thread). Any advice on these items?

That's it for now, I think. Trust me, more to come. I've still got to figure out weaving :D

Cindy Harlow
Resident Threadaholic

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Threads Revisited
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 21, 2004 04:32PM

Hi Cindy

Those that use Polyneon use #40 I'm not sure on the metallic but I would assume the same. I use Sulky metallics and like them. I don't know about the regular. The flat sliver is nice for tag wraps on the end of guide wraps and in butt wraps where there is no strength issues. Don't use it as guide wraps, it's not strong enough!

Do a search here for madiera and one for sulky and you will get a ton of info

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: December 21, 2004 04:57PM

Mike,

Been searching and searching. Lots of info there and did discover my thoughts on using the #40 were correct. That #60 stuff looks thinner than spider silk. But on the Madiera metallics, there are a lot of different sizes listed and 2 different types on it. Couldn't find that info in the search. Not yet anyway, I'm still plugging search words in there though.

You are definitely right on the flat metallic Sulky not being near strong enough for guides, that stuff breaks just by looking at it funny. Makes for fun trying to stitch with it. But it does look good when it's laying nice. In sewing I don't seem to have that issue with the original Sulky Metallics. Do they seem to hold up in a guide wrap?

Something else I forgot to ask. I've dug through a large portion of the sponsors but can't find many that sell anything but Gudebrod or Rice. Found some Fishhawk at Jann's but that's about it in the "variety" department. We have any dealers of these other threads out there?

BTW, now you have me looking for a smily face with a martini in it's hand. That beer mug is making me thirsty :)

Cindy Harlow
Resident Threadaholic

Date: December 21, 2004 05:11PM

Forgot to ask on something. For those that use the silk threads, what weight silk is normally used? I know that it comes in the 0 and letter sizes (i.e. 0, 00, A, etc.) but I've got to order a large bunch of silk for a tapestry here after the first of the year and figured since I was already having to order it I'd just add a touch for rod building and give it a wrap or 10. The thing is the silk I'm purchasing is sold in weight size. For what I'm going to doing I'm using the 50wt, which is a good general purpose size. If I move up to the 100wt that stuff is like my impression of Madeira #60, way too thin.

Any ideas here folks?

Cindy Harlow
Resident Threadaholic

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 21, 2004 06:52PM

Madeira Metallics - the colors come in one size only, 4/2 or 5/2 I forget which. Same size as Gudebrod Nylon A. The Silver & Golds come in several sizes, 7/2, 5/2 & 4/2.

I'm looking to sell all of my Madeira metallics because some of the colors I cannot use as an underwrap. I have used Superior & Fishhawk/YLI metallics, and will be re-stocking my supply with these 2 companies.

Posted by: Barry McGuire (---.newt1.ct.charter.com)
Date: December 21, 2004 08:05PM

Cindy; those of us who work with bamboo rods generally use silk, although either material can be used on either cane or synthetic rods. The fussier you get about the appearance, the finer you'll want your silk. Pearsall's gossamer ( 6/0, if I remember ) is generally considered to be of the highest quality, and will reward your eye-strain with a flat, smooth, translucent appearance after skilled varnishing.Heavier-gauge threads are easier to wrap and are stronger,but tend to have a diminished appearance. I'd suggest you experiment with a few sizes and brands before you buy bulk. Like most aspects of this hobby,you'll find plenty of choices and will be limited only by the magnitude of your obsession. Have fun. Barry

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 21, 2004 08:08PM

If you're just getting into your first butt wraps,and weaves, I'd try out the Madeira 40 poly and avoid their matallics . (351 colors, you can't go wrong!). Mark Crouse (munich rod man) uses this thread in a big way, along with Billy 40 and numerous other rodbuilders that like to use thread on a rod, for their "artwork".

Rice makes a great metallic, as does Superior, YLI, and Sulky. I personally dislike the HT Gudebrod, and wish they'd bring their "classic" metallics back.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.sw.rr.com)
Date: December 21, 2004 10:33PM

Cindy, if you use any of the Madeira metallics you MUST use color preserver. If not thesilicone on the thread will make your finish separate from your wrap.
I just sold 22 spools of it on @#$%& because i almost never use color preserver and it was too frustrating to wrap with.
J Metallic is about the best metallic that i've used for underwraps and trim bands.

Lance

Date: December 21, 2004 11:14PM

Thank you all for your advice, I'm definitely going to try some of that Madeira. I've got a dealer close to me and maybe I can get some used spools fairly cheap just to test out.

Michael, I have to agree with you on the Rice metallics versus the Gudebrod. I've used both in my playing around and I must say that Rice feels better in my hands, lays better and just plain looks better. (A special thanks to the nice board member who sent me a spool of Rice)

Barry, I resemble that obsession remark :D If there is a craft that is done by hand, I'm on it. I've even gone so far into the handcraft obsession that I rarely if ever use my sewing machine and that included when I made my sister's wedding dress about 10 years ago. All hand stitched. As for silk sizes, I'll have them toss in a spool of that 100wt (it's supposed to be finer than the 50wt) and give it a whirl. It's not like it will go to waste. I guarantee that something around here will scream for either a wrap job or some stitching.

Billy, how much ya looking to get for that Madeira anyway?

Cindy Harlow
Resident Threadaholic

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster