I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

snake -vs- single foot guides
Posted by: al barrett (---.gtwy.uscourts.gov)
Date: December 21, 2004 11:16AM

I am building a 7'9", SC4, 3 weight rod. I like the look of snake guides and was considering using ultra-light wire snakes; but first wanted to know what opinions there are out there regarding improved action by using single foot guides. I don't suspect the weight difference will be significant.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: snake -vs- single foot guides
Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: December 21, 2004 11:24AM

I just built that rod (blank model 4F793.4). I used Fuji Alconite single foots and tip top. CFAT6 tip top, followed by 7 CLAG6s and a CLAG10. I made a 6" grip out of Exotic Burl rings from Lamar Reel Seats and an upsliding Robert Venneri seat with birdseye maple. Great looking and great casting little rod. You could build it with single foot wire guides and it will still be a great rod, but the smoothness and quietness of ceramics is something I prefer.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.225.---)
Date: December 21, 2004 12:05PM

If you go with wire, use the REC light wire single foots. There is no reason to double your labor. The Alconites will cast better.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: December 21, 2004 12:07PM

I've built one 7'9" 3 weight with single foot wire guides and the usual style stripper. I'm in the process of building a second one now and will again use single foot wire guides but this time I'm using a size 10 single foot ceramic fly guide as the stripper. I would have used ceramics all the way but nobody makes a ceramic tip top in a size 3.5 tube. IS ANYBODY LISTENING???? Single foot guides are just so much easier to deal with than regular snake guides.

Posted by: al barrett (---.gtwy.uscourts.gov)
Date: December 21, 2004 12:29PM

I was mainly looking for opinions regarding if the action of the rod would be changed significantly by using snake vs single foot guides.

This is a project for myself and the additional time for snake guides is not an issue.

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: December 21, 2004 12:55PM

Al. Strictly a matter of taste, but the single foot RECs look better than the snakes and will be a little faster. I doubt if you could tell the difference in performance on a 3 weight, but why double your work?

Posted by: joe arvay (---.bay.webtv.net)
Date: December 21, 2004 01:45PM

Single foots are much easier to keep clean, especially if you fish in hard water or water with alot of algea. May or may not be an issue with you, but I hate that little space inbetween on the double foots. Can't say that it effects casting distance much, but that little space of rod blank sure can gather alot of crud over a short time.

I heard single foots have some effect on rod action versus double foots...can't say I've noticed it, don't think it's really that much if at all.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.att.net)
Date: December 21, 2004 06:31PM

The double foot snake guides add a miniscule (tiny) amount of stiffness to the section of blank/rod covered by the wraps. When the rod flexes the double footed snake guide must flex with it. The single footed snake,or single footed ceramic, for instance the Fuji Alconite, has a much shorter area of effect on the blank/rod giving the blank/rod a (tiny) bit more of the crispness built into it. I would use the Alconite BLAG or CLAG fly guides, but if the choice is only between snake & single foot snake guides, the single foot snake guide is the obvious choice. Merry Christmas. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster