I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

G Loomis Rod Defect
Posted by: Joe Rivera (12.149.140.---)
Date: March 08, 2002 01:03PM

Just purchased a Loomis rod blank, in which I paid full retail price,
from one of the sponsors on this site. When I opened the packaging I noticed at the very tip about a 1/4" down there was a pinch in the blank. Is this common, what can I do? Can I just trim the tip off and
if I do, would it void the warranty? Would this defect warrant some
kind of discount?

Thanks
Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: G Loomis Rod Defect
Posted by: Lonnie Dispennette (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: March 08, 2002 01:20PM

Joe,

It has been my experience that most vendors will steer you directly to the manufacturer, citing the factory warranty and claiming it is the fastest, most efficient remedy. Probably is. Bottom line is that the time you are denied for getting your project is your loss, not the vendor's. Your money has been spent and now you get to spend more money to ship the blank back to the factory ( they will pay to ship it back) and wait, again, for the blank you bought. I don't mean to sound so negative, but the whole process of selling problems and sending you elsewhere to solve them has been one of my biggest disappointments in rodbuilding.
Anyway, contact the person you ordered the blank from and they'll gladly give you someone else's number to call so you can get a return authorization to ship the blank to the factory. In a few weeks, with luck, you can get back to what you wanted to do in the first place.

Posted by: Jim Randall (---.icehouse.net)
Date: March 08, 2002 01:35PM

Hi Joe:

First call or contact the supplier you bought the blank from. If you are not fully satisfied for any reason with his option, contact G.Loomis direct and explain the situation. You can get their phone # from their website on the left. I'm sure you'll be taken care of in a prompt and fair manner. Good Luck!!

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2002 02:04PM

One simple point of fact except in a few rare cases dealers are not authorized by the manufacturers to accept returns, been like that for as long as I can remember, we may not like it but thats how it is done.
John

Posted by: Jeff Stickle (---.wcomnet.com)
Date: March 08, 2002 03:22PM

Alas, it is far too common with many manufacturers. It is a simple failure in quality control. The manufacturer lets a product out the door that should go to the "Blem" barrel and you have to spend the time to get a replacement. If you are not satisfied with a company's products don't buy them. There are quite a few blank maniufacturers who rarely send an unacceptable blank. Still it does happen.

Don't blame your supplier. Probably anyone who is listed to the left sells so many blanks there is no way they can inspect them before they go out. They did not cause the defect.

I don't think the companies with poor quality control realize how damaging it is to their reputations to send out defective products. Consider the buying experience. When I order an expensive blank I fist think I am buying the best for the money I am paying. I look forward togetting the blank and imagine what a nice rod I will build and how much my customer will like my work. You have a lot of positive expectations and feelings before the blank arrives. Then it comes and it has a major dog leg, hideous scratch, or other defect that makes it unsuitable for a custom rod. You also realize the quality product you were expecting is not a quality product and the manufacturer didn't really care what went out the door. It is a big dissapopintment that you placed faith in their reputation only to have it dashed on the rocks of defective product. Then you have a delay to the customer in getting another blank and the hassle of sending it back. Next time buy from a manufacturer who is paying attention to the product going out the door.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: March 08, 2002 05:19PM

Joe
as far as I know GLoomis does not sell blems any more. Like the rest of the blank industry they all stopped selling blems do to the fact all of a sudden they are being sold on @#$%& at high prices.
As for your problem call GLoomis at (800)456-6647. I have never had a problem with returning a blank to G Loomis. damaged before I reciveing it.
Hint take baby powder and dust the rod any fine hair fractures well show up.
Bob

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 08, 2002 06:03PM

Back when I was building rods as a business and could order blanks directly from Gary Loomis I was never disappointed in his service. He always had time to listen. When he first came to a Houston Fishing Show he met with many rod builders and asked each one of us to let him know what type of product we wanted and most of us wanted popping rods. His products became popular because he took the time and effort to help the custom rod builder. St. Croix makes a great product also but we in the Gulf Coast area prefer the G Loomis out of habit and due to Gary's outgoing personality. I have never been disappointed with a Loomis blank and rods that I built 15 years ago are still going strong. However, I have my sights on the St. Croix SCIV. Gotta have one for myself; gotta try one out.

Posted by: Joe Rivera (12.149.140.---)
Date: March 08, 2002 06:17PM

Its pretty dissappointing when you wait so long for a rod blank
and after all the waiting It gets to you defective. Especially coming from a company who suppose to be leader in the industry.
Part of this disappointment comes from the Loomis dealer
themselves. For example, they tell you they can have you blank
in two days and then don't get back too you for week and then
tell you that G.Loomis doesn't sell blanks anymore. Bad customer
Service.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster