I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Salmon/Steelhead to light surf?
Posted by: Ted Morgan (213.55.68.---)
Date: December 21, 2004 04:58AM

In my search for 3 pce heavy spinning rods it's pretty much dominated by salmon/steelhead rods in the 8 1/2 to 10 ft range.

Do any you with experience on these travel blanks think they would fit light surf duty, slinging up to 2 oz.? Most are rated up to about 1 3/4 maximum.

Are they fast enough in action to take that sort of casting?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Salmon/Steelhead to light surf?
Posted by: Jud Tussing (---.wma.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 21, 2004 05:45AM

I think you'll be fine, as long as the butt of the rod is bigger than about .6" and the tip is 5/64 or larger. I'm building a hotshot blank to use as a light surf rod and I've built on steelhead blanks in the past. Good luck.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: December 21, 2004 08:26AM

What about an 8-9 WT fly rod. The blank does not know what it is being used for

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2004 10:53AM

Try a search using MudHole's rod blank search. Try the following
criteria:

Pieces = 3
Line wt (starts with) 10

You'll find several blanks that will do what you want.

Posted by: Jim Levy (---.spr.choiceone.net)
Date: December 21, 2004 10:53AM

I use 2 steelhead blanks in the surf for stripers and blues in the northeast - they are by far my favorite outfits. One is a Loomis SH1265 which is 10 1/2 feet and will easilly handle 2 oz. The other is a lighter 8 1/2 footer (can't remember the model w/out looking it up) that I cast everything from unleaded Sluggo's to 1.5 oz. plugs with on 8# line. Email me if you want me to dig out the model number of the lighter rod and want to hear me go on extolling the virtues of the setup!

Posted by: Ted Morgan (213.55.68.---)
Date: December 21, 2004 12:32PM

Thanks Ken, I'll do that. I was using casting weight range and line range and it told me that was too restrictive. I guess that search is kinda like this software!!

Jim, over in the UK, even though they don't do as much lure fishing in the surf, there is a plethora of such rods, in 2 and now 3 pce. The same can't be said of the market Stateside, where things are just as good and cheaper.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2004 02:23PM

Ted (and anyone else).

The software that MudHole is using is pretty temperamental (actually not the software per se but the manufacturer's specifications). As they did point out you should try to make it very unrestrictive and play with a couple of different searches. I've had the best success by sticking with # of pieces, Length (includes or starts with), line wts, Butt diameter / Tip size. If you don't get an "answer" try dropping back to "any". The MOST restrictive is "Equals" in any of the fields.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster