I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

digital calipers
Posted by: Scott Lewis (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 20, 2004 06:43PM

Does anyone have any experience with digital calipers? Do their benefits justify the added expense?

Thanks for your reply.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: digital calipers
Posted by: mike taillefer (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: December 20, 2004 07:08PM

the digital calipers require a battery, for this reason, in most cases, i prefer the dial caliper. in a machine shop i use a vernier for most work because it is the most durable when used around fod and swarth. However the other two are easier to read. they are also bit more accurate but this is rarely an issue for rod building.

a dial caliper should be more than enough for most all your rodbuilding needs and you can compare prices here:

[www.medfordtools.com]

[www.medfordtools.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User (202.138.16.---)
Date: December 20, 2004 07:12PM

In Australia, imperial went out 1970, so most stuff is produced with metric scale on some with imperial and metric. I find the digital verniers calipers great as it just a press of a button to convert from digital to imperial without having to nut it out on a piece of paper. It would probably be the same for you, doing a conversion.

Regards
Myles

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2004 07:13PM by Myles Boon.

Posted by: Raymond Mazza (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 20, 2004 07:22PM

I have a set that didn't cost an arm and a leg but are accurate. I like them a great deal. I think they are worth a little extra, at least to me.
Ray

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.mynetrocks.com)
Date: December 20, 2004 07:33PM

I have both dial & digital calipers but prefer the digital as it is much easier to read. It also converts from metric to inches at the push of a button. Got both from Harbor Freight a few years ago and each was very reasonably priced. The digital display blinks when the battery starts to get low so you know when to stop-off at Radioshack.

Stan

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.att.net)
Date: December 20, 2004 07:48PM

I think what I use is lower tech than either. You twist the handle and read the numbers off the top of the handle. 0-1in. to 0.001in. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2004 08:01AM by Ralph Jones.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2004 07:55PM

I'm still "stuck in the dark ages" with a mechanical vernier caliper that reads both inches and milimeters on opposing edges. Probably nowhere near as accurate as a digital caliper... Maybe I'll ask Santa!

Posted by: Russ Miller (---.rpsa.ricoh.com)
Date: December 20, 2004 08:03PM

I agree with Myles, it is very convenient to be able to switch from standard to metric. Most digital calipers have a sleep mode to prevent battery drainage. I bought mine at Harbor Freight for $20 (including a spare battery), can't beat that.

Russ

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: December 20, 2004 08:16PM

I have a cheap vernier that measures in 64ths. I do like it for comparing parts but that's about all it's good for. I've used digital ones and really like them, but I'm too cheap to buy one for myself.

For actually measuring things, I'm in the short line with Ralph using an old micrometer.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2004 09:10PM

I bought one at the Rod builders show last year from Mudhole(hint-hint).Maybe some suppliers will bring them to the show.The push buttom conversion is great.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 20, 2004 09:17PM

Last year I bought a 4" Digital Caliper from Harbor Freight for $19.99 which included a spare battery. It has been a pleasure to use. Even with rather high S+H charges it still came in at under $30.00 which seems a great deal. Worth every penny.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.westk01.tn.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2004 10:08PM

Get the digitals. The cheaper ones are an absolutely amazing product for what they cost. I use the Mittutoyo at work, but at home I have one of the chinese calipers. Has worked for 10 years now. Just get one. You won't be sorry.

Posted by: John Carlton (---.bc.dl.cox.net)
Date: December 20, 2004 10:51PM

digital calipers=easy

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 21, 2004 08:56AM

I own a Sarrett digital micrometer, this last battery has lasted over five years already. The last battery lasted at least this long too.

I like the digitals because they are easy to read, and the one I own can be switched from decimal to metric readout with the push of a button. Kinda neat and very accurate tool to have around.

Lou

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster