I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Problem with Finish need help
Posted by: Steve Lynas (209.135.108.---)
Date: December 19, 2004 11:39AM

I just finished applying a thin coat of high build flex coat to a wrap and almost immediatedly a black bleeding starting accuring. The black discolouration is emphasized by the use of a Gudebrod light gold coloured thread #340. The black runs are only on the guide feet and not at all on the blank with is a matte black. I finifhed as follows, two coats of Gudegrod colour preserver and one thin coat of high build flex coat. It just occurred to me that I committed a no-no and knew I was doing it when I did it and this may be my problem. What did I do? Before applying the flex coat and after the application of two coats of preserver I attempted to move the guides in line. I took one last look at the alignment before I put the epoxy on and decide it was little out made the adjustment and think I may have trapped air under the wrap and foot. I think I am done and will have no choice but to do these over but I wanted opinions on what could have caused it so I don't do it again. Has anyone else experience this spotted, stained look on the guide feet after applying a finish as I did?

thanks
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Problem with Finish need help
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.70.75.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 19, 2004 12:45PM

Sounds like you disturbed the CP coating and thus the clear went inbetween the threads as if no CP was on. Alain first then CP. The ones that do not have clear on should have another coat of CP - let dry overnight, then clear. If they are all Cleared I would think rewraping is in order Check all the wraps to see if they are packed good, tight

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 19, 2004 01:01PM

Bill's right. Sounds like it's not packed tight. Use a magnifying glass and see if the black "blotches" aren't actuall where there are gaps in the thread. You need to pack tight

Mike

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 19, 2004 01:06PM

There will always be a dark area surrounding the guide foot because the area next to the foot is not directly on the blank. So it's darker. This is particularly bad with lighter colored threads. Make sure this isn't what you're seeing.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 19, 2004 02:13PM

Always pack tight and burnish your threads befor adding CP or finish. I believe this well correct your problem. As mentioned eariler this sounds like your threads had small hidden gaps that were not visiable untile you put the finish on.. Dito to using a magnifing glass.
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster