I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lamiglas Perigee blanks
Posted by: Lanny De Rose (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 19, 2004 11:01AM

Hello fellow rod assemblers:
I bought a Lamiglas Perigee 9' 3 piece 4/5 wt. blank about a 1 month ago. After assembley, on the first trial cast the blank broke above the ferrule on the tip section. I returned the blank to Lamiglas and they very kindly replaced the tip section and also gave me another blank in the same confiruration. Again, I assembled the new tip section and on the first trial cast the blanks broke in the same place. For a third try I assembled the new blank and on the first test cast it broke above the ferrule on the tip section. The walls are so thin on these blank they can not be fished or cast without breaking. Has anyone alse who has assembled on this new run of the Perigee blanks had any breakage problems? I must admitt I am frustrated with these blanks, considering the blank purchase price, cost of new reel seats and corkrings and the time I spend assemblying each blank only to have it break on the first trial cast. Any input would be a appreciated. Thank you for your time!

Lanny

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lamiglas Perigee blanks
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 19, 2004 11:07AM

Any blank can break, but when you have it happen three times in the same general area then it's time to take another direction.

First, make sure Lamiglas knows of your frustration and allow them to come up with a solution for you if possible. In the meantime, you would probably want to look at a different blank for the task at hand.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2004 12:37PM

Lanny,
That is really curious. I can not imagine what you could be doing to cause 3 blanks to break on the ffirst cast. I have built an awful lot of rods on Lamiglas blanks and over the years have found them to be very durable in fact one of the most durable on the market but I suppose that it is possible that they built a bad batch of these blanks.
If I were you I would send Todd Vivien at Lamiglas an e-mail or better yet I would call him. I am sure that he will want to know about your problem.

Posted by: Bill Falconer (---.dsl.fyvlar.swbell.net)
Date: December 19, 2004 06:44PM

Lanny-

Man, that sounds frustrating. Based on my experience, I have to agree with Emory. While the Perigee blanks do on average have a large diameter and thinner walls, I have built dozens - that is not an exaggeration - of the 9' 3-piece 4/5 and the 9' 3-piece 5/6 blanks over the last...five years I guess? I have never had one break and have actually witnessed them going through the wringer on loan to buddies (high sticking when landing fish, doinking the tip on the ground while walking, whacking the boat gunnel on a missed hookset, etc.). My experience has been that they are very durable.

It's entirely possible that they ran a bad batch or something, but that is not something I have ever experienced with Lamiglas. I guess there is a first time for everything, though. Did you tape or wrap the female ferrules before test casting? Were the ferrules seated firmly when the pieces were assembled? I don't want to point out the obvious but I'm wondering if you are inadvertantly doing something that is contributing to the failure.

I agree that you should contact Todd Vivian. It may take him a few days to get back to you, but he might be able to help. If it's a manufacturing issue, he'll tell you. In my experience he is a stand up guy. And I always seem to learn something when I talk to Todd. So, even if he can't help with this specific problem it would be worth your time.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Bill

Posted by: Lanny De Rose (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 19, 2004 09:12PM

Gentleman:
Thank you for your responses. I thought about what I could be doing to cause the blanks to break. I made sure not to wrap the ferrules too tight, not flex the blank until the ferrules were wrapped and the finish cured,and waxed and properly seated the ferrules before casting. All three blanks broke in the same place, about 1" above the tip section ferrule. I can't express how thin the blank wall is on the tip section. It looks like there are only 1 or 2 wraps of graphite cloth in the tip section. I assembled several Perigee blanks when they were first introduced seveal years ago and never had any problems with them. Tom, you are exactly right. Any blank can break,graphite is agreat rod material but it is fragile.I have been assembling rods for 17+ years and have never had a blank break just from casting it. I am sure it happens I just have not seen it. Usually,the blanks were broken to an acccident or the angler improperly handled the rod. I just find it amazing all three blanks broke and in the same place. Again, thank you for your responses and Happy Holidays!!

Lanny

Lanny

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 19, 2004 09:18PM

Lanny,

Please let us know what, if anything, you find out from Lamiglas.

Mike

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: December 20, 2004 10:20AM

Would a "sticky" defect on the mandrel explain that? Maybe when the mandrel is pulled out of the rod blank, it rips off a small bit of the blank's inner wall, causing a weak spot. This could be next to impossible to detect if the blank wall is not transulcent and if it was not inspected against a strongly illuminated background.

Or, Lanny, is there any chance that on your rod jig or one of it's rollers that it has somehow developed or become embedded with a sharp spot that scratched the blank above the ferrule? (That's a long shot, right?)
Best Wishes, -Cliff Hall-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster