I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Favorite Finishing Brushes
Posted by: Vance Corbett (---.frbgva.adelphia.net)
Date: December 18, 2004 11:25AM

There have been a handful of recent posts on finishing brushes and spatulas. Thought I would share the specs on my favorite brushes. The Royal #1 Soft Grip SG4010 has a one quarter inch wide X one quarter inch long stiff white synthetic bristle. This is my work horse "spatula." The second favorite-most is the #2 Royal Soft Grip SG155 with a one eigth inch wide X three sixteenths inch long natural bristle. This is the brush for detail work around guide feet and also works well for "cutting" wrap edges. The last of the favorites is the #2 Royal Soft Grip SG150. This brush is identical to the SG155 except that the natural bristle is one quarter inch long. I use this brush to gently "pull" thin coats of epoxy across inscriptions. I've had no problems with any of these brushes introducing bubbles or losing bristles. They're made with a thick tacky rubber section just above the metal band that holds the bristles, so they are comfortable and easy to steady. "Michael's" craft stores sell these for less than four dollars apiece. Very Best Regards, Vance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Favorite Finishing Brushes
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 18, 2004 11:51AM

How do you clean them without ruining the rubber section which holds the bristles? I usually let my brush sit in that U40 Solvent stuff, and found out that when the handle of the brush is painted, it will come off the first few times in the Solvent.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2004 01:01PM

I use plumber's "acid brushes" with the rolled metal handles. They're pretty stiff; 1/2" wide if you want them stiffer or narrower snip off the unwanted bristles. When you're done with them toss them out. Very inexpensive and no time wasted in cleaning brushes or worry about any cross contamination. For very narrow applications - tough to beat a metal spatula. I've seen them at Harbor Freight ($2.50 for a set of 5).

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2004 01:06PM

Ken,
Who do you think you are kidding? We know that you use your dog's tail to apply epoxy.

Date: December 18, 2004 01:10PM

Billy... These brushes clean up nicely with 70% ISO alcohol and a final cleaning with Flex Coat brush cleaner. Only takes a minute. Best, Vance

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2004 06:24PM

Emory -
NO - The dog's fur is much too soft. Besides her job is to test the hanging bamboo rods to see if the varnish is cured. Since I started the workshop overhaul she's stayed out of the way. I thought by now I'd have doggie tracks all through the new paint on the floor. I think I've got her really scared of the work area now.

Posted by: Barry d Thomas Sr (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2004 06:31PM

I'm with Ken Preston, I use the metal flux brushes 3/8" buy them by the Gross $14.95 (I think) work well for throwaways!

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 18, 2004 11:58PM

I too use "acid brushes" for finishing. Before use I use a razor blade to cut the end at a 45* angle, makes it easier to dab finish under guide frames. The brushes are cheap, clean easily. I discard them after several uses- sometimes after one use - depending on mood.

Also, for me their coarse bristles seem to result in fewer bubbles being transferred from brush to rod.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 19, 2004 12:04AM

Where can these brushes be bought??

Mike

Posted by: John B utterfield (---.adsl.gulftel.net)
Date: December 19, 2004 09:06AM

I use flat artists brushes from 1/8" to 1/2" wide. I learned from my oil painting days to clean them w/ alcohol and follow it with soap and water. I do the soap and water bit when washing my hands after the epoxy job. John Butterfield

Date: December 19, 2004 02:44PM

John... Your Email reminded me that I did not note in my post that the brushes I recommended are "flat" artists brushes, and that is important. Thanks, Sir! Best, Vance

Posted by: Luis Perez (---.eatntn01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2004 02:44PM

I actually use the cheap nylon bristled brushes that come in a pack of 10 for less than $2.00 at the craft stores. They work fine for me with both types of flex coat and I just throw them out when I'm done.

Lou

Date: December 19, 2004 02:45PM

John... Your Email reminded me that I did not note in my post that the brushes I recommended are "flat" artists brushes, and that is important. Thanks, Sir! Best, Vance

Posted by: Ted Morgan (213.55.68.---)
Date: December 20, 2004 09:25AM

I use spatulas made from plastic cutlery, as well as fake credit cards/SIM card holder cards.

I use my dog's tail to make bucktails. Tan Brown and white.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster