I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

GUSA - DHX
Posted by: Matt Davis (66.228.243.---)
Date: December 18, 2004 08:15AM

I'm looking for some feedback on a couple of GUSA DHX models. The 700 and 701 DHX. And the DHX graphite in general.

Every summer I take a Walleye trip to a trophy lake in NW Ontario. Fish over 5 pounds is the norm. The method for catching quality fish that seems to work best is split shotting. Casting up shallow to rocky structure. I usually use a pair of Water Gremlin pinch-on bullet sinkers and rarely am I fishing over 3/32 of an ounce of lead. The business end is a #6 Gamagatsu red Octopus hook with a leech. Pinched barb.

I have a Shikari SHX PSJ661 with titanium SiC's that has all the feel I need for split shotting. VERY happy with it's feel. What it lacks is length for long casts in very clear water. Last year I built a Rogue SJ702 for split shotting. I set it up nearly identical to my PSJ661. Ti guides, etc. It does a great job at getting the distances I like. However feel is lacking. It is not nearly the rod blank that the SHX is.

How does the DHX graphite compare with SHX/IMX/LE type graphites? Is it on that order?

Right now I'm kinda leaning towards the 700DHX as my next split shotting rod. Phyisical stats look very good, ratings look excellent. Does anyone use that blank for similar presentations?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: GUSA - DHX
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 18, 2004 08:36AM

I have both the blanks you mention. Very slim, thick walls and fast action. Nice blanks but somewhat heavier than the Shikari you mention. Not bad, but there is a difference. The extra durability of the GUSA blanks come at a bit of a slight weight penalty - smaller diameters and thicker walls. Some people find this a real plus, however.

I think you would like the GUSA models. They're nicely finished, straight, tough and fish and cast very well.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (213.55.68.---)
Date: December 18, 2004 11:52AM

That's a compromise I'd more than be willing to make. I fish hard and am tough on my gear. Durable blanks get my vote, even if they are a few grams heavier.

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.tnt1.broken-hill.au.da.uu.net)
Date: December 18, 2004 06:02PM

I haven't made or fished with a GUSA DHX yet but hope to build one in the near future. I was wondering if any of the CTS blanks may also be suitable for this style of fishing. I have just finished building a couple and I am super impressed. They have all the qualities Tom mentioned above. They may be a good alternative?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 18, 2004 07:08PM

The same gentleman, Dick Kantner, had a hand in setting up both companies and working with their initial design philosophy. It's no coincidence that the blanks are somewhat similar. And I've used one of the CTS blanks and also found it to be very high quality.

Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (---.jvl.wi.charter.com)
Date: December 18, 2004 07:42PM

Matt,
You may also wish to check out the B70LXF. It has a different feel from the 700DHX or 701, but it has proven very effective on everything from bass and walleye to king salmon. I've tossed lures as light as the Rapala CD3 with no problems from a baitcaster. I've abused the daylights out of this rod even flipping four pound bass into the boat with it. Just another blank to check out.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: December 18, 2004 11:39PM

I'm sure the GUSA DHX are excellent blanks and very strong.

Also, the new SCIV St. Croix Walleye Tournament Series blanks would be worth taking a serious look at. These are very light and sensitive blanks with some new reinforcement technology of note for 2005. I'de look into something like the 4C69MLXF, 4S63MXF, or 4S66MLF as possible candidates. A fellow that took first place in the Rainy River tournament did well with large bait with his sensitive SCIII 3C68MXF, so the 4C68MXF may well be his next winner. The 9 pounder wasn't too shabby in placing and his lodge displays a 14 pounder he caught one year. For northwest ontario trophy and tournament walleye fishing the St. Croix name has achieved top honors over the past several years. I believe with the addition of the SCIV will continue to raise the bar in excellence with these blanks and take in some good hauls of walleye next season.

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster