I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Which reel seat for 9' 8wt?
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: December 17, 2004 10:20PM

The rod (probably rainshadow rxf908-4) will see saltwater use. I like the idea of a removable fighting butt and to not want to break the bank. I can't tell how you decide which size seat to use.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which reel seat for 9' 8wt?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 17, 2004 10:49PM

Fuji type with integral fighing butt built on a quick-lock hood and then used in place of the moveable hood/nut per the RodMaker Magazine article. Wouldn't cost you more than $15 and I don't think you'll find much to compete with it in terms of overall function and longevity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2004 10:50PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: December 17, 2004 10:56PM

Which issue of Rodmaker? I don't think I have seen the article.

Posted by: larry pirrone (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: December 17, 2004 10:59PM

i like the aluminum pack bay seats with two locking rings. you have a nice choice of fighting buts and they are not terribly expensive.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2004 11:04PM

Not a big fan of removable fighting butts, one reason is they add cost, the other is that few people I know that have them rarely take them off as there was a reason you needed one in the first place. Also I've known people who forgot where they put the buttcap that fills the hole when they remove the fighting butt.
From a purely functional standpoint the Fuji 16 mm spinning realseat with a Fuji Quik-lock foregrip for the fighting butt is hard to beat, especially costwise, and it will never fail on you. Lots of pictures of the setup in the picture gallery at the top.
An all metal reelseat will be more than large enough for the butt size of that blank (.43") and the saltwater wood realseats usually are bored to .42" already so they will fit nice with a permanent fighting but on the blank, or reaming just a little will bring them to the right size if you choose the removable butt.
Just make sure you leave the space necessary to install the butt and any hardware it needs in the back of the reelseat before you epoxy the reelseat down to the blank.

Posted by: Mike Casey (69.51.87.---)
Date: December 18, 2004 10:26AM

Marty, If you think that the rod will need to fit into a 30" rod case (in order to fit into a 30"ish piece of luggage), you'll want a removable butt. With a 9'0" four piece fly rod it makes the difference between the lower section fitting into a 30" piece of luggage or not. On my personal 9' saltwater rods I have used Pac Bays reel seats, both A8 & A6-T. They have both worked well.

Posted by: Jud Tussing (151.203.179.---)
Date: December 18, 2004 05:47PM

Removable or fixed? I don't understand why more folks don't build the fighting butt directly on the blank, like you do with a spinning or conventional rod. You just need 2" -3" or cork beneath the reel seat. It's a pretty easy think to do and a lot cheaper than adding a $15 or, in the case of some of the Stuble models, $23 part.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster