I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Planing to dimension
Posted by: Tom Piatt (---.fwi.com)
Date: March 07, 2002 04:22PM

I am new to bamboo rod building and am having some trouble getting my glued-up sections to come out to the correct dimensions. I planned each strip to the exact taper however after glue-up the sections are always 0.010-0.015 too big. I assume this is the glue is causing the additional thickness. Is there a "Rule of Thumb" for this or am I missing something else? I don't see any glue lines and I've inspected each section pretty closely with a magnifying glass. I can see where taking an additional 0.10 off when I'm planing the strips for the butt of a rod would be okay, but it sure wouldn't leave much bamboo at the tip! Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Planing to dimension
Posted by: John Minnerath (---.WYOMING.COM)
Date: March 08, 2002 09:39AM

I was hoping a few of the guys who have planed cane for awhile would spot this and add a couple pointers. I'm pretty new at planing too although I rebuilt old rods for years. I believe the main thing is experience and finding out just how thick your glue will be and how much enamel is on the strip to be removed. I figure .002 for glue and about .003 for enamel. Next rod I'm going to sand the enamel down to finish surface before I go to the finish form as I know a number of makers do. I figure this will help the strips lay in the form better. There is also the natural arc of the strip, especially in the larger ends that can throw you. Moving the strip in the form at the final stages to bring it up can help to get that last .001 measurement you are working to get.

Posted by: Tom Piatt (---.fwi.com)
Date: March 08, 2002 11:45AM

Thanks John, sounds like good advice which will get me a lot closer to the dimension I want to finish with. I appreciate the assistance. Good luck with your rodmaking endeavors!

Posted by: john channer (---.pm3-08.durango.frontier.net)
Date: March 09, 2002 10:05AM

Tom;
Sounds like you used Urac with the walnut powder catalyst, that stuf is really thick and will make your sections much bigger than you planned on. First thing to do is to get some ammonium chloride and use that for the catalyst, it will help some, plus increase the open time just a bit. Even Epon epoxy will add a little to your dimensions, so what I do is cut the strips about 6" long, allowing 3" at each end, then set the first dimension of each section on the second station and hold the stripss to the 3" mark at that point. Set the first station correspondingly smaller, then when you trim the glued up blank it is an easy matter to find the points that correspond to the numbers you are aiming for. When you have tip dimensions that are really small, then you have to start allowing for glue. Just don't forget your node placement.
john

Posted by: Tom Piatt (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 09, 2002 06:55PM

Thanks John, I think you are probably right. I have been using Resourcinol, but the mix has seemed fairly thick. I'm going to have to get a more accurate method of measuring my quantities. I also like your suggestion about making the sections a little longer to start with. I shouldn't have a problem doing this although it seems with the bamboo I've been getting lately I'm lucky to get the length that I need sometimes. Appreciate the help John!

Posted by: john channer (---.pm3-04.durango.frontier.net)
Date: March 10, 2002 01:24AM

Tom;
If you are using resorcinol, you can thin it with up to 10% denatured alcohol.
john

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster