I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

SIG V vrs VPS
Posted by: barbra erbacher (---.bay.webtv.net)
Date: December 15, 2004 03:54PM

i was wondering how sage vps compares to a dan craft sig V in recovery and witch has a faster taper i know sig v cost less but im looking for a 9 foot 6 in. 6 wieght idont know if dan has that length any info would be most appreciated thankyou jon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SIG V vrs VPS
Posted by: Dan Craft (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: December 15, 2004 06:39PM

Jon,

I have the Signature V 8'9" 3pc 6wts in stock. Lighter, faster and sweeter than mentioned blanks.

Dan

Posted by: Tony Dowson (24.67.253.---)
Date: December 16, 2004 08:59AM

Both are really nice medium fast action rods,but the SIG V is MUCH lighter,crisper,and faster in recovery.As for which has a faster taper,both have AA's in the mid 60's(at least on most models that have been measured),but I think the VPS is "slightly" faster having AA's that are a few(3 or 4) digits higher on average.

If they were the same price I would take the SIG V in a heartbeat and disregarding price,the SIG V's are one of the best casting rods I've ever tried period.I often cast mine side by side with my Loomis GLX factory rods,and while they are different in action,they are very similar in weight and recovery speed.I have a very hard time choosing between them when it comes time to hit the water.

The 9ft6 6wt is hands down my favorite size rod for most of my stillwater fishing(I don't like a rod any shorter than 9ft for float tubing or anything like that,and anything longer than 9ft6 becomes more effort to cast than I want and is not needed),and the rods I usually use for this are a pair of 2pc 9ft6 6wt Loomis IMXs.I would love to be using the SIG V instead(it's lighter and faster recovering),but unfortunately it is not available in this format.

I've been quietly hoping that one day there would be some 9ft6 models in the 5wt and 6wt SIG V to fill the niche between the 9ft5 and 10ft 7wt models.The FT's are available in both 9ft and 10ft models,so it would be great to see some SIG V's in a similar,but slightly shorter,format to fill in between(since the jump from 9ft to 10ft is quite a bit).

Posted by: Dustin Crawford (65.100.198.---)
Date: December 16, 2004 11:55AM

I have to agree with Dan. The SIG V's are the sweetest rods I have used to date. I plan on getting more blanks to replace my other rods, or at least relegate them to back up rods. I fish the 9' #5 and I couldn't be happier. It will throw anything I have tried on it from dries to weighted nymph rigs and streamers. The recovery is very quick and it is incredibly sensitive. I don't think you will be dissappointed with a SIG V. I use both a 5 and 6 weight line on mine depending on the fishing situation and it works great with both lines. it is a very smooth rod, I just can't recommend them highly enough.
Dustin

Posted by: jon erbacher (209.240.205.---)
Date: December 16, 2004 05:42PM

thanks guys im leaning towrds the sig v 905 iv herd good things about the rod and was thinking about it allready

Posted by: scott kinney (204.119.3.---)
Date: December 16, 2004 08:55PM

Dan sold me a SigV 9'0" 5wt recently and I took it out last weekend for its first serious fishing trip.

just like dustin said above, it really does most everything well. i think it will be the go-to streamer rod for a while, and it also does quite well with nymphs and mid-large dries. i don't know if it's perfect for a #26 midge at 15 feet, but that's why we have 2wts.

Posted by: Tony Dowson (24.67.253.---)
Date: December 17, 2004 05:39AM

I have the 3pc 9ft 5wt SIG V as well and it's an amazing stick.It handles either a 5wt or 6wt line great(I prefer a 5wt for longer casts and stillwater fishing,but alot of people would like a 6wt on it for mid range fishing conditions).Next to my 9ft6 6wt IMX's,this rod sees the most water time as far as lake fishing goes.

The 3pc 8ft9 4wt is also a great blank that many would enjoy as a 5wt for most fishing conditions.It's got lots of power(it's CC numbers are similar to alot of 5wts out there),but is lighter in the hand and extremely enjoyable to fish.Handles a 4wt nicely at long range and really shines with a 5wt in the 30-50ft range.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster