I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spiral wrap direction
Posted by: Michael H Kennedy (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 07, 2002 10:17AM

I guess you can call me the odd ball of the group, but I use a left handed casting reel. I'm attempting to build my first casting rod but I want to try this spiral wrap with the fuji concept system. My two questions are, would I have to spiral the guides to the right instead of the left? #2 what modifacations would I have to make to the fuji concept for this to work? I mean do I have to move the choke point from where it should be because of the spiral and other things like that. Like I said earlier I've never done this so I can't think of any other problems I'll encounter. If there's any problems I'm not seeing right now I would deeply appreciate any do's or don'ts. I think the more I prepare for any problems now the better my rod will turn out in the end. Thanks for the help. Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spiral wrap direction
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: March 07, 2002 10:49AM

The concept system is not part of the spiral wrap. Although you can certainly use the idea of using the smallest and lightest guide possible.

It appears that most people will spiral their transition guides to the same side as the reel handle in order to facilitate the storage of rods on their boat decks. From a performance standpoint, it makes no difference, however.

Posted by: Jim Johns (12.13.248.---)
Date: March 07, 2002 04:41PM

I once accidently built a rod which spiralled in the direction opposite the reel handle. After much crying and gnashing of teeth, I stripped off the bottom four spiral guides and re-wrapped them in the correect direcrtion. I like it MUCH better this way.

Moral of this story -- if you use a left-hand crank reel, spiral to the left.

As a starting point, I usually end up with 7 Alconite guides (12-10-8-6-6-6-6) plus Tip-Top on a 6'6" - 7' baitcasting rod depending on the blank. I use 4 to make the spiral, and the 4 guides nearest the tip are at 180 degrees. Good luck -- once you've used a spiral wrapped rod it's hard to go back to guides up.

Posted by: George Thurston (---.cox-internet.com)
Date: March 07, 2002 04:49PM

Micheal,
I build a lot of spiral wrap rods and if you are left handed and cast with your left hand start the spiral to the right, if you cast right handed start the spiral to the left. THis goes back to the way you cast most of us when we cast we turn our hand to the left to get the most of the line coming out of the reel for a right hander, for a left hander you have the normal tendencie to turn your hand to the right. I have found and some other rod builders I know have also that this is the best way to get the most out of the spiral wrap. But at the same time if you only use 3-4 guides in the spiraling it doesn't matter which way because you are turning the line to fast. I use 5 guides in my spiral and have found that it is smoother and I get better casts less backlass and in the hook set andfighting the fish it works that much better. Good Luck George

Posted by: Dave Patterson (---.CDRP.splitrock.net)
Date: March 07, 2002 06:39PM

George, Where do you set your first guide? 0? 45? Thanks, Dave

Posted by: Joe Brooks (---.scs.agilent.com)
Date: March 07, 2002 08:55PM

I've only built one spiral wrap rod. It was about ten years ago and I didn't have the kind of support we have today with this board. I just saw a rod with the wrap and thought it was a great idea so I copied it.

With no expert guidance I just taped the guides on both ways to check it out. What I found was that if I wanted to grab the line in front of the reel for a little flip, or in front of the butt guide for a longer flip, it was best to have the line rotate in the direction of the hand I would use to grab the line. If the rotation was away from that hand it was a real pain. In my case the "correct" direction was toward the handle.

I've just built spinning rods since then(for my own use), but I plan to build another casting rod this year and I will do a spiral wrap in the same direction as my first one.

Joe

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: March 07, 2002 09:24PM

Michael,
I bet that you'ne not that much of an oddball. I am by nature (and birth, I suppose) right handed in that I write with my right hand.
I do prefer to use a left hand wind baitcasting and it's by second nature. I feel its more efficient and feels natural to cast with the right arm and to reel with the left hand. It's a quick way to handle bait retrieving and accurate placement. Maybe it's just me, but I find that anglers who have used spinning reels, and transition to use of a baitcaster have little problem in adjusting to a left hand wind baitcaster which I recommend. Again, it might be just my thinking, but if just feels better. I do find that right hand wind baitcasting anglers have difficulty in transition to a left hand wind baitcaster later on, yet they have no problem cranking their spinning reel with their left hand.
I've found this strange, but no point going on about that.

The point is I do my spiral wraps counter clockwise. This is in keeping with the idea of having the spiral on the same side a the reel handle. make any sense???

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 07, 2002 11:41PM

Mike,

I'm also a 'true righted handed' baitcast reel user who 'winds' with his left hand. THAT'S the 'natural' way to do it. All of the other reels with the handles on the right side are for left handed fishermen, or others who choose to waste time and lose fish by actually SWITCHING HANDS during the most critical part of the presentation (I'm a bass fisherman, if you aren't ready to set immediately when the bait hits the water, you are missing fish).

As far as the spiral goes, I've listened to the advice here and put it on the side of the reel handles. Works great so far. I've done a couple of rods for friends who are a bit backward, and I put their spirals on the right. They seem to like it that way.

Good luck with your rod.

Buddy

Posted by: Michael H Kennedy (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 08, 2002 06:50AM

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only right hander who uses a left handed baitcaster. Thanks for all the help you guys. Looks like you could go either way with it, so I guess I'll tape it both ways and see which one feels better. I'll post when I'm done to let you guys know how it turned out. Mike

Posted by: Rich Spofford (---.onlinemac.com)
Date: March 08, 2002 02:24PM

Maybe I'm more oddball than you guys. I'm right handed ( I write with my right) but when it comes to casting, I cast with my left hand and therefore have all right handed reels. Go figure..........

I have a couple of salmon rods I'm going to build and I think I'll have to try this spiral wrap thing.

Posted by: Dick Thurston (---.midtn.chartertn.net)
Date: March 09, 2002 10:18AM

The only objection to a spiral-wrapped rod I've ever had was when I made the spiral opposite the reel handle - - the guy loved the rod but was frustrated when he laid it down - if the water was rough it rolled around on his deck. Since then I always spiral the same side as the handle.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster