I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Couple of Questions on Blanks
Posted by: Tom Costa (---.173.66.34.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: December 15, 2004 09:55AM

Hi All, I have a couple of questions for you. I just completed building a Loomis GL2 10wt for my father's x-mas present and I got to thinking I want to build another rod for myself. I currently have a Sage Xi2 10wt. that I use for Florida Backcountry and MA Striper. I am looking for a recomendation for a second blank 9-11wt.

Secondly, my buddy is getting married in June. Want to build him a set of custom rods. Primary use will be for Backcountry fishing in Flamingo for snook, redfish, tarpon, etc.... He does primarily bait casting. Looking for a 7' rod recomendations. I was thinking Cape Fear or St. Croix?

Sorry for the book!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Couple of Questions on Blanks
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 15, 2004 10:58AM

Tom,

I want to be your friend and I need a...just kidding. I lean towards the St. Croix blanks. I have built on both the SCII and SCIII series for fishing the marsh or bays in Texas. My favorite is an SCIII mag bass blank with extra fast tip. Although not a 7 footer, I believe mine is a 6'8', it still does the job. I spiraled wrapped the guides using Fugi Alconites and it turned out to be a super light rod. The fast tip allows you to throw a wide range of lures and the power in the butt is outstanding. I'll quit now, running out of adjectives.
Cheers, Ellis

Posted by: Rick Koontz (65.196.57.---)
Date: December 15, 2004 11:00AM

Tom,

I love my SCIV 9' 10 wt. It has a light enough tip to cast 10' of line but enough backbone to throw 140' when you want. I like the smooth action of the SCIV over the Xi2 and GLX 10 wts. I've cast them all side by side and the SCIV fis me best. The other two had too much stiffness up high on the rod. Yes, they would both cast a lot of line, but it didn't feel right. After casting the Xi2 I had to go back to the SCIV just to set my casting stroke back where it should be. If you like the Xi2, then a Sig V from Dan Craft would fit you fairly well. His rods have a bit more feel, but are still very tip oriented.

Thanks,
Rick

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2004 04:48PM

You might also want to check out the American Tackle
HISA 1026F. Very nice matte black finish that feels like an Austin
All Star blank.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: December 15, 2004 09:16PM

Tom Costa - Depending on lots of variables and how dangerously your friend likes to play his fish, you could want something as daring as a 6-12# rod loaded with 10# line. Or if playing it safe, (that's me), a 10-25# stick loaded with supple 15-20#. Length depends on his stature and if he's fishing sitting down in a canoe (shorter rod) or if he's zipping around in a Hewes Redfisher (longer rod for longer casts).

Anyway, fast tip, plenty of back bone, is what I'm thinking. Need to cast decently in the 1/4 - 5/8 oz range. He may be throwing just a live shrimp on a bare hook, or bigger live baits (snook LOVE croakers) or plugs. But without the backbone to hold & turn a fish, he may only be feeding the mangrove roots his rigs & lures. Have some lively conversation with him over the telephone and find out the details of how he fishes round Flamingo and HOW BIG these fish are. These redfish & snook could be 1.5#ers in wider bays or flats, or 6.5#ers in the roots of mangroves in narrower creeks. The first one is for a 10# rod; the second is for a minimum of a 15# rod, IMO.

ST. CROIX TC-70-MHF:
SC-II Graphite Inshore-SaltWater Series (Matte Green Finish)
7'0" 1-pc. Medium-Heavy Power. FAST-taper. (Spinning or Casting)
10-20# line. 0.5-1.5oz lures.
Butt OD: 0.740" Tip size: 7.5 / 64ths.
Blank Wt: 3.40 oz. Price: ~$66.

That's a solid recommendation. After you talk with him again, you'll know what you want to give him. Best Wishes to you and the buddy & bride.

-Cliff Hall, Gainesville, Florida-

Posted by: Tom Costa (206.173.66.---)
Date: December 16, 2004 09:57AM

Thanks Cliff! I actually have fished down there with him a couple of times in the past year so I have a good understanding of how he fishes. He runs either Shimano 250 or 400 calcutta's loaded with 12#-17# Silverthread, primarily using the 250's for the snook and redfish and switching over to the 400's when we live bait or expect to jump some bigger fish like Tarpon at Little Shark River or Sable. I know his preference is to throw Poppers and Rapala CD-18's. I prefer to throw the fly rod! Last time I was down there we jumped a bunch of Snook on the last day ranging from 5-12lbs. But I'm sure you know that you never know what you are going to hook into down there!

The St. Croix is actually the way I was leaning, but it wasn't the inshore model my buddy at the shop was saying I should get! I can't remember which one it was???

Come on up to Boston next summer to do some Giant Tuna!

Thanks again,
Tom Costa - Boston ,MA

Date: December 16, 2004 09:59AM

Thanks Ken! I have actually built 5 or so Amtak blanks for both Striper and Fluke fishing. They are great blanks!

Date: December 16, 2004 10:02AM

Thanks Ellis, I think St. Croix is the route I am going to go. I appreciate the info!

Tom Costa - Boston, MA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster