I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank useage
Posted by: Ron Warren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 15, 2004 01:16AM

I need help!
I'm brand new to rod building and really want to get started, to that end I've aquired a pair of blanks and I think I've gotten into trouble already.
A discription of the blanks follows;
1. Length is 9' and they appear to be sprial wound fiber glas
they are tubular and have a wall thickness of +/- 3/64"
2. Butt is +/- 29/32"O.D.; Tip is +/- 7/32 O.D..
3. Action is very fast.
I'm waiting for Mr. Tom Kirkmans rod building book to arrive and in the meantime I'm chomping at the bit. Can anyone give me any advice ( I have a bad shoulder and cannot throw very far ) on what to do with these things? Does anyone have an idea what they might be good for ( in the line of fishing ) ?
I would very much appreciate what help you can give
Thanks Ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank useage
Posted by: Ted Morgan (213.55.68.---)
Date: December 15, 2004 04:21AM

Any manufacturer's markings, logos, etc. on the blank? It's pretty hard to tell anything about it's specs just by measuring it.

However, it does sound like a light surf blank. Where'd you get them and what will you be using the rods for?

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: December 15, 2004 08:03AM

Ron,
What did kind of rod did you want to make? Most blanks are chosen as to the range of lines or conditions you want to fish and the species, etc.
It's a shot in the dark as to what the blanks you have. You can guess on the power and line ratings partially with some static deflection and weight application to detrmine action, etc.
Butt measurements generally are stated in decimal equivalents.
Wall thickness of the blank won't give you much useful information as that can vary with uniformity along the blank depending on the techincal manufacturing aspects behind it. You also need to know the tip top, which conventionally in North America is measure in 5/64ths of an inch.
Also, what is the nature of the 'spiral wound'? Is it surface fibers? or integrated through all walls of the blank?
How did you determine that the blank is 'very fast'?

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel

Date: December 15, 2004 03:53PM

Thanks, Ted and Rich for your response.
Ted; I bought the blanks from a listing on rodcrafters. There are no markings that I can find on either blank. As for useage, I'm open but I had thought that they might be fly rod blanks. When I bought these they were purported to be Lamiglas but I do not think so.
The Lamiglas quality just is not there.
Rich; the sprial winding appears to be intergrated, and reminds me of a spinning rod I had some 50 years ago. the "very fast " term I picked up from the seller.
I'm not anxious to Do-Or-Die with these things if it would not be practical to try and and make a decent rod. You know. "garbage in garbage out" may be the case here. It may be wise to wait and get a top line blank to work on. What are your thoughts ? In fact, I think I would rather do a fly rod rather than a surf rod.

Thanks for your attention.
Ron

Posted by: Shawn Taylor (66.155.194.---)
Date: December 15, 2004 04:21PM

I can't add much, but if you bought them as Lamiglas, what was the blank number? I have built numerous Lamiglas blanks, and can tell you that all the graphite blanks have had that spiral wind through them. What color are they? Usually a Lami blank will have a small sticker on the butt with the blank number but will have no other markings.

Date: December 15, 2004 05:16PM

Shawn; as I said there are no stamps, stickers, nothing that I can find
Both have a redish brown cast and will transmit lite a little bit. One rod is somewhat rough i.e. "stippled " the other less so and has a more "shined" appearance in fact it looks almost like it had some kind of light finish sprayed of painted on it albeit very thin

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2004 06:50PM

Ron,
Almost all blanks have very small ridges that are a couple mils high and about 1/16" or 1/32" wide that spiral around the blank after they come out of the oven and the tape is stripped off. The ridges are usually sanded off. Is this what you are talking about?

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 15, 2004 08:13PM

Ron,
It sounds like you got a very old 70's vintage Lamiglas
fiberglass steelhead rod blank. They were some of the thinest blanks made at the time. I had a 7 footer that was a joy to cast. I gave that rod to one of my sons friends. I wish that I had kept it. It was one of the best rods that I ever used for casting 1/4 Johnson Silver Minnow spoons. I caught my first and only triple tail sight casting to it at the Chandeleur Islands.
Cheers, Ellis

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 15, 2004 08:25PM

Ron,
A word of caution, if you need help, order from our sponsers on the left. I consider myself a seasoned rod builder to some extent but I still ask for advice from time to time and our sponsers will help you in making a blank choice. When I have an idea for a rod that I have not built before, I give Richard's Rod and Reel a call once in a while and he has not let me down.

Date: December 15, 2004 09:41PM

Ellis I thank you very much for the tips, And I think that you are correct "Old" new blanks are what I have and to all who are following this. Please do not think that I feel that I have been scamed because I do not. The seller described the gear right on the money! if anyone messed up it was me

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster