I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

checkered patterns in cork?
Posted by: Dan Colville (---.buf.adelphia.net)
Date: December 14, 2004 10:02PM

I was browsing some rod photos and noticed some checkered patterns in the cork using burl. How would i go about doing this? Is it difficult? Where do i get tool to do it?
Sincerely,
Dan Colville

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: checkered patterns in cork?
Posted by: David Schaub (---.ev1.net)
Date: December 14, 2004 10:45PM

There are jigs available that help you cut wedges out of cork rings or you can cut them free hand. Several members have posted their methods and pictures of jigs etc. In any event the wedges are glued together to make rings and then the handle is built and turned as with regular cork rings. You can use cork, wood, plastic, aluminum or whatever it is you are comfortable working with. It's trial and error until you find what works for you.

BTW this is Scott working on Daves computer

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2004 10:46PM

Dan
There are a couple of sponsors to the left that can help you. Custom Tackle Supply and MudHole I know both carry them. Basically it is a hole with a flat bottom such as can be drilled in a block of wood with a forstner bit that is the diameter of the cork rings. Then cut equidistant angles indexed across the surface and slightly below the bottom of the hole at 0 45 and 90 degrees including the reciprocals. Last I heard Ray Mazza a frequent visitor was working on one made in wood butcher block that he was also going to drill to full and half slices to make "half ring pies".

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 14, 2004 10:52PM

Hi Dan,

It's not tpp difficult. It just takes a little practice. Theire are 2 cork slicing jigs available from Custom Tackle Supply (at the left). Below are the addresses to the picture of them (Copy and Paste the address into your browser's address bar)

The first is for a jig that slices the rings into thin slices:

[www.fishingphotos.net]

The second one is for checkerboards and siamonds.

[www.fishingphotos.net]
If you need any more info, shoot me an e-mail
Mike

Date: December 14, 2004 11:15PM

Oops! We must have all been typing at the same time!!

Mike

Date: December 15, 2004 12:12AM

Yeah --- but you "cheated" and enclosed photos! Way better than my attempt to describe an easy concept in convoluted terms ...ROFL

Posted by: Bob Duncan (---.vetmed.vt.edu)
Date: December 15, 2004 10:08AM

Who makes the aluminum jigs? Those look great to me.
[www.fishingphotos.net]

Date: December 15, 2004 12:48PM

Custom Tackle Supply is the only place that sells them, as far as I know! If anyone else does, jump in!

Mike

Posted by: Jon Tobey (---.fsea1.hawkcommunications.com)
Date: December 15, 2004 02:08PM

I've tried over and over with this jig and just cannot get the "sides" of the slices perpendicular to the bottoms, using either a saw or a razor knife.

Posted by: Bob Duncan (---.vetmed.vt.edu)
Date: December 15, 2004 04:30PM

I looked at Custom Tackle, but their's look like PVC (called JJ's Jigs).
I am intrigued by the machined aluminum jigs depicted at
[www.fishingphotos.net]
and
[www.fishingphotos.net]
Where do these jigs came from. I hope they are not someone's personal creation and that I can get my hands on a couple of them. Any one know?
Thanks in advance.

Date: December 15, 2004 04:44PM

Call Bob at Custom Tackle Supply. I picked an aluminium one up frm him at the Charlotte show last year --- works well - although one of the angles is slightly off. Heck I'd guess a decent machine shop could take those photos and do a replication for you - and maybe even set you up with a jig to do multiple depths (thicknesses of cork) as well all on one block of aluminium.

Date: December 15, 2004 05:31PM

Custom Tacle Supply!!!!!!

They are not on the web site. Just give them a call or E-mail. Never depend on a web site to show what they have. Few vendors keep them up to date.
You are much better calling or e-mailing for info/orders (except for Mudhole, who has the best site out there, by far

Mike

Date: December 15, 2004 05:35PM

Ken,

Making thinner slices with that jig is a snap. Just stick one or two 1" washer behind rthe cork ring. (depending how thin you want the rings(

Mike

Posted by: john black (63.146.104.---)
Date: December 15, 2004 09:48PM

ok, but whats the best method for gluing the ring back together? any clamps available?

Date: December 15, 2004 10:15PM

I use zip ties asome use hose clamps and you will probably get more responses

Mike

Posted by: Ken Preston (68.55.202.---)
Date: December 16, 2004 01:51AM

Mark,
Duh-oh! Why does the simple elude me so easily? "FLASH" goes the light bulb - sometimes I just wish the light would stay on longer -- LOL.

However, I would like one that was a tad larger/longer and "all in one" so that 1/ I would MAYBE quit misplacing it 2/ could manipulate it easier (minus vice) 3/ could avoid hunting for the washers (that I will invariably misplace or put in a different place than the jig). See that way I could misplace ONE thing - the jig and then go buy another one.. and another one. I could not believe how much "stuff" I "discovered" when I re-did the shop . Things that got piled up in corners and under benches.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster