I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Inscribing a fly rod?
Posted by: Dave Jamieson (206.239.195.---)
Date: December 14, 2004 10:05AM

I've built several fly rods, but I've never written anything on any of them. I just built one for my brother and I'd like to put the specs on the rod and inscribe it. Any recommendations for a simple, aesthetically pleasing way to pull this off?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Inscribing a fly rod?
Posted by: Adolfito Rosas (---.200-82-79.telecom.net.ar)
Date: December 14, 2004 10:22AM

An aesthetically pleasing way to write specs on the rod is to use a Permanent Ink pen and just make it simple. Example:
Name of your broder (or rod owner), Line weight in just a "#" sign and number.-

The more simplified, the more "fine finished", at least for my taste and my customers.

I hope this helps You!

Then tell us more details about your project and try to place picture.

Posted by: john kepka (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: December 14, 2004 10:45AM

Try decal connection to get some waterslide decal to inscribe if yu have the time. I was told to make sure there was "epoxy" coating on the rod before writing on it. Clear mailing labels, plastic laminating sheets and scotch magic tape can be used to make a label. Try it before you commit to it.

john kepka

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.121.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 14, 2004 11:04AM

Do a search of this board for "inscriptions" and that sort of thing. You'll turn up dozens and dozens of ideas and tips.

Posted by: Doug Weber (---.amtrak-west.com)
Date: December 14, 2004 11:16AM

David:

I have some experience writing on blanks, as I have built over 50 fly rods before using decals.

1. Keep the wording simple. Plan what you want to say, i.e. Your brother's name and "9 ft. 5 wt." or whatever are the exact length and line weight of the rod.

2. If you plan to use a pen or pencil, you have lots of choices. My first choice is to use a technical pen with white ink. I use a Rapidograph #00 with white india ink. I practice on black paper until I am satisfied with the result. Use pencil lines to keep your practice straight and the size needed. If you have a piece of scrap blank, practice on it as well. You can remove mistakes from the blank with water, but it could cause a slight ghosting. Also, use an ink eraser to very lightly scuff the area under the inscription. You are NOT trying to remove the finish, only give it a little "tooth" so that the ink will adhere.

3. My second choice is a white or silver artist pencil. It leaves an effect that is not as sharp as ink, but is beautiful none the less.

4. My last choice is to use gel pens. Obtain a fine point pen (Hard to do.) Go through all the steps as with the techincal pen. However, the gel inks do not dry as quickly as india ink. You may have to use a hair drier or leave the rod in the sun for a few hours.

5. In all cases, when the ink is dry or the pencil is perfect, cover the inscription with a coat of color preserver.

6. Lastly, cover the inscription with your normal rod finish. You may wish to frame the inscription with trim bands for a nice touch prior to applying the finish.

Hope this gives you some help and direction.

Doug Weber
Weber Rod Works

Posted by: George Mock (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 14, 2004 01:08PM

This may be a bit premature because I haven't applied any to a rod yet but I'm betting that water slide decal paper would be the way to go. I've used the stuff for lettering and designs on model boats and planes so I don't see why it wouldn't work on fishing rods.

Do a search on @#$%& for "water slide decal paper" and you'll probably find the stuff. Maybe some of the sponsors carry it, dunno. The design you put on the paper is only limited by what your computer and printer can do. You pick the design or lettering you want to use and print it on the paper with your inkjet printer. I've used the Park Avenue script with different font sizes and it really looks great. Professional I might say. After printing, you spray the paper with clear acrylic spray to seal the ink in. Then cut the decal out, put it in water for 60 seconds and slide it onto your work. Another light coating of acrylic spray to seal the edges and your done.............unless you're going to coat the decal with epoxy. I haven't gotten that far yet but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I've only done script so far but you can do pictures or any other designs you can dream up on your computer.

George

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.15.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 14, 2004 01:32PM

Yes, Decal Connection and perhaps Rodblanks.com have it.

Posted by: Rick Case (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: December 14, 2004 02:41PM

Dave,

Here, here, to the Rapidograph. These are costly but are the best writing instrument that I have found to write on blanks. I have seen this question time and time again and have responded many times, to use the Rapidograph. Finally happy to see that someone else uses it. Way to go Doug. They really do work great, and if you make a mistake, just wipe it off and try again. Takes epoxy without blurring, running, or anything else.

Rickytic
RodsByRick

Posted by: David Banaka (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2004 01:07PM

I have used a Calligraphy pen with a Globe Bowl Pointed 513-EF tip. I use model paint (Silver, gold or whatever color) It takes some practice on a priactice piece of blank but the end result is really nice. Besides a printed label it adds a personal touch. If you go this route just remember to dab the pen to get the excess paint out of the tip. Again, it takes practice.

I hope this helps.

Dave

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.msn.com)
Date: December 15, 2004 03:25PM

Another thumbs up to Rapidograph pens! I tried gels pens, quill pens w/paint, Shrarpie fine point and Pilot extra fine point and nothing works as well as Rapidograph. I order them from Blick art materials, prices are about 40% off MSRP. There are also many ink colors available.

[www.dickblick.com]

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: December 15, 2004 03:31PM

Could you Rapidograph users please be give a specific pen model number, tip size, and ink type. There are so many choices I don't know what to order. I want to inscribe fly rods with white, silver, or gold ink. I would really appreciate it as I like the look of handwritten inscriptions but am tired of gel pens inconsistent results. And I can't catch on to the metal nibs that you dip into ink. Thanks a lot.

Posted by: Elrod (Jon Jenkins) (66.76.215.---)
Date: December 16, 2004 02:02PM

Yup, I use the caligraphy pen and model master paints by Testors. They have some excellent silvers and golds. Just invest in a good quality pen tip, or you will be replacing the cheap ones every few rods. The cheap tend to bend easy and cause a "snagging" on the blank as you write. I am currently doing a Sage rod that I am going to hit up Decal connection for and give it a go.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster