I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank recomandation for pike spinning rod.
Posted by: Tim Bloomfield (---.abhsia.telus.net)
Date: December 12, 2004 09:50PM

I'm looking at either of these blanks. Don't know if I should jump up to the 7' with a little more power or stay with the 6.5'. They're both St. Croix SC II.
2S66MHF2 6'6 2 8-17lb. 1/2-1oz. MH FAST Bass/Pike/Saltwater

2S70HF2 7'0 2 10-20lb. 1/2-1-1/2oz. H FAST Musky/Pike/Saltwater

It will be used on a spinning rod to go after medium sized pike (~5 lb). It will aslo be used for trolling bottom bouncers around; that's why I'm thinking about the hearvy rod.
What do you guys think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank recomandation for pike spinning rod.
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 12, 2004 10:22PM

I would go with the SCII 8-17 only in the 7'

Mike

Posted by: Tim Bloomfield (---.abhsia.telus.net)
Date: December 12, 2004 10:48PM

7' wasn't an option in a 2 pc.

Why does everyone seem to like the 1 pc? Was surprised that 2 pc. blanks were hard to find.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 13, 2004 12:28AM

How heavy of a bottom bouncer are you going to be using?
For most of what you're doing, I kinda think that a more medium power would work alright???

I don't know what the big thing is with 1 piece rods. Most of my customers all want them; they say that 2 piece aren't as sensitive, don't stay put together, and break easier.
Hard to argue with a customer, I just order a 1 piece for them. A lot of my rods are 2 piece and I don't agree with any of the above statements.

Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (---.jvl.wi.charter.com)
Date: December 13, 2004 12:30AM

For pike around 5 pounds, both those rods are overkill. The 10-20 is totally more of a muskie rod and you can tell by looking at the butt diameter, the type of guides St. Croix puts on them, and the action and stiffness when you handle it. the 8-17 ain't too bad, but you might still flip a few fish over the boat. Truthfully, the 10-20 and the 12-25 are quite similar in power but the 8-17 is a nice step down. that's the toruble with catalogs - can't actually handle the rods in question. Any reason you're mostly going for 2 piece rods? Just curious.

Posted by: Pavel Novolokin (---.Moscow.dial.rol.ru)
Date: December 13, 2004 02:48AM

Tim,
I'm with Chia-Chien. The blanks you suppose for the pikes of the weight/size you mentioned, IMHO, are too heavy. Unless you like pulling them out of the water using the rod' power itself (lol)
I guess that you probably want to have some extra power for occasional fighting a bigger fish, but I don't think you should worry about it that much... I saw 10 pound pike landed with the rod built on 1/16-1/4 oz blank, so if you choose a lighter blank for your rods, you scarcely go wrong...

Pavel

Posted by: Marc Wisniewski (---.216-170.unk.tds.net)
Date: December 13, 2004 02:52PM

For Pike, you need the heavier rod for casting the larger lures and not to really land the fish.

I built two of the 6'-6" and one of the 7' this summer and I have built several of them before for guys going to Canada pike fishing. They are both good choices. But, here's how I'd break them down. The 2S66MHF2 works well for lures like Bagley DB-3's, #4 and #5 Mepps, 1/2 oz to 1 oz spoons like #3 Mepps Syclops, Spinnerbaits up to 1 oz., and 7" Suicks. If you plan on using lures larger than these, then go with the 70HF2. If you want to fish with "Small Musky" type lures like 6" Grandmas, Mepps Musky Killers, the big 7" Bomber Minnows, or the musky size spinnerbaits, you will need the guts in the 70HF2. If not, I'd stick with the 66MHF2. I always prefer the longer rod, but in this case the 70HF2 will be too heavy if you don't need it.

And' I'm sure you could troll or drift bottom bouncers up to 2oz. with the 66MHF2.

The 70HF2 is closer to a Musky rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster