I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

new to rodmaking
Posted by: Joe Carter (---.hky.nc.charter.com)
Date: December 11, 2004 12:07AM

What would someone recommend as being the best book for someone wanting to start building rods?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: new to rodmaking
Posted by: Fred Murphy (---.stkn.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: December 11, 2004 12:19AM

I started with Clemen's books, but most guys recommend the ones written by Tom Kirkman. They are all good sources of information. Also use the search feature on this site for specific information, if you can't get the info you need, this board is the most friendly and helpful place you can be. Welcome to a ton of fun and frequent bouts of insanity!!
Murf

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: December 11, 2004 01:03AM

Amongst the books mentioned by Fred, the spiral-bound book, "Handcrafting a graphite flyrod" by L. A. Garcia is an excellent source as well. Great color illustrations and explanations. I would also consider picking up a video on rodbuilding. Sometimes a static explanation just doesn't cut it. Watching the procedure in option can really help the visualization of each step.
Then go slow, and practice, practice, practice. It is also matter of getting your fingers used to some of the movements, which can be very ackward-feeling until you get a feel for the way things work.
Good luck.
Patrick Vernacchio

Posted by: Myles Boon (---.b.001.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: December 11, 2004 04:33AM

I personally think Tom's book and this site before you get any others, Tom's book puts in simple terms and what you don't understand you post question or query on this great site you will be given so much help and advice via direct emails and posts. And probably the best thing you can make some great friends.

Myles
Brisbane, Australia

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 11, 2004 09:28AM

I agree with Myles! $15 for Tom's book will be the best investment you could make (well written and full of step by step pix). between that and this site (Check the entire site out - Library, FAQ's, Glossary, Photo's), you will be well on you way!

Mike

Posted by: levi farster (---.essex1.com)
Date: December 11, 2004 03:06PM

I wish I had bought a book, but in my infinite wisdom, just bought about $300 worth of parts (nice parts) and went to town. It turned out okay, and I learned alot. Like, my life would have been simpler and I would have bothered the members here less if I had just bought the book! Good luck, and have fun.

Posted by: John Dow (---.235.252.64.snet.net)
Date: December 11, 2004 04:01PM

Joe , there is also a wealth of info in the Library , glossary , and FAQ on the top of this page. If you have what you think is a simple question , try the search function . For example , if you typed in turning cork , it would bring up a great # of posts made on that subject . Then read through them and you will be surprised how much info , and little tips you can pick up .........great feature , can save you in a pinch at 3:00 in the morning . Have fun, John

Posted by: Vance Corbett (---.frbgva.adelphia.net)
Date: December 11, 2004 10:51PM

Joe... All of the books mentioned are excellent (Kirkman, Garcia, etc.) In addition to the books, I suggest you request some free catalogs and "study" those as well... You will learn a lot about blanks, hardware, tools, epoxies, etc., and how they function and fit together... Most of the catalogs are free so get a half-dozen (Pac-Bay, H&H, others). Best, Vance

Posted by: Geoff Roberts (---.91.74.16.rev.eftel.com)
Date: December 12, 2004 08:56AM

I havn't read any other book so far, apart from Tom's, I am a new rod builder myself and am kitting myself out to turn my first stick.
After reading his book from cover to cover,many times now, i reckon the book is straight forward, easy to understand and comprehensive, and the picture sequences are great.
Regards
Geoff

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster