I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

flippin sticks
Posted by: doug moreland (---.se.client2.attbi.com)
Date: December 10, 2004 07:57PM

hi all, I met a man the job the other day and he was talking about flippin sticks but in the 20-50 or 30-60(80) range does anybody make an animal like that, the heaviest I see is 15 -30. Thanks Doug

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flippin sticks
Posted by: doug moreland (---.se.client2.attbi.com)
Date: December 10, 2004 07:59PM

in matte finish sorry about that

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.182.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 10, 2004 08:09PM

You'll have to choose a different type blank and use it for that purpose. This shouldn't be a problem. Find the action he prefers and the power he requires and build it as a flipping stick.

Posted by: Richard's Rod & Reel (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: December 10, 2004 08:25PM

Some musky blanks in that line rating range have been successfully used for flipping sticks.
Generally in the 7 to 7 1/2' length.

Rich Garbowski

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.r8.tncphl.infoave.net)
Date: December 11, 2004 08:33AM

Just take into consideration one thing - when you go to a blank that will handle the type line rating that he is requesting, it is more than likely going to be a lot heavier in physical weight and will be tough to handle when flippin for any length of time. An animal as such will be tought to handle in the hand!!

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Posted by: Gerald McCasland (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 11, 2004 08:49AM

Doug,

There is something that you might want to ask him about the flipping stick. Thre are lots of Bass Fishermen in this neck of the woods that use braid line and greatly overlne their flippin sticks. Most guys fish a rod rated for 25/30 pound line , yet they fish 50, 65, or 80 pound test braid on the rig. This maybe very well what he is talking about. Just a thought, old men like me have lots of them.

Later,
Gerald Mc

P S: There are lots of Bubba Bass Fishermen on this board that will agree with my statement.

Posted by: Cindy Harlow (---.ev1.net)
Date: December 11, 2004 12:44PM

Doug,

I'd almost be willing to bet we know the same guy. Since I have expressed an interest in rod building that is all this one person I know of has asked about, seeing if I can make a big bohonker flippin stick for his redfish expeditions and "trophy bass" hunts (his words not mine).

Heck, I didn't even know what a flippin stick was before this.

Posted by: Brent Schneider (---.atgi.net)
Date: December 13, 2004 06:49PM

I agree with Gerald. Sounds like the guy wants a flip stick that will handle braid. I dont know of any true flip stix that cover those line ranges. Over lining is what most guys do however they run the risk of breakage. The customer will either have to adjust his hook set or set the drag to give a little line on the set if he wants a true flip stick and wants to use braid.

Brent

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster