I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

3-weight Lamiglas rods
Posted by: Dave Jamieson (206.239.195.---)
Date: December 10, 2004 05:17PM

Hey all--

I'm gonna build a small brookie rod out of one of Lamiglas' slow fiberglass blanks. Probably a 6'6'' 3-weight. Usually, since I'm only casting 10 to 15 feet of line on those little Eastern mountain streams, I'd bump up to a 4 weight line to give the 3-weight rod more flex. But I was wondering: Since this rod would certainly be slower than most, would that make it more of a true 3-weight when casting at short distances? Or would a 4 weight line still be optimal in close quarters? Hope that's clear...

Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 3-weight Lamiglas rods
Posted by: Andrew Davison (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 10, 2004 06:47PM

I built this rod and sold it like a year later.
It's a true buggy whip. The slowest full flexing rod I've ever cast. Slower than a lot of bamboo rods even. You would never need to upline this one, I used a 2 wt. line on it most of the time.
I've heard the 3 pc. is a little stiffer, I had the 2 pc.
It was just too slow for me, that's why I sold it. It was tough to cast past 40 feet. Under 40 it was fun, especially fishing dries. It was tough to set the hook while nymphing though.

Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 10, 2004 07:07PM

There is no such thing as a true 3 wt rod. If you can find the CCS numbers on the rod then you'd know what line would probably be best in close quarters. From what Andrew said above I'd guess it's a pretty soft rod.

Posted by: larry pirrone (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: December 10, 2004 07:22PM

dave, i built the three piece version of this rod. it performs well with a
dual taper two. it is very nice at short distances and i would not overline it with a four wt line, or even a three. some who have built the two piece version have complained that it is a buggy whip but i would not describe the three piece version as a buggy whip. it is slow but i find it pleasant to cast and fish with.nice delicate presentation. i also built this rod on the most stiff axis when i spined the rod. that may have helped. i like the rod fine for what i use it for. small streams and small fish. in a previous post i have asked similar questions about the 7' 3wt. i just ordered the blank. i also have the 7'6" 4 wt and like that rod very much with a four wt line. if you build it use light guides and build on the stiff axis and i think you will like the rod for your small stream work.

Posted by: Tim Stephens (---.255.43.71.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: December 11, 2004 09:36AM

I would never expect a 3wt to be considered for long casts. The whole idea is small waters, small fish, shorter range casting optomized, and soft as can be for using spider web sized tippets so as not to pop off every take of every 6" Brookie.

In fact, a lot of the creeks will need a heavier line for casting to typical very short distance fish. If long casting is essential, use a bigger rod. If delicate presentation with tiny tippets from 20 feet to 30 yards, you need the soft action as essential for setting small hooks in small jaws that nip and spit PDQ. Even with the soft rod, it will take a lot of skill or a lot of flies will be lost.

If primary purpose is soft landings with no errors at short distance, then it sounds to me like the Lami with soft action suits the purpose very well. The fiberglass is a good idea again as it will be much more durable than fast high cost graphites. And that just adds a bunch of value for such a tiny tip that inevitably will be tested by a drop to the ground or a poke or a snap against a creekside branch.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster