I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Good thread colors/combos for Forecast blue blanks?
Posted by: Troy Ketela (64.119.138.---)
Date: December 10, 2004 02:17PM

What colors look good on the Forevast blue fly blanks for guide wraps?

Any particular trim wrap combos that work well too?

I have never really liked blue as a blank color, but thought that I'd build up a couple in 3-4wts to add to the collection since I've heard good things about them (the 7'9" 2 piece 3wt and 8'6" 3 piece 4wt - can anybody add to that list?).

Thanks,
Troy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Good thread colors/combos for Forecast blue blanks?
Posted by: Frank Novotny (---.willis.com)
Date: December 10, 2004 02:46PM

I just did one lasty month with garnett (no color perservative) and dustry rose metallic trim bands. The garnett turns deep red and looked pretty sharp on the blue blank.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.tnt47.dca5.da.uu.net)
Date: December 10, 2004 03:09PM

Tony, as far as others to add to the list, I have built quite a few of the 7.5' models in 3,4, and 5wts., especially the F764-5 and also the 2 and 4pc. versions of 764. If you want a great travel rod that feels similar to an Orvis Far and Fine, buy one of these and fish it with a 5wt. line. Neat little rods, durable and inexpensive so you can play around with lots of ideas you might have. They make fantastic gifts. For very little money, you can make someone a gift they will really be excited about. Plus, it's always fun to head to the stream and outfish people with a rod that cost you 1/10 of what they are fishing with.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2004 03:21PM

I just finished F764-5 for my grandson and used the Blue Dun without CP as was recommended by someone on this website. This combo makes for a wrap that blends in almost perfectly with the Forecast blank.

Posted by: Dave Boyle (---.dsl.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: December 10, 2004 03:34PM

Tony, the following link lets you experiment with thread colour combinations:

[www.tightwraps.com]

Regards
Dave Boyle
www.visualwrap.com

Posted by: Robert Widmaier (---.evrtwa1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: December 10, 2004 04:52PM

I did a 9ft, 5wt, 4pc Forcast fly rod (blue blank) for my brother-in-law about 6months ago. I did it in black thread with a blue metallic trim band. The guides were chrome so I used a little trim of silver metallic in the hook keeper wraps. Looked sharp!!

Bob Widmaier

Posted by: Ron Walter (---.mdsnwi.tds.net)
Date: December 10, 2004 05:05PM

I used teal w/o color presever trimed and inlayed with Teal metallic.

Posted by: Wayne Hart (---.ns.aliant.net)
Date: December 10, 2004 06:42PM

I have to agree with the garnet thread without color preserver.I recently wrapped a forecast blank with this color,but with a gold trim band.It turned out pretty nice.

Posted by: John Dow (---.port116.snet.net)
Date: December 10, 2004 08:22PM

I'm with Robert , black with metalic blue , I also threw in a couple of peuter inlay wraps on the guide wraps to match the TiChr guides . Used Amtac blue rings............what a sweet looking rod. ( but it was a 6 ft spinning rod I sold ). JD

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: December 11, 2004 11:21AM

All the darker shades of blue look really nice.I really like Teal(no CP) and Navy Blue(with CP) in particular.Blue Dun(no CP) and Teal(no CP) seem to blend in with the blank the best if you want that look).

Candy Apple(no CP),Garnet(no CP),and Dark Green(no CP) all make for some nice contrasts as well.

As for trim,gold,silver,shades of metallic blue/teal,etc all look great but my favorite is definitely metallic copper.

Navy Blue(with CP) with metallic copper trim looks simply fantastic on the dark blue blanks.VERY classy looking.

The 2pc 7ft9 3wt is a really sweet blank,as is the 3pc 8ft 4wt.I am going to be starting on a 4pc 7ft6 4wt any day now and I have a strong feeling this one is going to be the nicest of the bunch so far.It feels very light(felt as light,or lighter than the 2pc 7ft9 3wt) and surprisingly crisp for such a low cost blank.Plenty of power in the butt with a lively tip.Definitely an even nicer blank than I expected and I was already impressed with the other models I tried.

Can't help you on the 3pc 8ft6 4wt unfortunately(haven't built on one yet),but any of these 3 are sure to please.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster