I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cleaning cork grips?
Posted by: Rob Grider. (---.digitalgroup.net)
Date: December 10, 2004 12:22PM

I have a gentleman who would like for me to apply Tru-Oil to his cork grips but they are not new. I was just curious as to how you pros like to clean up older cork grips prior to doing something like this. Do you like to use steel wool, solvents, or sandpaper ? Certain colored sandpapers I have tried actually discolored the cork but looking for ideas. Thank you as always for your helpful input.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cleaning cork grips?
Posted by: Sean Walker (---.phxinternet.net)
Date: December 10, 2004 12:46PM

I've heard of using dawn dish liquid and a scour pad (those green things). I've seen the results. They looked new.

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: December 10, 2004 12:50PM

Rob & Sean, That's what I use, and it works. I would recommend testing the Tru-Oil on something worth sacrificing, just in case you don't like the result.
Patrick Vernacchio

Posted by: Joe Kassuba (---.wa.charter.com)
Date: December 10, 2004 12:53PM

Hello Rob
I have found Windex Wipes to work really well.
Regards Joe

Posted by: Kevin Kresowaty (---.nwcspa.adelphia.net)
Date: December 10, 2004 01:16PM

Since your going to apply a finish to the grips I would recomend sanding them a little. I would think that the nice fresh cork just under the surface would be better for finishing than trying to clean all the dirt and grime off the top of the cork. I know Lowe's carries a yellow/tan colored fine grit sandpaper that will not discolor the cork.

Kev

Posted by: larry pirrone (---.los-angeles-59-60rs.ca.dial-access.att.net)
Date: December 10, 2004 01:39PM

whatever you do do not use steel wool. as it removes material it leaves little waves in the surface. i use 600 grit wet or dry and lightly sand in a lengthwise direction under a fauset. it removes nothing but surface dirt and leaves a silky smooth surface

Posted by: Bruce Young (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 10, 2004 02:09PM

Simple Green on a wrag will usually wipe it clean without remooving any excess cork. Works well for me. Then after drying then add your true oil if you desire.

Good luck,

Bruce Young
Landing Gear

Posted by: Michael Collier (---.pephil.hawkcommunications.com)
Date: December 10, 2004 02:17PM

I have always used a sos soap pad and hot water. Makes the cork look new and dosn't remove or hurt the cork

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.tnt47.dca5.da.uu.net)
Date: December 10, 2004 02:52PM

I just use a cloth rag and warm water, not even hot water and it comes clean with a little rubbing. The rag happens to be an old cloth baby diaper so there could be something magical and powerful still residing in the diaper, I don't know! The ONLY thing good about using cloth diapers is that when your kid stops using them, you have a huge quantity of shop rags.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 10, 2004 03:18PM

As mentioned in the above threads the dirt and grim is just on the surface. I use liquid soap with warm water and let the rod soak in the bath tub for a coule of hours. If not the bath tub then I use a soapy towel wrapped arond the cork. Then I lightly buff it with a 3M gray scuff pad. This should bring the cork back to life. I would then protect it with a U40 cork protector
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 10, 2004 03:33PM

I just today easily cleaned an old cork handle with a bit of Dawn in warm water, scrubbed with food store Scotchbrite (the blue kind). The grime came off easily and quickly without damaging the cork. Only problem was all the indented defects and damaged spots were not cleaned. Maybe a tooth brush or other soft brush would do that, but I'm planning to fill the defects with wood filler anyway.

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: December 10, 2004 03:53PM

I use a cloth soaked in alcohol to clean dirt off my old grips. Denatured alcohol will really get the dirt off. Unfortunately, I've never been able to get rid of all the dirt down in the cracks, etc.

I've done exactly what you're suggesting on older rods (clean cork, then coat with tru-oil), and I've been very happy with the results. It's not quite as nice as a new grip with Tru-Oil, but it's still quite nice.

Posted by: Joel Todd (---.nas5.toledo1.oh.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: December 10, 2004 03:57PM

I use softscrub that is watered down and then rinse well.They will look like new.

Posted by: Vance Corbett (---.frbgva.adelphia.net)
Date: December 10, 2004 07:04PM

Rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball will amaze you, I promise. Discovered this cleaning the cork on a 60's vintage Shakespeare "Wonder Rod" that I know had never been cleaned. Looks almost new, by golly. Best, Vance

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster