I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Poll: When the customer has no preference
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: December 09, 2004 11:20PM

I'm sure many of you have been there. A customer wants a rod and has absolutely no preference. In fact, zero input. Doesn't even care about what thread color you use, much less guides, grip material, etc.

I try and match something... their boat, truck, something that I think speaks to their personality. Even though I know that I could probably use yarn and get away with it, I like to give these folks that little extra just to think about a next one... some inlay work, a small yet interesting butt wrap, etc.

Do these folks cause the rest of you as much distress as it does me? It's sort of like shopping for my wife who "doesn't care what I get her" even though it is truly a game of russian roulette. If it's good, I'm king... if it isn't what she wanted, (though she doesn't care)... I'm not exactly king.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Poll: When the customer has no preference
Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 09, 2004 11:30PM

Hi Mick,

That is almost a terrible situation. You find it so hard to believe that the person is willing to spend a great deal on money and not have preferences.

This is when you build a Johnny Cash rod. All BLACK!!!!! Can look very sharp and you can always wrap over it.

Good luck!

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Ralph Jones (---.att.net)
Date: December 09, 2004 11:39PM

With a thin silver trim ring to accent all that black. Ralph

Posted by: Myles Boon (---.a.001.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: December 10, 2004 12:07AM

Mick,
Us Aussies seem to only like something that is plain but practical, the rods I have built and thats not alot the ideas, colours have been left in my hands. Got another order the other day and the guy only specified the size of the grip. I think the next job the customer leaves for me to do will get something like Kens post in the photo page (excellent work but brave). I'm a frustrated artist wanting inspriation.

Myles
Brisbane, Australia

Date: December 10, 2004 12:51AM

Capn Neil and Ralph,
It is a bad feeling isn't it? You want the customer to like it, but also his fishing buddies, without going overboard or looking like a factory wrap. My go to colors are black, cobalt or garnet with either silver or gold trim and inlays.

Myles, I feel your pain. I think that most fisherman don't know what can be done. They see factory rods and think that only one color of thread can be used, so they don't know the art that can be done. It's trying to find a fine line between personal expression and going overboard.

I'm wishy washy and hate wishy washy folks. lol

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2004 01:47AM

Mick -
Faced with that dilemma there are few questions: What type fish? and
How big are they? What kind of reel are you going to use (conventional / spinning)? From there make it so that it is pleasing to you to look at - and remains within the cost you've decided on.

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.159.20.230.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: December 10, 2004 04:36AM

All I can add Mick, is to get paid in advance.

Tight Lines

Art
mrparramoure@yahoo.com

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: December 10, 2004 06:49AM

Mick,
This is where some of your education skills come into play as what points you out as a custom rod builder.
You'll need basic input from the customer such as what species they will fish, type of bait, etc. After all, that is what they should know for a start. From there, if there is no particular preference, then the customer is relying on your expertise in providing them a product to do the job. Your product as a custom rod builder is the skill you put into the rod by it's ultimate performance and appearance. When the customer receives your finished custom rod and knows it's something special, you also want them to be satisfied when they apply it to fishing. Encourage feedback on the finished product from the input you've received. That's a communicative/educative stage between you and the customer which will pay off in the long run, and with your sense of gratification for a job well done.

Also, Myles pointed out the plain type of rod that might seem to be preferred. I've run across this many times, but when encouraging the customer to choose at least some level of personalization and they always can give you some hint of their color/metal preferences. From there you build them a custom rod that is for THEM, and they will know it's different and better. Don't underestimate that a customer might be comparing what is available in drab factory rods which is what you want to avoid as a custom rod builder. They want to know what the extra they are paying for, and it's your service, expertise, making a better rod, and one that has the appearance of custom that they recognize.

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: david schaub (---.hstqtx02.covad.net)
Date: December 10, 2004 08:27AM

What is actually worse, is the customer who knows exactly what they want except that it is wrong for what they want to do. It is like going elephant hunting with a 0.22 or ant killing with a sledge hammer! You talk to them and they sound like they understand, they even shake their head "yes", but when you finally get to the bottom line, they still want the wrong rod. And if you convince them to buy the right rod, they never seem to be happy because they didnt get what they wanted! It is not a win-win situation....the best you can hope for is a draw with no one getting hurt!!!
You know you are never going to hear from them again and you just go on wondering what you should have done differently, if anything. Maybe next time you refer them to someone else!

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 10, 2004 08:56AM

Mick:

I like this type of customer; it stretches my abilities and imagination much more than someone who tells me exactly what they want. Doing one of these rods helps me reach farther into the bag...

Putter

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.129.164.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 10, 2004 09:02AM

If your are putting your name on it, make it nice! If you know it is the wrong rod, but can not talk him into the Correct rod, maybe you should not build it! Other people will see and try it, your reputation is there.

Date: December 10, 2004 09:16AM

....I should add that nearly all rods I build here are for walleye. Once I know their favorite style of fishing (cranks, jigs, Lindy's, spinners, etc.) I can run with it. And I've probably known the person for 20 years and seen them out fishing 100 times, too...

Putter

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.129.164.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 10, 2004 09:20AM

Putter; You can't build a bad rod, they all know where you live LOL

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: December 10, 2004 09:48AM

I have made a couple of sets and also do my own rods in Black with Fire Opal Metalflake. Simple but eye catching. Jesse

Date: December 10, 2004 10:17AM

Bill- You got that right!!

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---.vitalchek.com)
Date: December 10, 2004 10:52AM

LOL....I second Randy comments. I got three rod orders today and all the info I got was 1-5'2" and 1-5'6"....It was more like "You know what I wont" and I said "You got it"!

Capt Neil....I'm slowly making black my favorite color!

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: December 10, 2004 11:09AM

Mick. An easy suggestion. Come up with a design that you find pleasing and in line with what you know about your client, then tell your client what you are going to do (e-mail is good). If he has a hidden preference, he will surely express it then. If he is still indifferent, so be it.

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: December 10, 2004 12:46PM

The answer for me is always dark earthtones. Sometimes, when I'm feeling brave, I use a little goldish yellow. Since almost all my rods are built on black, dk. gray, or dk. green blanks (occasionally plum), almost any combination of green, brown, olive or burgandy thread will work. I also usually include a little 9004 ole gold metallic trim.

Since I almost always have some sort of wood trim on a rod, I try to match one thread color to the wood (I have more varieties of brown thread than I can count), then make my main thread color a dk. green or a burgandy/merlot/garnet color. Add a little splash of 9004 ole gold, and I've never been disappointed. Neither has the customer.

With this dark earthtone color scheme, I usually include some sort of feather inlay on the butt. Jungle Cock nails are great with almost any color(s), but they look especially great with the dark earthtones.

Posted by: Mike McGivney (---.jdover01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2004 05:08PM

I have had that same problem with relatives wanting rods and they tell me it doesn't matter what I do. So I usually torture myself by going overboard and spending alot of time on it. Try to find out what their favorite colors are and go from there. To me, an all black rod just doesn't do it for me, unless that's what they want. As long as it doesn't look like something Liberace(probably butchered the name) you should be safe. Good luck

Mike

Date: December 10, 2004 07:13PM

Cool responses. When I'm completely stuck, I go with garnet or black with some silver or gold. I like having the freedom to do what I want, but I also want the owner to feel that it is theirs. It's hard for me to understand how some people simply have no preferences.

I always worry that I'm giving them something too simple, or too busy. What I think is simple and elegant may not be what other's think. I enjoy doing them, but there's a part of me that is worried that they won't like it in the end. Hasn't happened yet, but someday it might.

Doing two now and even after seeing my rods with some examples of what can be done and butt wraps from simple to complex, no preference. Colors, pattern or none, eva or cork, just doesn't matter. Still working on colors and patterns. Eyes brightened at a couple of things, so I'm not completely at a loss.

Was very interested to see how others work with what are basically, dream customers.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster