I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Winding Checks
Posted by: Jim Buraczewski (---.dsl.milwwi.ameritech.net)
Date: December 09, 2004 05:58PM

Hi All,

Please pardon me in advance for my stupidity I am new to rod building. I stumbled on this site while doing a little research. I am currently building my first 2 spinning rods simply from my own home grown knowledge, a few books I have purchased and what I have been able to learn from forums like this.

My question is about Winding Checks. What are they and what purpose do the serve?

Thanks,

Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Winding Checks
Posted by: Kevin Kresowaty (---.nwcspa.adelphia.net)
Date: December 09, 2004 06:26PM

Purely decorative. It can also be used to cover up cosmetic flaws where the end of your grip meets the blank. I like the metal winding checks when I do use them. The plain plastic ones aren't my cup of tea.

Kevin

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.sequimschools.wednet.edu)
Date: December 09, 2004 06:28PM

Oh boy, another addict!!!! Welcome Jim. A winding check is simply a ring of some sort that fits on the blank at the top of the foregrip. Just about anything can be used, from rubber rings to toe rings, synthetic stone to sterling silver, even buttons. You don't have to use one at all. I don't know the original reason for them but if there is any error on boring the forgrip, the winding check will cover the gap and provides a finished look. If you use the search here there will be plenty of info on what builders use for winding checks, you'll be amazed!

Posted by: Joel Todd (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: December 09, 2004 06:31PM

A winding check is that little disk that goes on the foregrip of your handle.They fit around your blank and butt up against your foregrip.They are usually made out of vinyl,rubber,etc.They give your handle a finished look.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: December 09, 2004 06:40PM

I didn't use one on a rod I just did now have a big circle of finish on the EVA foregrip that looks like crap and now I wish I had used one. Dope!

Phil

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: December 09, 2004 06:49PM

Phil, The winter time provides the best opportunity to rebuild that crappy rod and make it shine. I rebuilt the lower halves of two 12 wgt fly rods because the reel seats just didn't do the rest of the rods proper justice. Patrick Vernacchio

Posted by: Ralph Jones (---.att.net)
Date: December 09, 2004 06:57PM

I'm at the point where I decide on a winding check, What kind (material and/shape) or not at all. I think I'll use a Turk's Head knot of Gudebrod # 206 red in a size FF this time. ( first time). Ralph

Posted by: John Dow (---.snet.net)
Date: December 09, 2004 06:59PM

Phil , all is not lost , if you can clean up the circle a little , you can just find one that fits and slice it and glue it in place . Take your time , put the slice on the bottom and cover the whole thing with a light coat of finish epoxy , you'll be the only one that knows if you do it right .

Posted by: John Butterfield (---.adsl.gulftel.net)
Date: December 09, 2004 07:17PM

Once in a while I do not use a winding check, that is because I forgot to put it on and have already wrapped several guides. I then come up with some neat thing to doll that place up and claim that is how I planned it in the first place. John Butterfield

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: December 09, 2004 08:00PM

Thanks for the tips guys.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 09, 2004 09:42PM

You can use a verity of materials. concave rubber washer , or O rings . I some times use wrpping threads and build a tappered wrap.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 10, 2004 12:12AM

Some even take the time and purchase an inexpensive ring at whatever store, work them until they have a taper and fit them on the blank. I've been looking at them...but I have always used the black vinyl ones; they look very nice on a rod and I cover them completely with finish. With my magnifier on the area I try to get the finish just barely past the winding check onto the cork foregrip to seal the area from moisture, etc.

Putter

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.129.164.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 10, 2004 09:31AM

Cheap ear rings and toe rings work well also Like said, cut to fit, file the edges so they fit nice

Posted by: Marty Nowicki (64.191.63.---)
Date: December 10, 2004 09:35AM

Or just apply finish right up to the edge of the grip face. Let it seep slightly up onto the grip like a filet.

Posted by: Steve Biehler (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 10, 2004 10:59AM

I've used a chunk of walnut that was shaped to fit. Length varies from 3/4" to 1=1/4". Finish off with a coat of epoxy and it really shines in the morning sun.

Posted by: Bruce Young (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 10, 2004 11:12AM

I have built winding checks or Hosels so to speak out of rod bond. Just taper the The Rod Bond from the grip down to the blank. Let dry overnight and sand to shape. Then use wrapping thread and finish. With a few gold or silver inlays they are very custom and attractive. I now have customers request them.

Try them,

Bruce Young
Landing Gear

Posted by: MaryLouVandeRiet (---.mesh.net)
Date: December 10, 2004 01:01PM

I have stopped using plain winding checks and build my own, learned it from a Artie Hebert video.
I use epoxy as the base and then when it cures, I wrap a coordinating color on it and my customers love it...
In fact my regular customers always ask for one....so does anyone need some black and boring rubber winding checks ??

ML

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster