I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Defective Rod Bond?
Posted by: Dan Colville (---.buf.adelphia.net)
Date: December 09, 2004 04:20PM

Hey guys! I just opened some rod bond. The white resin part in really clumpy. I have used rod bond before and both parts were a gel. Is this a defective resin? I would hate to glue a handle up only to have it come apart. It also doesnt mix evenly.
Sincerely,
Daniel W. Colville

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Defective Rod Bond?
Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: December 09, 2004 04:36PM

Dan, Flex Coat does that as well. I sit them in some warm water for a few minutes and the solution goes clear and attains normal pourability. Do a search on Rod Bond. You'll find lots of info on the same problem and recommended fixes.

Posted by: Kurt McKenna (---.neo.rr.com)
Date: December 09, 2004 04:36PM

Take the lid off of it and zap it in the microwave for 15 seconds. If you are worried about it. Other wise just use it. It's fine.

Posted by: Joe Kassuba (---.wa.charter.com)
Date: December 10, 2004 12:48AM

Hello Dan
Rod Bond (U40) product resin is supposed to be "white" and "clumpy". The hardener is like a stiff jelly.
It is an epoxy paste formulated for rod building by Trondak.
Simply take equal parts of resin and hardener and place them on a flat piece of cardboard or something similar and use something like a clean popsicle stick to mix them. Use the stick as you would a putty knife to blend and mix the two parts. The amounts of resin and hardener simply need to be close in volume. You do not need to measure by volume. Though you can. Like any other two part epoxy use caution to not contaminate resin and hardener containers.
I have worked with Trondak over the years demonstrating and selling their products. If I can be of any help send me and email or give me a call.
Regards Joe Kassuba

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster