I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sully Double Dryer
Posted by: Marc Wisniewski (---.216-170.unk.tds.net)
Date: December 09, 2004 09:07AM

Do both sides of the Sully double rod dryer accept butt sections that have grips on them? I can't seem to find a good picture of one. And, to any of you that have one, are you happy with it? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sully Double Dryer
Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: December 09, 2004 09:13AM

Each side has a rubber chuck similar to the rubber things that fit on the bottom of a crutch, except smaller in diameter. The I.D. of the chuck is just big enough to hold most fly reels, but it does stretch a little. For larger diameter butts/handles, you need to just tape the rod end to the rotating rubber chuck.

There are also 2 wooden pieces provided, each with a slightly different taper, that you use to dry the tip sections. The wooden pieces fit snugly in the rubber chucks.

I like my double 2-speed dryer a lot but that's because I do mostly fly rods. If I made a lot of spinning rods, I'd put larger chucks on there so I didn't have to use tape. I apply at 18RPM and dry at 4RPM.

Hope this tells you what you need to know.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2004 12:03PM

Marc,
I had one of the Sully double dryers that sat in my garage for a number of years and I finally gave it away. I did not like the chuck scheme they used but the reason I quit using it was that it was very noisey. Maybe mine had a bad motor and the one that Steve has does not make as much noise.
The chuck scheme that Flex Coat uses on their dryers is much better in my judgement. It will accept almost any type of rod. You can make your own with the 2 1/2" or 3" end cap of PVC pipe with rubber stretched over the end with a hole in the rubber and then held there with a hose clamp. I think if you look at the pictures above under equipment you will see ones that people have made up themselves or you can just look at the pictures of the Flex Coat dryers.

Date: December 09, 2004 12:07PM

Emory is right about the noise, but I have been using mine for several hours every week for 4 years or so and it is still going strong. Many times it runs for 8 hours straight overnight. The motor has sounded like it was dying since I got it but apparently it is not.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2004 12:20PM

Steve,
You must be more laid back than I am or is it purring away just music to your ears. When I used it the one I had it drove me nuts.
Have you tried the Flex Coat type chucks? I have six of them that I made up on my bench and I really like them. I tend to like wrapping a bunch of rods and then applying epoxy to a number of them all at once. They will accept a very wide range of handle diameters and all you have to do is just push them through the rubber membraine and they will stay in place. I like them well enough that I have actually made one that I use on my rod lathe. It is much faster and easier than the normal lathe chuck.

Date: December 09, 2004 12:31PM

Emory, I haven't tried them but I'm sure it's a better design than the Sully chuck. I haven't had the motivation to tinker with it since out of a couple hundred rods I've made, probably only 10 of them haven't fit the Sully and a piece of duct tape solved that problem in about 3 seconds. I wouldn't describe myself as all that laid back - there are many things that irritate me but that just isn't one of them. If the motor had died, now that would have irritated me!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster