I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Combinations
Posted by: Fernando Torres (4.43.108.---)
Date: December 09, 2004 04:45AM

I was watching a video with Artie Hubert? on wrapping guides.
He did one wrap with metallic gold then the over wrap with plain red,once the epxoy was applied it transitioned and gave it a candy apple red look. He did not apply color preserver to the thread and this gave it that look.

I was wondering if anyone has experimented with thread in this manner to achieve different shades/blends etc.

Thanks
Fernando

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Combinations
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2004 05:52AM

Yes - all the time. Regular thread over metallic (gold, silver, gunsmoke, aluminium) and no color preserver is a very nice effect. What you will find is that different manufacturer's threads and threads of different diameters also appear different without color preserver. Another "different look" is to use a bright color underwrap, treat it with CP and allow it to dry then overwrap with white regular thread to hold he guide in place and finish with no CP. The guide foot is visible and the guide appears to be floating on the underwrap.. Lots and lots of 'games to be played' with thread, thread combinations with/without color preserver. Just keep a record of your results (and a wrapping stick is a good idea too)

Posted by: Barret Chrisman (---.raytheon.com)
Date: December 09, 2004 12:59PM

Fernando,

I just did a trim wrap and a matching 20" mark at the base of a fly rod this way. I did a silver underwrap (w/one coat of finish), and then wrapped garnet over the silver sans a 3 turn trim of silver showing through. When Epoxy was applied the garnet still darkened a bit (matching the regular wraps with no CP), and allowed the silver to show through. It's very subtle, but in the sunlight you really see it glow.

For light fly rods, it seems it might add too much weight for regular guide wraps, but it should be good for the butt area.

Nice effect.

Barret

Posted by: Fernando Torres (4.43.108.---)
Date: December 10, 2004 02:00AM

Thanks for the info, I was looking at and old rod I have in the attic which I will strip and will be using to make a wrapping stick.

I have already started to look at mt small inventory of threads to see what combinations I will be using and will keep a log of them.

Fernando

Posted by: Rick Case (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: December 10, 2004 02:32AM

Fernando,
If you use a gold or silver as a base coat and then use the straight nylon Gudebrod thread, you will get the candy effect. If you use an NCP thread, you will not get the same effect. I have use the scarlet, forest green, lime green and more. They really turn out nice.

Rick
RodsByRick

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 10, 2004 07:21AM

Look on the Photo Page under guide wraps. There are a bunch I've done in this manne. Matter of fact, I don't wrap guides any other way.

Posted by: Keith Fischer (---.marvin.com)
Date: December 10, 2004 08:09AM

For those that have tried this to create this effect; do you have any problems getting the overwrap threads packed tight? I do, but maybe it is my limited skills that is the problem.

I was wondering if anyone has tried a strip of aluminum foil as the underwrap?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 10, 2004 08:45AM

Put a coat of epoxy on the underwrap & let it get nice and hard before doing the overwrap. I use all size A thread, but if you use a larger thread of reh overwrap than you did for teh underwrap, you can skip the coat of epoxy on the underwrap.

I haven't, but I do know people use Mylar tubing for underwrap, and underwraps on butt wraps. I think Merrick sels it. I just use metallic, or Holographic. I think Putter uses some foil-ish type of stuff for his underwraps.

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: December 11, 2004 12:41PM

If you are worried about extra weight being added on light flyrods with this nylon over metallic thread method,why not try switching the underwrap of metallic thread for something like flashabou(fly tying material).That would be easier to use than say aluminum foil,and weigh less too.

Fly tying material like flashabou is VERY thin,weighs almost nothing,and comes in all kinds of flashy colors(silver or gold would work well) that are brighter than any thread.I use it all the time to wrap underbodies on chironimids and other fly patterns,then overwrap the flashabou with other materials(colored wire for ribbing,frostbite,midge tubing,etc) for depth.The flashabou underbody gives the pattern more depth and makes the material over top very translucent.It almost "glows".

On some patterns like the "Chromie" I use the flashabou for the main body(just use 3 or 4 strands instead of one so you get better coverage when wrapping) and just add another colored material as a ribbing like wire,another color of flashabou,etc.The problem with these is the fragile nature of the thin flashabou so these flies get coated with something like Sally Hanson's Hard As Nails clear finger polish,or even better,a thin layer of brushable super glue.This doesn't change the look or shine at all but makes for a very hard,tough coating over them(if they can take the abuse of dozens of fish chewing on them then they will certainly hold up while thread is wrapped over them).

I've done a few practice wraps like this and really liked the results with some thread colors,but haven't actually done a rod like this yet.I don't see why one couldn't do the underbody of a guide wrap like this,using silver flashabou or something,coat it with fast drying brushable super glue to secure it,and then wrap over the top with nylon or silk.The effect should be the same(or close to it) and the weight of the thread underbody would be cut down considerably.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster