I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

surf rod help needed
Posted by: john black (63.146.104.---)
Date: December 09, 2004 03:01AM

my son just HAS TO HAVE a surf rod for xmas so i got a kit from mudhole, the 12 footer, 2 piece. do i need to find the spine and worry about all that on this monster? i will do a static test, probably with him on the end of it. the small end! does anyone have a guide spacing chart that i can use as a starting point? can i use U40 rod bond for the reel seat? does the reel seat go over the cork tape and be bonded to it or do i end the wrap before the reel seat area, glue the reel seat, then continue the cork wrap?any suggestions concerning this whole project will be appreciated. hope i haven't used up my quota of questions for the year. thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: surf rod help needed
Posted by: Barry Thomas (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2004 05:38AM

John; yes you need to find the Spine on the blank.yes you can use U40 to bond the seat to the blank. do the butt wrap first then the seat then the fore grip on the upper and lower end of your cork tape wraps do a short (1/4 ") thread wrap to secure the cork tape. taper the front edge of the fore grip and wrap up the ramp or cover the end with shrink wrap .
also do a short (twice Dia.) reenforcment wrap at the female ferrule end
as far as Guide spacing, These are off my own 12 footer
from the FRONT of the seat 33-52-68.5-81.5-94-103 you can start with them

GOOD LUCK!

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2004 05:47AM

"use up all your tips for the year"? Sure why not it's almost next year anyway! Barry has given you all you need to get underway.

Posted by: Shawn Taylor (66.155.194.---)
Date: December 09, 2004 09:02AM

John, you have enough info to get started. I can make a few suggestions on my preferences. I won't even get into rod length, weight expected to throw, etc... I am going assume spinning and hopefully Barry's spacing will get you started and a static and casting test will get you exact. As for the cork tape, I prefer to determine where my reel seat will be and wrap the cork tape from the butt end to that spot. I simply put a wrap of tape at both ends. I try and get the bottom of the seat to sit just over the edge on the cork tape to hold it there, and use a butt cap on the other end. I'll use Rod Bond to secure the reel seat, and when feasable, try and utilize hypalon as my foregrip. I have found, that it holds up much better to the wet and slime than the cork tape. Therefore, no need for additional tape for the foregrip. I am sure you got it from there.

Date: December 09, 2004 01:53PM

THANKS guys!

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: December 09, 2004 02:18PM

Look at the rod building articles by Al Goldberg. You can find links to them I think through both Mudhole and Stripersonline. TK's book is also great but I don't know if you can get a copy in time to get done by the 25th.

Posted by: Mike Williams (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 09, 2004 07:22PM

I don't think it's going out on a limb to say that the very best surf rod info ever written was the in the volume 7 issue number 1 Rodmaker from back in February of this year. Get that one if nothing else.

Date: December 10, 2004 12:03AM

ALSO- the EVA grips that came w/it are extermely small I.D. compared to the O.D. of the rod. yes i read toms book covering this but i don't know if using rod bond as a lube can overcome this big of a difference. i also have some hypalon that i'd like to use but its even smaller inside that the EVA. any thoughts/help?

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2004 01:53AM

Rat-tail wood rasp and ream out the inside diameter. The hypalon will expand more easily than the EVA. Check often for fit & remember it should be snug (require some effort to get down to the spot you want it to be). Better that they sent you smaller inside diameter as you can always take some out.

Date: December 10, 2004 02:29AM

KEN- problem is that the EVA is very thin already on the leading end of the grip and there is nothing left to ream out on that end. very thin there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster