I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for a specific rod finish
Posted by: Rich Spofford (---.onlinemac.com)
Date: March 06, 2002 10:25AM

I'm building my first rod. I've got the guides tied and am working on the trim. A rod builder (doesn't build any more) friend of mine recommended a product called "Hi-Build Hi-Finish Rod Finish" by Epoxy Coatings Inc. Does any one have or know a source?

Any help is appreciated.

Rich

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for a specific rod finish
Posted by: Bob Batson (---.olypen.com)
Date: March 06, 2002 10:39AM

Epoxy Coatings number is 510-471-7800. Fax is 510-471-2390. Usually this company supplies OEM, but they could possibly point you in the direction of a distributor.
Bob Batson
Rainshadow Rod Blanks
Forecast Rod Components

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: March 06, 2002 11:18AM

They no longer sell in small quantities. I spoke with Ray a couple weeks back about this and he is not interested in getting back into small quantity sales. I believe they sell by the gallon only now.

Something you may want to try that is at least similar is the finish offered by AMTAK. We tested it in RodMaker a few issues back and it's really good stuff. Very clear, very flexible and yet sets quite hard. They have two viscosities to choose from.

Posted by: Rich Spofford (---.onlinemac.com)
Date: March 06, 2002 11:39AM

Thanks for the quick response! Now tell me a bit more. The reason my friend recommended this finish was because if you put it on in thin coats (3-4 times) at 40 minutes apart, a dryer was not needed. It didn’t sag. Will the AMTAK do the same? It sounds like it has the same qualities. I have flex coat but I’ll obviously need to get a dryer before I apply it.

Thanks again.

Rich

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: March 06, 2002 11:45AM

I don't know where he got that info. The finish they continue to supply is like most other epoxies we use for wrap finishes. You'd be very hard pressed to recoat in 40 mintues. I have used gallons of the stuff and it's good finish, but usually only takes one coat and requires about 3 hours to set and 2 or 3 days to cure hard. I've never used a dryer, but still had to hand rotate it to keep it from sagging. I suppose if you only put a tiny amount, that none of the finishes would sag much, it at all. But we'd be talking about very thin applications and you would need several of them.

Epoxy Coatings once made a product that was a solvent based epoxy and that might be more like what your friend is talking about. But that was discontinued long ago.

U-40 PermaGloss can be reapplied in about an hour or so and will take 4 to 8 applications depending upon how much depth you require. This might be more like what you are looking for.

Posted by: Karen Hapka (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 07, 2002 11:34AM

Richard,
I carry the Epoxy Coatings line of products they are listed on my website or you can e-mail me direct and I will help you out.
Karen Hapka
Bingham Enterprises

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster