I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

which tip #
Posted by: eric riggs (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: December 09, 2004 12:08AM

I'm using a Lami GSB 136 2MH blank.
I decided to go with the Fuji HNSG sic guides with titanium frames.
however I don't understand the sizing for the tip....?
The blank has a size 16 tube tip.
The tips Fuji says go with the guides I'm using are the PST.
The only one I see with a size 12 ring is the PST 12-10 -12...Am I not right in assuming this would not fot my blank?
Should I be using a UST 12-16-12 instead?
I need the ring size to be a 12.
Thanks!
;^)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: which tip #
Posted by: Kris Victorino (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: December 09, 2004 12:51AM

Eric,

I just looked in my fuji catalog. For a size 16 tip, either use a
PST16F(10) or (14). Or you can use a UST12F(16). Eithe of which is listed as compatible in their catalog. Hope this helps

Kris

Posted by: eric riggs (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: December 09, 2004 02:22AM

Kris,

That answers my question completly!
Thank YOU very much.

eric

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: December 09, 2004 09:13AM

The FUJI SIC (Silicon Carbide series) TIP-TOPs in the PST Style only goes up to a 14 / 64ths inch tube size.

For a larger tube size, If 16 / 64ths is indeed the size that you measured for your blank in hand, (not just off the catalog specifications), Then you need to step up to the UST series.

UST-12mm-#16 tip (or -18) / 64ths ~ $10.

Worth every penny for the UST or PST (which are ~ $12) tips. They are a bit heavy, but nearly indestructible. The flange ring bulges over the frame and keeps the line off the frame. Also, the large toroid ring has a large radius of curvature as the line bends over the ceramic. The cheaper tips have a sharper edge, like an angle in a drilled hole on the inside of the ring surface. The PST or UST have more of a bagel-like cross-section around the edge, without so sharp an angle. I think that puts less wear on the line as it is dragged over the corner. Some of the other turbo-type boat rod tips in the Hardloy ceramics have similar shapes. But the PST or UST series is my 1st choice for surf stix. IMO. -Cliff Hall- Gainesville

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster