I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

has anybody tried to thread titanium...
Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: December 08, 2004 01:05PM

Has anybody tried to work with titanium. I would like to build a extension handle that screws into the rod butt. I was thinking about using an aluminum cylinder epoxied into the rod butt with a threaded hole to accept the extension. I was thinking about using a titanium rod for the extension. I can get 12" of threaded rod for about $25 or 12" of solid rod for about $10. My question is can I thread it by hand with ordinary HSS threading dies?
What diameter to choose. comes in threaded from 6/32 on up. For aluminum I would probably use 1/4-20. Does that sound about right for the titanium?

I am hoping to end up with a salt water travel rod that I can 2 hand or can take the long extension off and put a short one one when one handing. Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: has anybody tried to thread titanium...
Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2004 01:24PM

Bill,
I got a lot of pieces of titanium tubes from one of the rod manufacturers a year or so ago and have done quite a bit of experimenting with it, or maybe I should say just screwing around with it. I have found it to be difficult to work with. I cut it with a diamond blade in a chop saw, a hack saw is a waste of a lot of time and elbow grease. I also found it to be difficult to thread. I am not sure what alloy of titanium that I have but it is pretty tough stuff.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 08, 2004 01:43PM

Here is a post on someone who did the same thing as you want to . Not sure what material he used though, gotta read through it.

[www.noreast.com]

Posted by: Greg DeFoe (---.customer.alter.net)
Date: December 08, 2004 03:09PM

Commercially pure titanium is 110+ HB (Brinell)depending on the alloy composition it can easily reach 400. Not to get to technical that means it's pretty hard stuff. It can be machined using HSS and carbide both coated and uncoated. Machining must be continuous to prevent work hardening. Threading is difficult because the material tends to gall (pull and stick). Tuff stuff. GOOD LUCK

Posted by: Kurt McKenna (---.neo.rr.com)
Date: December 08, 2004 04:36PM

I deal with Titanium at my real job at least ones a week. The stuff doesn't turn and thread too bad on a full CNC machine. The sfm used to machine Titanium is on the slow side with all carbide tooling. It would take forever with HSS, but possiable. If you had even a metal lathe of some sort and a good coolant supply, I would say go for it. By hand......spend the extra money.

Posted by: John Mantele (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: December 08, 2004 08:43PM

Bill,

Forget the Titanium - you are just asking for trouble, plus you do not need it.

My friend just built an extension like you are discussing, but he used a stainless steel threaded rod for the connection. Copy and paste the following link into your Address/Location Window and read all about it

[www.noreast.com]

My Friend Dick Meirowitz just caught 3 Yellowfin Tuna, all over 200 Lbs on this rod. Search the posts on Rodbuilding.org for the article.

John Mantele (aka: @#$%&)

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 08, 2004 09:22PM

@#$%&, I guess you didn't read the responses before you posted, huh? lol.

Guys rather than re-invent the wheel, take a look at teh link, as @#$%& stated, 3 200#+ Tuna have been caught this past week on teh extended rod, with the @#$%& Rollers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster