I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

St. Croix ice rod tips
Posted by: James Hinty (---.rev.sherbtel.net)
Date: December 07, 2004 01:27AM

I am currently making 10 ice rods with St. Croix carbon blanks. I recently became aware of the strike indicator springs St. Croix sells and got excited about adding them to my rods. I ordered 10 of them direct from St. Croix but when they arrived there were no holders to attach the springs to. It turns out that these tips are proprietary and a U.S. patent has yet to be completed. So ... you can buy the springs but I have no idea how to attach them. The proprietary tips are ingenious and allow the user to slide the spring to adjust the sensitivity. Anyway, it looks good in the store. Anyone have experience with these, suggestions for cobbling a solution, or an overseas contact who might be able to hook me up with 10 of these intriguing tip tops? The first skim of ice is appearing on a few area lakes and I'm getting anxious. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
James

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St. Croix ice rod tips
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 07, 2004 02:11AM

I still use HT "spring bobbers". They aren't adjustable like these you're speaking of, but they're just a slim, flat piece of metal with a metal eyelet on the end for the line to go through. I just wrap them on the end of the rod. I paint this eyelet white, then fluorescent orange.

I wouldn't ice fish perch without them!!! I use them on walleye with lighter jigs, too. A regular bobber doesn't show a bite (especially with ice slush forming in the hole ) when the perch takes the bait as he's moving up the water column towards me-the spring bobber shows this type of bite very well.

Putter

Posted by: Raymond Mazza (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 07, 2004 11:35AM

You may have a problem there. Being that this is new, they will likely want to sell as many of their factory built rods as possible first, before putting the product into the market. I've read a lot about this spring bobber. Seems many guys like it. Just like anything else, proponents and opponents. I don't rely to heavily on what I read in magazine reviews or from "pros". These people get paid by the companies that build and/or sell the equipment, so it's pretty rare to hear about a poorly made, designed or overpriced product. I wouldn't mind trying one of the new bobbers out. I love to try new things as much as the next guy. Too bad fishing doesn't have an Unsponsored T&E magazine like the Firearms guys do (Gun Tests). There is a web site that does T&E and seems to be pretty good about it though. Can't think of the name, though. I hate when that happens!!
Ray

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 07, 2004 12:24PM

It's that Alzheimer's kickin' in, Ray. What do you use for spring bobbers, Ray?? What do you think of them??

Putter

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.365u.will.k12.il.us)
Date: December 07, 2004 04:16PM

Raymond, you may be talking about tackletour.com They do reviews of alot of different equipment. I am hesitant about their recomendations however. They get the stuff for free from the companies, and I dont think I have ever seen an item recieve a poor review.

Scott Sheets

Posted by: steve runyan (---.palmer.mtaonline.net)
Date: December 07, 2004 08:25PM

I've looked at the tip top St. Croix makes.. it looks great! We were mulling over ways to fix the spring, too, at the shop I work at. You should be able to get that grommet St. Croix uses at a local hardware store, and what I thought might work is to take a small single foot fly guide and wrap it upside down on the tip, just below the tube of your rod tip. Put a grommet in it, the spriing in that, and it should work ok... just will add a little bit of weight and a flat spot to your tip. Not so sure about the ultralite SC blank, but this will definitely work for a heavier rod, if you want to use lighter gear on it and still be able to detect the bites.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster