I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reel seat selection
Posted by: Cindy Harlow (---.ev1.net)
Date: December 06, 2004 12:05PM

Hey Guys and Gals,

Here's a question that has probably been asked already but I can't find it via a search.

If I go out and buy a blank, how do I figure out what size reel seat to get?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reel seat selection
Date: December 06, 2004 12:24PM

Addendum to above question:

Silly me didn't scroll down far enough on the posts to see another question pretty much identical to mine. Finally scrolled down far enough and found the information I needed.

HOWEVER any advise on selecting a reel seat, especially for casting, would be appreciated.

Cindy

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: December 06, 2004 12:25PM

For most spinning seats that I'm aware of, the reel seat sizes are in mm for the OD, so it's a matter of choosing how think you want the seat in your hand.

Most fly seats will tell you what the ID is in inches.

Most casting grips are in mm for the ID. Measure the dia. of the blank where you want the reel seat, and multiply that by 25.4 to get mm.

For example if the blank measured out at .315" where you want the seat, you will probably want an 8mm seat.

Hope that helps a little.

Date: December 06, 2004 12:29PM

You are a sweetheart, Mick. Thank you!

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: December 06, 2004 12:39PM

It's just a vicious rumor. I'm pretty much of a pain.

As far as selecting a seat, just find something you like. I generally use PacBay GB16C ones or Fuji ECSM ones. Both are graphite, exposed blank types. For myself, I prefer the Fuji's. They are a bit slimmer so I like the feel a hair better over the PacBays.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 06, 2004 01:05PM

Hi Cindy,

If you're not sure of what an exposed blanl reel sear is, it's a casting seat that has a small cut out in the bottom so your finger will be in direct contact with the blank for sensitivity. For those seats, like Mick said (He's right, he is a pain!), you need to know the diameter of the blank where the middle of the seat will sit. Obviously, if you don't have the blank, this is difficult.
Most vendors will fit a seat for you if you tell them the length that your rear grip will be.

Mike

Posted by: Steve Parsons (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2004 02:13PM

On smaller reel seats, you want to make sure the reel foot fits the seat. Some reel feet are too fat for the smaller seats. That can be a bummer after you expoxy the handle in place.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: December 06, 2004 02:59PM

Cindy,
Do you know the blank you want to buy? The vendor sponsors here can help you choose a right size to fit the blank. You'll need to know the type (spinning, casting, or fly) and the wt. or line rating. They can help you with choosing and matching.
Don't hesitate to contact for futher advice or assistance to help you out. That's what we're here for.

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel
info@rodreel.com

Date: December 11, 2004 01:07PM

Right now I'm just looking around, Rich. I've got an idea or 10 floating around upstairs but nothing solid yet. I will say after reading the posts and other information, I've decided that when I do order a blank, I'm going to email at the same time and see if I can "kit" one up at the same time with what I do need that isn't laying around at the time.

Once again, thank you everyone for your help and advise. And I don't care what they say about Mick, he's a softie on the inside.

Cindy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster