I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Lathe
Posted by: Bill Higdon (---.satx.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2004 10:06AM

I'm going to purchase my first rod lathe this week. I was wondering if anyone has or used the Renzetti Rod Lathe? I would appreciate any comments.

The rods I intend to build are mainly fly rods in various weights and lengths. In addition, ultra lite spinning. The spinning rods would be 2oz or less. fitted for a reel 7ozs or less.

I am also looking at the Renzetti Wonder Weaver. Is this a good product to introduce graphics into the process?

Also, If anyone has other suggestions, please comment. My bugget for the lathe and accessories is about $2000, unless I can be convinced, I should spend more.

Thanks in advance for your comments

Bill Higdon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Lathe
Posted by: Michael Collier (---.pephil.hawkcommunications.com)
Date: December 06, 2004 10:24AM

I have a Renzetti for close to 20 years and I do everything on it . I think it is the best lathe you can buy.

Posted by: Jeff Fultz (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2004 10:30AM

You can't go wrong with a Renzetti lathe. I have a couple of them in my shop and use them for various tasks everyday. You likely won't turn under power for fly rods and light spinning rods but you'll really appreciate the rod supports and thread carriage when wrapping guides. I have one lathe dedicated to just turning grips. I bought the tail stock with live center, drilling tail stock, and turning rest and added my own heavy duty turning motor (Renzetti does sell a heavy duty turning motor).

I wouldn't bother with some of the accessories like the laser alignment tool. You'll do a better job sighting down the top of a rod with your own eyes.

Posted by: John Raymond (---.prxy.klmz.mi.core.com)
Date: December 06, 2004 10:52AM

Jeff, i was heading out to the shop this morning to wrap my first fly rod when i caught your post on maybe not using power on fly rods. I wrap light spinnig rods all the time on my renzetti, but i do use light tension. Am i missing something? Just curious.. Thanks John

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.174.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 06, 2004 10:54AM

I bought 1 of the originals back around '83 or '84 and have had 2 more since then. Great machine. You would never regret buying it. The last rod lathe you'll ever need. And, it's made by a company that has been in business for several decades and is likely to be around for several more.

If you have $2,000 to spend, then the Renzetti Master Rod Lathe with about 4 ot 5 rod supports, 8 spool thread carriage, boring tailstock, tool rest and about 8 to 12 feet of bed length will be well within your budget.

You might also check the Custom Power Wrap machine from Anglers Workshop, just to be aware of the various machines in this range.

The Wonder Weaver can certainly make a strong claim as being the most capable weaving jig on the market.

Posted by: Allen Madsen (---.1.15.66.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: December 06, 2004 11:07AM

I bought a Renzetti this last spring and feel it was money well spent. Well built unit. I bought their complete unit package,the only extras I would get is a couple more rod supports and an extra section of bed extension. The pulley has four holes for 90 degree indexing I added four more so I have 45 degree indexing for doing butt wraps.

Posted by: Jeff Fultz (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2004 12:34PM

John,

The wraps I use on fly rods are so short that doing them by hand is quicker and easier.

Posted by: Steve Parsons (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2004 01:44PM

I don't have a lot of space, so I fastened my lathe to a 2X6 board to length. I can then pick up the whole unit and set in on 2 saw horses outside for cork work (windy days are best). Inside it rests on a table. I also use it for drying with a small motor attached to a piece of wood, that's C-clamped to the board with a belt running to the lathe. Those 90 degree indexes are great for butt wraps. I have a tool that measures the center of the blank from the lathe bed. Just a great tool.

Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 06, 2004 07:49PM

I hardly do any power wrapping. But I have a Renzetti and it makes power wrapping so much easier. Everything is so smooth and accurate and it's so easy to adjust the rod supports that I can't imagine using anything else. It may be overkill for what I do but I'd never look back and use anything else again. Money well spent as far as I'm concerned.

Posted by: Ed Manheimer (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 06, 2004 10:14PM

I have two Renzetti's and love them. The indexing is very handy. I use it for everything. It is by far the very best. If you use it for drying cover the bed with paper to keep it clean. You cannot go wrong.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.177.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 06, 2004 10:26PM

Or, wax the bed. Any finish or adhesive spilled on it can be "popped" off after it's dried/cured.

The next issue of RodMaker has an article on some modifications for the Renzetti.

Posted by: Bill Higdon (---.satx.rr.com)
Date: December 07, 2004 11:32AM

I will be ordering the Renzetti Complete Rod Lathe today. I have also added the following:

Wonder Weaver
Tool Rest
Morton Graph Guide
Vertical Spine Finder
2 extra Rod Supports
Extra Bed Extention
Large Spool Attachment
Laser Guide Alignment
Tail Stock w/Chuck
Live Center Tail Stock

Please fill free to comment.

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. I appreciate you willingness to share information.

Bill

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster