I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

layers of epoxy
Posted by: Ken Blevins (---.pittpa.adelphia.net)
Date: December 06, 2004 08:42AM

Do most builders use several thin layers of epoxy on the wrapping or just apply one coat and leave it at that. I can't see any real advantage to several thin layers other than they are most likely smoother.I would perfer to do it the correct way [strongest ] but I also like to see results quickly [A personailty flaw].
As a side note . The rubber band trick used for holding the guides in place on the blank worked really well.
thanks everyone
Ken Blevins

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: layers of epoxy
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.35.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 06, 2004 09:33AM

There really is no "correct" way. I use one application and leave it at that. Others use two or more and get similar results. In most cases, the thinner viscosity epoxies cannot be applied as heavily with sagging so you're forced to use multiple applications with those, if you want greater finish depth. With say, Flex Coat Lite or LS Supreme Regular, you'll be hard pressed to complete any but the very lightest rod wraps with just one application. With regular Flex Coat or Supreme high build, however, it's not very hard to get a deep finish in just one application.

Also keep in mind, that if you multiple applications with say, 12 to 48 hours of each other, you'll end up with what amounts to just one "coat" as the layers meld with each other. If you wait more than a couple days between applications, you really do have multiple coats on the wraps. This is why it's necessary to scuff the surface of epoxy that has set more than a couple days before applying more.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: December 06, 2004 09:40AM

On lighter rods where weight is more of an issue, thinner layers of thread coat add less weight to the final rod. That helps preserve the quick recovery or "damping" of the rod blank, because of kinetic inertia and the fact that the vibration of a higher mass has a lower resonance frequency when you "tap" the rod. We tend to think of a higher frequency vibration has feeling more "sensitive". (If we were snakes or earthworms on the ground, we'd probably think a lower frequency conveyed more sensory information.)

On heavier rods, how thick the thread finish is, is much less of an issue than the weight of the rod itself and the guides chosen.

So, overall, the choice between one thick coat, or multiple thinner coats depends or your preferences for looks and ease-of-application. IMO. -Cliff Hall-

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2004 09:57AM

Cliff,
If I understand you that means that I can put more coats of epoxy on my snakes and earth worms. Is that correct?

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: December 06, 2004 10:50AM

That's right, Emory - the stiffer the better ! -Mr.Stuffy-

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: December 06, 2004 12:49PM

What kind of rod is it? The reason I ask is this. If that rod is going to be on the deck of a bass boat, it's good to have a thicker coat of epoxy on it, just for protection from bouncing lures, other rods, etc. I still wouldn't go with the "football" type epoxy finishes found on factory rods, but I put one extra thin coat on my rods that will go to tournament bass fishermen.

On my fly rods, however, I simply cover the threads only deep enough that I can't distinguish individual threads in the wrap. That's pretty thin, but since the rod will be in a case during most of it's traveling time, and taken good care of when being fished, it's plenty of epoxy.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2004 12:12AM

Cliff,
"Mr. Stiffy" now you are bragging and not tlaking about using epoxy on earth worms.

Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (---.jvl.wi.charter.com)
Date: December 07, 2004 01:09PM

I was taught by my rod crafting teacher in Malaysia that his teacher, the late master rod crafter Robert Tan, taught all of his students to use several coats with each successive coat becoming thicker. The difference between their extra fine finishes using the Flex-Coat High Build is their application process using extra fine Chinese calligraphy brushes and taking their time to make sure that the first coat was so thin that one wouldn't be able to see it after drying. The second coat would then be applied and after that dried, the outside observer would just be able to observe that the threads looked a tad oily but not coated. After the third coating, then one could tell they were coated. Our group has done several tests wrapping and finishing guides and then pulling on them with spring scales to see which finishes were stronger. The multi-level finish was much stronger. Of course there are many factors to consider in making such a strong finish. First of all, your drying environment needs to be very warm and very dry. Secondly you really need to take your time and realize that applying the finishing coats may take so long to do well, that you may have to mix up several extra batches of epoxy during the application. If you're in a rush, this fine and painstaking approach is not for you. I use this approach only on my heavier poundage rods and not on my light action rods. Just for comparison, to make the same thickness of epoxy that Shimano has on their rods, it would take an average of four to five layers by myself or my rod crafting teacher. Possibly even six. To make the football shaped finish, it would take at least six to eight coats with each succeeding coat becoming much thicker than the preceding. Again, for light action rods or for those in a rush, this is not for you!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster