I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Who makes that blank
Posted by: California Tackle (---.dsl.sndg02.pacbell.net)
Date: December 05, 2004 07:44PM

In reading the last post I am amazed that anyone would even ask that question, I know Bill will tell you that it is none of your business.
That is like asking me who builds my reels, Do you really think a manufacturer is going to tell you who or where their product is built.
Think about it.

The most important thing is not who or where it is built, It is the company that will stand behind their product when there is a problem.

Just my opinion
Dennis Larison
California Tackle

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Who makes that blank
Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: December 05, 2004 08:13PM

Some do though, look at cabela's house brand reels. The prodigy spinning reels are so obviously diawa, the use the same names for parts like "Air Bail", Hardbodyz, twisterbuster, ABS are all trademarks of Diawa and used in the print for the cabelas reel. Castaway rods website states:
"T700SX graphite is our high end, créme of the crop graphite. This material is a 57 million modulus SHX material throughout made by Shikari Blanks in Oklahoma. T700SX graphite is the lightest and most sensitive material available at any price."

Obviously it is their option how much info they wish to share with the consumer. I always would lean to the side of the more info. the better. Castaway makes a great product and so does shikari. It is probably good for castaway to be able to say that their blanks are made using such a high quality material by such a high quality company.

For my business, painting, I want my customers to always know what the paint product I am using is and why I selected this brand and type of paint to use for each purpose. Why can't a blank company say we use this blank manufacturer and this type of graphite for these reasons for each of their products?

Just my .02 on this topic.
Dean Veltman

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 05, 2004 08:21PM

Last I noticed, St. Croix admits that their blanks are made in Park Falls, Wisconsin.

Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 05, 2004 08:30PM

True, but not for much longer. St. Croix will begin building at least some of their lower end blanks and rods in China next year. I hated to hear it but understand why them feel the need to do it.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 05, 2004 08:35PM

Any one who has been around rod building long enough knows That in the States, many rod manufactures build blanks for other companys with their pravate lable on it; GLoomis used to build lots of Cabela's blanks. As stated eariler who give a rip just as long as the blank preform like you want it to and it has a warrenty. Food for thought!! Do you think these sponors who have their own lable blank make them!!
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 05, 2004 08:41PM

William: If so, I hope they will be up-front about that, and expect them to be. It's part of the informed decisons we all make, whether it's rods, reels, cars, even vegetables, whatever. I'm not a lawyer, but I think the "Made in ****" labels on commercial products are a legal requirement, and I always check those labels, in advance if possible. And Dennis, I'm less likely to buy if that information is not available.

Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 05, 2004 08:48PM

St. Croix has already announced that their Premier Graphite line will be made overseas starting in 2005.

What concerns me is that the SCII, III and IV might soon follow. Sometimes once these things start they tend to mushroom. Time will tell I suppose.

I don't know about others, but I still prefer blanks made in North America. I can't say they're better, but I prefer to buy them. I like knowing where they're made and who made them. That's just me.

Date: December 05, 2004 10:33PM

William you made a good point. I live in WA State not far from Lamiglas, GLoomis, Baston. and Pack Bay I furtherest I would have to drive is less than 3 hours. So if I have a problem I can take a short drive and talk eye ball to eye ball. Also some of our well known USA rod manufactures have some of their banks made off shore. So like I stated earilyer. as long as a blank has sometype of warrenty and it preforms like you want it to. Who give a rip where it was made. Look up rod builders!! Where in the great US can you but a manufactured product that is totally made in the US. I am a diabetic, I ware a 6,587 dollar insulin infusion pump owned by a US company but it is made off shore. As for componute parts how many are made in the states.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Steve Parsons (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2004 12:09PM

I guess I don't understand why someone who wants to buy on volume thinks the current distributor should disclose his specific mfg plant. Sounds like Bill is using good business sense, kudos to him. He needs to protect his brand name and the reputation of his product. don't think knowing a blank was made at ACME/Beijing tells the consumer much; and it's not a recognized name Cabella's would be willing to divulge if it was a Cabella's blank. I'm sure anyone with expertise in this area would be willing to serve as a consultant to Joe for a fee. Just seems like a business problem and not a rodbuilding item typical of this board.

Date: December 06, 2004 02:32PM

Like Steve said this is a good business . A investor has to protect his investments. Some of you know this , but a great majority don't Their are off shore companies who build for many of the same type of item but for differnt companies in the same building
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Mark Schulte (---.tnt1.valparaiso.in.da.uu.net)
Date: December 07, 2004 02:43AM

Let me ask you this. Do you know what brand of gas most of us use in our vehicles? We owned a Union 76 but the gas was Marathon!!! The same gas that most stations (Speedway, @#$%&,Thorntons,etc) other than Amoco/BP in our area because they are the only refineries in the area. What matters is the 76 card was honored, the gas was to their spec, and our customers didn't care where it came from. Same with tires, antifreeze and oils. There are only so many producers of these products but so many resellers who have the product made to their specs. So I too say so what as to where the blanks are made but thank you to the persons who bring them to us at a nominal fee.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster