I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need a 3.5 ceramic tip top
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.vnet-inc.com)
Date: December 05, 2004 04:32PM

I just recently bought a Pac Bay Traditions 7'9" 3 weight blank. The tip top is a size 3.5. I want to use ceramic guides on this, but it doesn't look like anybody makes a ceramic tip top in that size, or least I haven't been able to find one yet. Does anyone know who makes one that size or am I stuck using a size 4 and wrapping the tip to take up the extra space?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need a 3.5 ceramic tip top
Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.nrockv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 05, 2004 07:28PM

You could always just wrap a normal running guide on there. Works for a lot of folks.

Posted by: David Banaka (209.152.39.---)
Date: December 05, 2004 07:31PM

Closets tube size I could find is a 4.0 from Forecast.

Posted by: David Banaka (209.152.39.---)
Date: December 05, 2004 07:40PM

I kept looking and the smallest I could find is 4.0 A 4.0 on a 3.5 tip will work just fine.

Dave

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 05, 2004 07:41PM

Fuji LST and GLST SiC tip tops come in a 3.5 tube. The only problem is that I don't think they come in a ring size smaller a 7.

Posted by: Kenneth Prager (---.174.234.74.Dial1.Philadelphia1.Level3.net)
Date: December 05, 2004 09:07PM

Send me a SASE and I'll send you one - GLST7 - 3.5 The ring is a size 7 OD but equivalent to a 5.5 ring ID. You can burnish the gold off with a dremel wheel and then its gunmetal color.
Kenneth Prager

Posted by: Ralph Jones (---.att.net)
Date: December 05, 2004 11:10PM

I've used a running guide (Fuji BLAG #6) for a tip four times so far with good results each time on 2 & 3 wts.and will again. Lighter than a tube type tiptop, say that three times fast, and with a Forhan safety wrap is strong enough. Ralph

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.vnet-inc.com)
Date: December 05, 2004 11:25PM

Thanks guys. I think I'll end up wrapping the tip and using a size 4. I'm not quite ready to use a running guide yet. I'll give it a try on some scraps first. I really don't understand why Pac Bay doesn't make one, they only make a 3.5 in a regular wire loop tip top.

Thanks again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster