I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Winston boron IIx blanks
Posted by: Dave Hoffman (---.186.5.222.res-tnk.ptd.net)
Date: December 04, 2004 09:50AM

Hi guys,

Has anyone built on the rather new Winston boron IIx blank and can give me an honest comparison to other blanks out there....namely the SC V fly blanks? I've built two fly rods on the SC V blank and they are my favorite right now. The SC V has a great fast action combined with a lovely feel. How would you rate the Winston's IIx feel and performance? Are they worth the price of around $300? Any info on these blanks greatly appreciated. Thanks......Dave.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Winston boron IIx blanks
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.244.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 04, 2004 10:53AM

My personal tastes lean towards the SCV. I find it lighter and crisper than the lone Winston boron/graphite composite that I've cast.

I have no doubt the Winston performs fine. Whether or not it's worth the money is really only something you can decide. Is it going to be head and shoulders above the SCV? I don't think so, and I'm not sure it's even as good as the SCV, but once you get to a certain level a lot of this is very subjective.

If you can find a fly shop that stocks those Winstons, you might want to go in and cast one just to get a feel for it. And while you're there, buy a couple leaders or something to repay them for the opportunity to cast a rod you know you're not going to buy (I assume you're only wanting a blank).

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.westk01.tn.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2004 10:58AM

Actually you might just as well order the blank through the shop you do the test casting at. Unless you know some way to get one wholesale. The shop can order the blank and sell it to you at retail just like everybody else does.

Have not tried the boron blanks.

Posted by: bob johnson (---.wilmsc01.tn.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2004 02:40PM

My taste runs to med-fast rods although I have many fast tip action
rods. The B IIx is not a tip action rod. It feels like a med-fast rod, but
when you lean into it, you can generate very high line speed without tip bounce. Magic. I can cast farther with it than with my SageXP,
SageRPL, LoomisIMX. If you really like tip action rods, this may not satisfy you. My favorite had been a Winston LT. The BIIx is faster, but very smooth. Good advice is to try one out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster