I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Rack
Posted by: George Thurston (---.faa.gov)
Date: December 03, 2004 12:45PM

Ok

Now I've gone and done it. Got involved in a hobby, and now have rods stacked in every corner of my house.

Wife's getting bumed.

Anyone help out with some plans on building rod racks?

Thanx!

/gt

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Rack
Posted by: Steve Ekstrand (---.sea14.15.119.58.sea1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: December 03, 2004 01:47PM

George,

I've built simple ones for hanging my finished rods in the garage but in my study, where I wrap, I've bought a cheap one out of a catalog. I couldn't buy the materials for the cost of the stand. On casters, will hold a dozen blanks or rods in progress and I think it was less then $40.

Posted by: Shawn Taylor (66.155.194.---)
Date: December 03, 2004 02:09PM

I use a simple design to mount holders to walls or ceilings. By yourself some 8' sections of clean 1"x1" and some minwax stain in a spray can. Any lumber or hardware store wil have it. Then swing by a boaters world or other similar shop and get yourself the the replacement hooks and loops for the the metal track hangers they sell. They consist of white plastic hook and hoop. They have holes in them already to attach to your 1"x with small wood screws. I cut 2 sections of 1"x1" to the length I have on that particular wall, and then lay out all the hooks on one piece and hoops on the other. I predrill both the mounting holes for the wall or ceiling as well as the holes for the hoops and hooks. Make sure you mark which one is which. I'll then take a can of the stain in a spray can and give the lumber a couple of very quick coats. Mount the hooks and hoops, find your studs or put in your anchors, and mount the racks. It's a really cheep way to do it, but the end result is actually pretty nice. Many people have asked me where I bought mine as they thought they were very nice. I don't have a blank spot in my entire garage that doesn't have racks on it!

Date: December 03, 2004 02:14PM

Forgot to mention, which I am sure will be evident if you understand my descrition, but the butt end of the rod would go in the hoop part, while the tip would sit in the hook portion. I am sure you understand.

Date: December 03, 2004 02:51PM

Shawn - I understand.

In my basement, I've installed simple hooks between the rafters and string a bungie between them at two points about 4' apart and set the rods into the bungies, kinda like two mini-hamocks.

But now want to either build or buy something simple to hold rods w/ reels.

Thanx and keep them comming.

Have a great weekend.

Date: December 03, 2004 03:50PM

George, just to clarify, the set-up I am explaining is what I use for my rods with reels. I have found it to be the most efficient use of space to hold all the gear I have. I have anything from tuna to trout set ups on my racks.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.64.15.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 03, 2004 04:13PM

How about stand up racks on wheels so you can roll them into a corner ---- have a yard sale??

Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: December 03, 2004 10:07PM

This is the style of rod rack I prefer. It's the only plan I have found.

It's in metric but, I imagine that should not be a problem.

[www.bhg.com.au]

Posted by: John Dow (---.snet.net)
Date: December 03, 2004 10:08PM

George , I went to home Depot and bought a bunch of the spring loaded Broom/shovel holders that are mounted on a sliding rack . There are 6 clips on each rack and they are about a foot & 1/2 long . I screwed them to a 1 x 2 and then to the ceiling , about 5 ft in between them . Put 2 of each side by side, so I ended up with a 12 rod holding system . The clips are metal , so I got some heave duty shrink tubeing and covered the clips. I snap in the seats on one end , and the tip sections just rest on the other closed clip on the other racK . If I must say so myself , they look , and work like a charm. The nice thing is the clips slide on the racks , so you can adjust the distance between the reels so they don't interfere with each other.
I hope I've explained it so you get the concept . Good luck . JD

Posted by: Kevin Norstuen (---.kc.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2004 11:23PM

If you are looking for a rack to hold a dozen rods, try the Du-Bro rack system. Cabela's sells them for about what you would spend for some nice wood. It's made from plastic (rings and hooks) and anodized aluminum. The rack can be mounted vertical, horizontal or overhead. I love the overhead. My young son just loves to play with the reels by pulling out all the line. Overhead keeps them safe from everything. Also, if you alternate the rod ends, I can place 12 musky rods all with larger reels within one rack.
Just my opinion.....Kevin

Posted by: Raymond Mazza (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 04, 2004 11:38AM

Bass Pro had some racks on sale at very low prices on the webpage and at the stores.
Ray

Posted by: Chris Saxby (---.strand.com)
Date: December 04, 2004 12:23PM

I have built several racks that will hold up to 30 rods. They are about 30 inches wide and 42 inches tall. First, I called St. Croix and was able to purchase the plastic clips they use on their racks in the stores. Then I built the frame out or 3/4" by 2 1/2 " stock. Build two inverted "T" with the foot about 18 inches long and the riser about 44" inches. Put a stringer between the two "T"'s that will hold the clips about 42" off the floor. Then put a 6" wide stringer between the "T"s down by the feet. Email me if you would like a picture.

Posted by: Joe McKishen (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: December 05, 2004 05:19AM

I saw a real simple set up, a guy used an assortment of pvc pipe and 'T' fittings to make a couple of rod stands. One was straight, angled slightly to keep the reels outward, and had two or more supports or legs to prevent tipping and was placed against a wall, and the other was a large rectangle with the upright tubes all around. Although not very fancy, it is inexpensive, and very functional. I would say that the size of the pvc would depend on the size of the rods you need to store, say 2" for a heavy boat rod, and lesser diameter for lighter rods. The one's I saw were all 2" pvc.

Myself, I use a combination of wall mount slotted holders (for the shorter stand-up rods), a few Berkley plastic 4 rod ceiling racks (they fit between the joists), and a couple of wooden double sided racks out of an old tackle shop on wheels.

Date: December 06, 2004 12:19PM

Thank you all for your thoughts.

Shawn - exactly, I'm now looking for a holder to hold rods w/ reels, since I wrap reels on TN handles.

I got the deal of a life time. Was at Galyans - and as we all know, Dicks just bought them.

I asked and they said if the dumpster's not empties, we just threw away a few.

Now I have one on a lazy Susan, make out of metal, that needs the felt replaced.

Cheap - cost me my dignity going through a trash can. No big.

Thanx again!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster