I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

residual finish removal
Posted by: john kepka (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: December 03, 2004 09:38AM

Well I got the guides and wrap off with a little heat and cutting on top of the guide and peeling off the rest of the wrap.

I had some lettering i put on two to three inches above the reel seat and hook keeper which I decided to remove as well. I thought if I used a different finish there might be problems. This has proven to be difficult and probably best left alone. How perfect hindsight is. But now that I have started it do you guys have any suggestions on how to remove this single layer (crystal coat is the finish) of finish??

I have searched the boards but not found anything directly related.

By the way when scotchbrite is mentioned does the scotchbrite refer to scrubby pads for kitchen use or are there other varieties of scotchbrite?

thanks

John Kepka

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: residual finish removal
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 03, 2004 10:04AM

Paint shops (Praxair here) and parts stores (NAPA) have the Scotchbrite pads. I use the green kitchen ones (WalMart) for roughing a finished blank to glue handles, but follow up with the gray that I buy at the above mentioned.
The gray is for making a water break-free surface; the red or green can be used for more of a sanding situation where more material (finish) needs to be removed completely. Old finish (3 days or more) should always be scuffed with the gray pads before applying more finish.

Putter

Posted by: steven church (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 03, 2004 10:11AM

John, The library has a topic By Ralph O'Quinn called Refinishing
Rod Blanks that might prove helpful. steve

Posted by: john kepka (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: December 03, 2004 10:45AM

Ralph O'Quinn Mentions Crystal Coat in his article and suggest it as a possible rod finish because it flows and bonds better than the resins used for guide wrap finish. The problem that I have is that the Crystal Coat has adhered quite well in the rod blank and will not come off as easy a peeling off guides which have thread.

John Kepka

Posted by: John Chase (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 03, 2004 01:09PM

If you have a lathe, you can wetsand the finish off in that area.
You have to go slow to be sure you don't cut the finish of the blank itself. You can kiss it, but you don't want to cut through it or it won't look nice. Good luck

Posted by: David Spence (---.aoc.state.nc.us)
Date: December 03, 2004 02:17PM

I use the Stripeeze gel paint remover. Just brush a bit on the subject area, let "soak-in" for about 30 minutes, then take a green scotchbrite pad and rub the residual finish off. I took off the worn down teal green completely off an SCIV, down to the bare graphite, wiped on a couple of coats of Permagloss and now have a great looking grey gloss blank that is bulletproof.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster