I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Building A rod Wrapper Down Under
Posted by: Geoff Roberts (---.per.eftel.com)
Date: December 03, 2004 08:59AM

G'day Everyone,
I am trying to put togethor a rod wrapper and other various pieces of equipment such as dryers and finnishing lathes and would like to use parts that i have seen for sale on sites such as Mudhole.com.
I am concerned that the American electric motors may not be suitable for use in Australia ( where i am from, Perth Western Australia) as we use 240volts Mains DC straight out of every power point in our walls.
As i understand American power supply is 110volts Mains DC, so as you can imagine it's not just a case of changing a power plug and sticking it in the socket on the wall.
I would love to purchase the various electric motors or even complete pieces of equipment such as the Flexcoat 4x18rpm drying machine, can anyone out there answer my question?
Regards
Geoff Roberts

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Building A rod Wrapper Down Under
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2004 10:07AM

You will have a very fast turn for a very short time - the motor will fry within seconds. The only way around that is to purchase a 240volt step down transformer to 110volts. You may also experience some speed variations beyond that as Australia is 50hz/cycles while US is 60hz/cycles. That will lengthen the life of the motors - but not significantly.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2004 10:10AM

Check with Myles Boon (out in Brissie). He visits the board often so you can get his Aussie email address by doing a search on the board... I'm sure he'll be happy to help you find local sources that will be more suitable to your voltage, amps and cycles.

Posted by: Bob Hughes (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2004 01:23PM

BTW we use AC power in the US, not DC. A step down transformer is what my European friends use to power the 110 volt items they have.

Bob

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: December 03, 2004 06:10PM

Geoff, The following links connect to businesses who sell 240 Volt motors. The second link was the search results for 240 volt motors.
Good luck.

[www.electricmotorwarehouse.com]

[www.aaaim.com]

Posted by: Owen Nuttridge (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: December 03, 2004 06:56PM

Geoff,

I am in Perth Western Australia, I have been using a US made 110 volt drying motor run through a step down transformer for the last 15 years with no problems. I understand Tandy have the step downs available.
Good luck

Posted by: Myles Boon (---.a.001.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: December 03, 2004 09:30PM

Hey Geoff,
Check your email.

Myles

Posted by: Joe McKishen (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: December 05, 2004 06:42AM

You might want to try a local hardware store. The first rod lathe I built myself using an old sewing machine motor, and my dryer motor came from a humidifier unit from a forced air oil heater. Both were nearly identical to what is used on lathes like those sold by Pac-Bay or similar. I would guess that such items would be available there in the correct voltage?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster