I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Broken Rod Handle
Posted by: Edwin Kime (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: December 03, 2004 08:57AM

Yesterday while trout fishing with my wife she broke the handle on her rod. It was about 40 degrees out. She had used this rod a lot crappie fishing in warm weather and never had any problem. I had two 6 ft. blanks and I made this rod from one for her from left over parts to see if she would like it. When she liked it I made her a better rod but she still like this peiced together rod. It has guides that does not match and are left overs. The handle that broke was made by Fuji and broke were the reel bolt is that holds the reel in place on the handle is this common?. It is the older type of handle were the blank stops at the front of the handle. She likes to use spincast reels and likes these type of handles. Well guess I can make her a spiral rod with a 5 1/2 foot 661-2 Forecast blank for Christmas. She likes gold & red thread for wraps will use teak trim on handle with Oak and white spacers and a Thai 10 baht coin for the butcap (coin is not made any more has silver outside with a brass center), since she is from Thailand. This rod will have the blank thru the handle so it will not break. Good reason to build another rod anyway.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Broken Rod Handle
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.2.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 03, 2004 09:04AM

It's only common on the fiberglass version of those handles and when the skip/screw has been over-tightened. Fishermen who really put the pressure on the screw often had such handle failures with these handles. All it took was one over-tightening to put a hairline crack in the handle at that point and at some point afterwards the handle would separate at that point.

Re: Broken Rod Handle
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 03, 2004 10:45PM

Yeah, I remember that happening, too. I kind of figured it was from overtightening, but probably didn't put a whole lot of thought into it, either. Glued on another and back to fishing.

Putter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster