I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

working with small guides
Posted by: Ken Blevins (---.pittpa.adelphia.net)
Date: December 03, 2004 06:29AM

I'm working with some small #6 Alconite single foot guides [ low profile ] that have given me fits. I couldn't figure out how to temp attach guides to the blank .I ended up doing half the wrap and then holding the guide in place ,partially on the completed portion to get the wrap onto the guide started. Then after the wrap was started ,I would line it up and finish the wrap Hard and not real neat. I tried using a glue gun but I couldn,t get to stick onto the blank..Suggestions please.Also I've tried using a lighter to remove small tag ends left by not cutting thread close enough to the wrap.This dosen't work all that well either.I have about a dozen more questions but I'll wait till later.I can only digest so much info at one time.[ limited brain power]
You guys have really been a huge help to me. thanks again
Ken Blevins

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: working with small guides
Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 03, 2004 07:01AM

Cut a strip of masking tape about 2" long and very thin. Fold back both ends of the tape a bit to form non-sticky handles. Now, attach the tape to the guide, at the middle of the tape and right up close to the guide eye, leaving about half of the foot exposed. Now, looking down from above, position the guide on the blank, pulling down on both ends of the tape, pressing both sides against the blank but leaving the tape ends free. Start the wrap, and when you are up on the foot and almost to the tape, gently remove the tape and finsh the wrap.

Once you get the knack of it, it is really easy. As Tom K said a while ago, the secret is to get the tape on the guide first, then position it on the blank. And don't wrap the tape all around the blank, leave both ends hanging for easy removal.

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: December 03, 2004 07:39AM

This is one of the situations where Flex Coat Guide Adhesive comes in handy.You just heat the guide foot,rub it over the glue stick to apply a thin layer of glue to the bottom of the foot,then stick it on the guide where you want it.

If the glue dries before you get it just where you want it you just pop it off(it comes off easily and if any residue is left on the blank it scrapes off with little effort),flick a lighter over the foot again to melt the glue and do it again.The glue takes little effort to melt and dries slow enough to allow you time to reposition the guide and straighten it if needed.

Once I have them just where I want them I usually wrap the foot with a thin 1/8" piece of masking tape just to make sure they don't get knocked off while wrapping.Some people just go with straight masking tape but I find the glue really helps on single foot guides,and the little ones in particular.

The Flex Coat Guide Foot Adhesive also adds a thin layer of protection between the guide foot and blank,which is always a nice thing to have,especially on light fly rods.Best of all,it's VERY inexpensive and lasts forever!

Posted by: Michael Hackney (---.ma.charter.com)
Date: December 03, 2004 08:08AM

I am finally to the point of wrapping my first rod and I agree with Tony re: FlexCoat Guide Adhesive. I am using the single foot Alconite guides and I tried setting them up with masking tape. That worked but it was time consuming and doing the static guide placement was tricky. Since I was going away for Thanksgiving, I ordered some of the adhesive. Yesterday, I redid the guide placement (since I had not completed the static placement yet) with the adhesive and it was quick and easy to set up the rod. FlexCoat also claims that the thin film of adhesive under the guide foot cusions it and distributes stress from the guide to the rod more evenly.

cheers,
Michael

Posted by: Noel Spann (12.39.180.---)
Date: December 03, 2004 08:25AM

Kevin,
You can also try using very small zip ties or cable ties. I use these and just zip one around the blank, slide it over my guide and tighten it down. When the guide is secured with enough thread I take a pair of side cutters and snip the zip tie off.
On the subject of the small tag ends you cannot trim off close enough, trim as close as you can and leave them for now. After your first coat of finish you can go back with a sharp razorblade and trim these off and your next coat of finish will cover everything up.
Hope this helps and don't hesitate to email me with more questions,
Noel

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 03, 2004 09:16AM

Thin strip of masking tape as explained by Tom. No need to buy what you don't already have.

Putter

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.171.159.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 03, 2004 09:47AM

I tie rubber bands on the blank then slide the guides under them, to me very easy and movable.
One thing to make life easyer is to make sure the guide feet are tapered " well " This way the thread slides up onto the foot with no problem and does not " push " the guide

Posted by: john kepka (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: December 03, 2004 10:03AM

I put masking tape on old plastic lids and us xacto or small sharp utility knife to cut thin strips -about a 16th . I can leave them on the lid until I need them. I have also tried colored electrical tape. This cuts easily and has a little more adhesive than masking tape. Not a problem leaving residual adhesive on the blank if removed fairly soon say couple of days. !/8 inch pinstriping tape is availble and I am looking into this. Of course the lid is often cut through. I like the idea of the handles on the tape mentioned above.

john kepka

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: December 03, 2004 10:38AM

I wrap #6 alconites following Tony's advice using FlexCoat Guide Adhesive. Once you've become accustom to using it to apply small guides your problems will only be a memory.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: December 03, 2004 11:20AM

Ken. I also use the guide cement. I only place one guide on the rod at a time, having marked their final positions on the blank with a china marker in front of the guide foot (single foot guides). After I apply glue to the foot, I wipe most of it off on a paper plate, then re-heat for a final placement. I don't use any tape at all. I don't rub off the china marker until the guide is in place, in case the guide pops off. As to your second issue. The tag needs to be cut very short when you snug it up against the wrap prior to the pull through. You need enough wraps over the thread loop puller to pull the tag completely under. Say 8 wraps? You should not have any tag showing to flame.

Posted by: david lourim (141.106.187.---)
Date: December 03, 2004 01:40PM

Ken,

What I use is small rubber tubing cut into thin rubber bands (with a good pair of scissors) that just barely slide on the blank. This allows me to do the static distribution test, adjust the position of the guides, and then wrap the guides without having to ever remove the guide from the blank.

You can usually find this type of tubing at Science supply stores, or maybe an aquarium shop. I have several sizes of tubing that allow me to use this technique on the entire blank.

good luck,

dave

Posted by: John Dow (---.snet.net)
Date: December 03, 2004 09:21PM

I have also become a fan of the guide adheasive , works great. JD

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 03, 2004 10:18PM

I just completed a 6'6" spinning rod with four #6 single foot running guides. After fightinig with the masking tape method I found a much easier way to hold the guides in place. I wrap a length of thread in a stretched out spiral over the general area where the guide will go. With the end of this thread still in hand I slip the guide foot under it and turn it around the blank until several strands of thread are holding it in place. Then I tie off the end of the thread and rotate it a few more times around the blank. Now the guide can be moved up or down the blank for final positioning and it will stay flat against the blank while I wrap the guide foot. Once the wrap is approaching the temporary thread I snip that thread and complete the wrap adding a Forhan lock. I hope I explained this sufficiently. It works like a charm and takes mere seconds to do.

Posted by: Ralph Jones (---.att.net)
Date: December 04, 2004 11:04AM

On these guides I use the 1/8th in. pinstriping/masking tape. Before I started using this I used 10 lb. monofiliment line tied in a slip knot to hold the guide in place. Ralph

wanatu shuhiwacudy
Posted by: bag (209.144.74.---)
Date: April 02, 2006 05:03PM

-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster