I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Is it worth building your own rod?
Posted by: John Salgep (---.pocoht01.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2004 07:43PM

First, I enjoy reading the postings at the rod building
web site and have learned a few things. From what
I've read the experienced rod builders add
value to the rods they build over what can be purchased
retail.

But, from a economic point of view I don't see where
the do-it-your-selfer.

i.e.
I'm interested in St. Croix model AC66MM
retail $150 . The same model in a kit costs $129.50.
Savings about $20.

I think I'd enjoy building my own rod, but I can't get over
the lack of cost savings especially for the beginning
beginner.

Where am I wrong?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth building your own rod?
Posted by: Dennis Garmon (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: December 02, 2004 07:55PM

Money could never buy the thrill that you get by landing a fish on a rod that you built yourself.

Gar

Posted by: Mike McGivney (---.jdover01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2004 07:56PM

The advantage of building your own rod is that you can set it up the way that YOU want it instead of the way the manufacturer sets it up ie. maybe the foregrip is too long, or you want the reel seat lower on the blank, or the guides are too big and not set up properly. There are many advantages, but the biggest one in my opinion is fooling a fish on a rod that I built, not someone else!

Mike

Posted by: Geoff Hanson (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2004 08:08PM

Just something to add to this topic... It takes me as long to plan a rod as it does to build it and often longer. Been building rods fo 11 years and I still am amazed at the amount of options for components and design(asthetic and functional) that I discover every year. John, I highly encourage you to think about spending your extra 20 on better components than what would come on a store bought rod. Take a few hours at least(here and there) to really think about what you like, don't like and would like to improve from rods you've fished over the years and then plan how to use this information to create a rod not just one of a kind but PERFECTLY suited to you and where and how you fish. If you just want to save money Walmart sells flyrods too.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 02, 2004 08:10PM

You aren't wrong. However, many rod builders buy parts wholesale if they have a business license. The enjoyment you will receive in catching a fish on a rod you built will outweigh the cost of the parts. I build as a hobby now and will continue to do so as long as I can.

I also tie flies. I can't justify the cost of all the material that I buy other than to say that I really get a lot of pleasure from fly tying. Fly tying and rod building are my two vices if you want to call it that. These two things are my form of artistic expression. I wish I could sing but I can't. I wish I could memorize poetry but I can't. So I try to make my rods as pretty as possible to satisfy myself and hope that in the process I will be able to land a big one now and then.

In closing, beware-rod building is contagious.

Cheers, Ellis

Posted by: Barret Chrisman (---.raytheon.com)
Date: December 02, 2004 08:10PM

John,

IMHO if your goal is to reproduce a factory rod, there isn't much cost savings. Especially considering the resulting addiction that usually occurs after making your own rod.

The reasons I like to build my own rods are as follows:

1) Custom fitting components to my needs and desires, and fishing situations.
2) Getting better components than available on factory rods. Once you really get into this, you will see what I am talking about.
3) Individuality. I get to make my rod look like I want it too. And way better than a factory rod, I might add. (and I am pretty new at this).
4) Creativity: I get to play with more cool toys, that turn into toys! How cool is that!?!

It all boils down to what you like. The best analogy I can make is fly tying. I make my own flies so that I can match the hatch/bait or whatever. It provides me with options that buying off the shelf doesn't have. I know plenty of folk who don't tie. Guess what, they don't build their own rods either.

Barret

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 02, 2004 08:11PM

Don't frame it as a wrong/right question. Better to ask: why should you do it. Myself, I did it (and my first rod was built on an Avid blank) because the store rods were not right for me. Specifically, the butt length was too long for me by two inches. So, I went ahead and built my own, I used Avid-grade guides (Alconites) but a Premier grade handle assembly (St. Croix handle kit, though I now turn my own handles). Cost me less, fits me perfectly, casts and fishes great (true concept layout), caught a 25" bass on it this May. I'm now on rod #12 (some for myself, some for others, including some I've sold), each one designed exactly as needed. I will never buy a store rod again.

Posted by: David Coleman (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 02, 2004 08:12PM

John,

It is hard to look at as a beginner with the set-up cost of even a meager set of tools needed and effort required. Before I built my first rod, I built my wrapper and gathered the needed tools which are actually easy to find... While the cost may appear to be, and in fact may actually be higher, you'll never look back. As good a rod as St. Croix builds (and they ARE good), they cant match your finished product. Yours is handbuilt by YOU with components that YOU have chosen and installed. You'll NEVER forget that first fish or any of the others you catch after that. You'll find other anglers asking about the rod you are using and maybe even asking to cast it. There are so many intangibles that putting a $ figure on it isnt fair. And while that rod will be your first, it won't be the last that you build...

If it's a money or time issue, buy the factory rod and you'll surely catch fish. No one would ever hold it against you as that is what most fishermen do. If the event is more important than the result, build that rod exactly how you want it, put your love into it and pass it on to your grandchildren when you're done. They'll understand.

David

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.119.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 02, 2004 08:36PM

If the bottom line is whether or not you can save money, the answer is usually that if your time is worth very much at all, then no, you can't can't save much if any.

But there is a bit more to it than that. St. Croix builds a good rod, but you can build a better rod (perhaps not on your first attempt, but within 2 or 3 if you're patient and observant).

For me, the cost of the rod isn't really an issue. The rods I fish with are not available in commercially produced form (some of the blanks are used on commercially produced rods, but not with my choice of handle, seat or guide configuration). I enjoy using my rods more than I enjoy using any commercially made rods so that's enough to keep me at this. Cost just isn't an issue for me.

If you're happy using commercially made rods and really don't want to spend any more than you'd spend buying one of those, then custom rod building probably isn't for you. But the fact that you have come this far tells me that you're after something a little different, or perhaps just want another off season hobby. My suggestion is to try building one and see how you like it.

Posted by: Kurt McKenna (---.neo.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2004 08:46PM

You are probably correct that you will spend as much or more on a rod you build your self. Will it fish better? Maybe... Will it be worse? No. Will you enjoy fishing a rod you built? With out a doubt.

I hate to do this, but why don't you take advantage of an unfortunate situation and click on the HorT Edwards supply link to the right. You will have a chance to try out rod building at a great discount. Don't get a kit. That takes 60% of the fun out of it. You will get to make a rod that no one has.

P.S. get a good book with money you saved.

Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.mn.client2.attbi.com)
Date: December 02, 2004 08:48PM

One suggestion from a fairly "newbie" is to give it a try with an inexpensive blank so that you can learn a little bit. My first rod was okay, but nothing close to what my second rod was because of what I learned on that first rod (whoa, did that make any sense?).

Mudhole sells very inexpensive blanks (like $10ish) and you can still get good components on it. And who knows, that first rod for you might turn out great. Then you'll be hooked - especially when you make that Avid you're considering.

Posted by: John Salgep (---.pocoht01.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2004 09:06PM

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll start with a book
and an inexpensive blank.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 02, 2004 09:38PM

You need to copy all the posts on this thread concerning your decision to build a "fishing rod". Print them out and put them in a folder for your grandchildren. Someday when you are looking through your really old stuff you can tell them this is what got you started in this wonderful past time/hobby/business/art form/addiction/compulsive dissorder/challenge and anythining else you will think of at the time.

Someday soon Wallys World will reduce the commercial rods that are available to less than three bucks each and will have to be trashed after each fish is landed. At present there is absolutely no economic sence in building fishing rods rods for the general public. Price is headed in the same direction as quality and who can define the final position - - - - -I love each custom rod I build and so do the people who end up fishing with it.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: December 02, 2004 09:46PM

Besides the great reasons listed, I wanted to add something about how the $20 isn't worth it.

A fellow once told me that brewing my own beer actually was far more expensive than buying it because I had to factor in my time. Horse cookies.

How much is your time worth? That is a loaded question and I'll tell you why.

If you are building a rod for somebody else, then you are obligated to do so. You are giving your time to somebody else, in which case it may well be very valuable time. However, if you are doing it for yourself/family/friend, etc.. of your own choosing, then your time is worth zero.

Do you pro-rate yourself at $20 per hour if you are watching a football game on Sunday in pajamas, drinking beer and shoving chicken wings down your gullet? Of course not. So how can you put a price on doing something for yourself as a hobby during the times when you have nothing better to do? Do your building while watching a football game, or when you normally wouldn't be doing anything, and you lose nothing.

You will gain however a rod you will love, and have fun doing it. You may eventually build the skills enough to make a couple bucks doing something fun. If you are simply looking to save money, the worst that will happen is that you will save $20. Around these parts, that's a pizza and a 12 pack.. nothing to sneeze at!

In the past 10-15 years, the good factory rods have closed the gap a bit on custom rods, but they will never be quite as good, performance wise, and will never even come close to the true value of a custom rod... personality and individuality.

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: December 02, 2004 09:48PM

Hi John, Congradulations your already<<< hooked>>> but you just don't know it yet .Also right decision and that book will be ROD BUILDING GUIDE by TOM KIRKMAN all the infofmation you'll need to get started on your new adiction .You had better cash in on some of the savings with the sponsors to the left .In closing there is nothing better than a rod you built yourself. My wife thought I lost my marbles with my first rod I built.I carried it arouned for weeks just looking at it. It seemed that where I was I had the rod with me telling everybody I built a fishing rod.However after 10 years as just a hobby I'm not still carrying them around but you won't go far and you'll find one or two sitting. well anyway good luck and Happy Holiday to you.
***Don ****

Posted by: levi farster (---.essex1.com)
Date: December 02, 2004 11:13PM

I cant possibly express how cool it is to biuld fishing rods. There is so much that a rod is required to do well. I doubt If I will ever buy a rod again. Unless Its an emergency or something. I started out on my first rod with fairly expensive parts, and I am not rich by any means. I buy 50 dollar hammers for work, a 100 dollar blank doesnt make me nervous at all. (my wife will never see the receipt!!). Totally satisfying to catch fish on rods and lures that I made in my basement. Do it and I promise you wont regret it. I also hand forge and grind knives, and do very occasional gunsmithing, and when relatives really ask nice, I do portraits of children and pets in pencil and charcoal. I would rather build poles, because I love to fish. Best wishes.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.mynetrocks.com)
Date: December 02, 2004 11:32PM

John,

There's a great personal satisfaction to building your own rod, and pursuing the "ultimate", unobtainable rod (you never quite get there but the improvement over time keeps you at it it). It's great fun to catch a fish on your own personally designed rod.

I'm strictly a hobby builder and do it for the enjoyment.

My wife asks: "what are you going to do with all those rods?".

Answer: "Fish, and build more rod racks."

Since we have no kids at home anymore, the old bedrooms need more rod racks filled to capacity for decoration.

As Bill and others have noted, it's easy to get obssessed/addicted with building fishing poles.

Stan

Posted by: Ralph Cordell (---.cdc.gov)
Date: December 02, 2004 11:38PM

If you are always happy with the car you buy and have never thought of adding a different sound system or tweaking the motor or suspension a bit.... If you are satisfied with every dish served at a restaurant and never add salt, pepper, steak sauce, ketchup....If you just take whatever they give you... then I really can't see why you would want to build your own rod.

However, if you like to fish and sometimes say "what if" or "how about" or "I wish", then give it try. I am a rookie (7 rods under my belt) but am amazed that I can build better ones with respect to both performance and appearance than I can buy - no matter how much I pay. Maybe it is some sort of a self-induced placebo affect but at least my handmade rods have matching reel seat hardware, guides and tips - many of my store bought ones don't.

-ralph cordell

Posted by: Jim Creed (---.136.90.51.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 03, 2004 07:31AM

I took up serious fishing about 8 years ago, when I started, a friend that taught me a lot about live bait fishing said, there is nothing like catching your own bait, and going out and catching a fish with it. there is a special feeling knowing you did it all.
Well he was right, except I can't wait to catch my own bait, and then catch fish with it on a rod I personally built. still working on my first rod and can't wait to use it.
Its more about personal satisfaction, and pride in something you accomplished by your self.

Posted by: RIch Garbowski (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: December 03, 2004 08:54AM

John Salgep wrote:

>
> i.e.
> I'm interested in St. Croix model AC66MM
> retail $150 . The same model in a kit costs $129.50.
> Savings about $20.

If you are only going to save $20, than it's pretty easy to evaluate that the time and effort you put into building the 'same' rod that compares to the factory model isn't for economy. Also, take into account the adhesive, finish, and thread which are extra.

Consider also that St. Croix is about the only company offering a kit with same components that are on their factory rods. The handles, for example are excellent whether you use them on the Avid model or not. That's a positive thing for those who like St. Croix factory rods, and as mentioned above the custom things and personalization you do can make the rod better. That's the beauty of the craft nature and also performance enhancement.
Consider also some modifications that you might want to choose a different guide set or reel seat, or that positioning your guides, using better finishing technique or other customization which the factory rods can't do due to their production protocol. That may be worth more to you in terms of your pride in workmanship as well as asthetics and a level of performance you also can control.

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster