I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Is it worth building your own rod?
Posted by: Kevin Norstuen (216.113.128.---)
Date: December 03, 2004 09:35AM

You should be able to get a better price break than that. Try Bingham Enterprises from the list on the left. Don't purchase the guides in a kit. You can purchase them cheaper individually. I also had a real problem paying $300 for a top of the line rod where the guide cost about $3.00. I find that I build a cheaper rod (not counting my time. It's a hobby) using much better components.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ted Morgan (213.55.68.---)
Date: December 03, 2004 02:01PM

Totally worth it. Even if you manage to manage the addiction and stay basic, every bit of work you put into it is worthwhile.

On my sneaky pete, I've just finished the wooden handle. 3 weeks work. The seat insert alone took a few days planning, and two days on the lathe, with two ruined inserts to show for it. The final one has its finish drying. Ditto the reargrip. Wanted something different, and went for a shortcut rather than lots of cutting and glueing. Shortcuts sometimes take more work than conventional means. Finally managed to turn that down. The buttcap posed another problem, as did the ring I have to put in to maintain the length I wanted. Told you it gave trouble. I accidentally cut 3/4" off the reargrip just from absent mindedness.

Also, because I'm re-using the original guides, I have to solder the tip ring into a new tube (cut down sections).

Once I get everything to work, I'll have sweated my ass off, but I think just one fish, or even the chance to fish effectively with it, will make me smile.

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (198.237.218.---)
Date: December 03, 2004 03:08PM

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned...but if you ask around on this site I'm sure someone will share with you a better blank at a lot lower cost that the St. Croix you mentioned.

finding that gem of a blank is part of the coolness of doing this.

My favorite rod is a Dan Craft Sig V. 8'4 4 wt (about $80) I think...with an Amboyna insert specialy done by Andy Dear at Lamar Inserts (with Angle's Workshop hardware...another $50 or so). Altogether I have about $150 in it. This would be two or three times that off the rack. And I did it...and picked out the stuff. And it is WAY terrific to fish.

When you do that you'll look at it and say "How cool is this!"

Have fun...and Welcome...

Keith

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.155.12.108.Dial1.Baltimore1.Level3.net)
Date: December 03, 2004 03:23PM

If you like the factory rod and don't like crafts or this type of hobby, buy the factory rod on @#$%& for 40% off retail. If you like to build things and want something different and/or better and with much more sentimental value, then build your own. Don't focus on the finances of it. Focus on whether you will enjoy the process and enjoy the results. As a matter of pride now, I only fish with rods I've built myself. I'm not better off financially because I own way more rods than I need or use and I used to only have a couple that I used all the time. But, I'm happy I found this hobby and really enjoy the process and the results.

Posted by: Kit Harrison (---.txucom.net)
Date: December 03, 2004 07:22PM

John, I want to add my 3 cents worth. I build rods for the customer. Each and everyone of them are unique. According to what type fishing they are doing, down to the guy who wants a rod like no one else has. But stop and think! You are a small female, small hands, and fo into any of the major chain stores and try to buy a rod? She has to settle for what is in the store at that time. If she goes to a custom rod builder, he can build the rod to suit her needs, be happy, be comfortable fishing with that rod, and spent a few dollars more. If you have ever spent money on a rod that felt good in the store, and get on the lake to find out it is not what you wanted?

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 04, 2004 11:21AM

I build rods as a hobby, I build for myself, friends and family. I started this a long time ago cuz I got into fishing Steelhead on Lake Superior and the standard rig was a 9 ft 9 wt graphite fly rod and since you were fishing in some real cold weather single foot ceramic types guides were the prime choice. Well when I started pricing something like that I almost passed out, this was over 20 yrs ago and the price ranged from $120 to well over $300. One of the guys that got me started on Steelheading also built his own rods and he got me started on that addiction too.

My 1st rod was a Fenwick HMG 8/9 wt 9 foot fly rod. Total cost to me was about $65(I did shop around and found a special on the blank), way less than $120, and it turned out very nice.

When I build a rod I customize it to be exactly what I want for that type of fishing. I live in northern Minnesota and spring and fall Walleye fishing is cold to say the least, I really don't like to have a rod with any kind of metal where I hang to, so all my Walleye rods are built with a Tennessee style handle, way more comfortable. Plus I can move the reel around to where it balances that rod perfectly. We also fish with upto 10 leaders on the reefs in the summer. Well a leader that long on your typical 6 to 7 foot Walleye rod absolutely @#$%&. So I built a 9 foot spinning rod out of a 7 wt fly rod blank. It worked out great, it handles the long leaders much better, I can fish 4 # line with ease and it has the backbone to handle a larger fish without problem.

If I could find exactly what I wanted off the shelf I don't think I would spend 6 to 8 hours building a rod. But it seems I can never find exaclty what I want so I just build it myself and I save money and get it fine tuned to me.

Also kits are not always your best economic value, shop around and I think you can do much better.

Scott

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster