I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

how many sections?
Posted by: Desmond Ng (---.156ce.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: December 02, 2004 02:55AM

Hi all,

I was wondering how many sections you guys carry when travelling by plane. Domestically as well as internationally. Will a 3-pc 9footer cause any problems? Mine packs to a tube of 3.5feet, which technically (in every sense) is more than the 30inch max for carry on luggage.

Do you carry it as a hand luggage (if so does it mean you cannot carry a small backpack as well onto the plane)? Or do you check it as a piece of luggage? Is it counted as checked luggage then? Or is it considered recreational gear and not charged? Confused? Me too!

I am in the process of building a 4pc 9footer but my current rods are all 3-pc. Your advice will help me decide whether I will build 3pc rods or 4pc rods. I think 3pc rods require less work and are a tinge lighter.

Thanks ahead
Desmond

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how many sections?
Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: December 02, 2004 08:55AM

It is hit or miss based on which airline and which airport and the individual. Suggest that your rod case be durable enough to withstand checking if they make you check it at the gate. I have noticed that cordura cases raise fewer eyebrows than aluminum cases. Also, businessmen carrying long cardboard tubes with blueprints, etc, are rarely hassled based on my observations on numerous trips.

I am starting to copy the golfers of the travelling world. Buy a super tough case to hold your 2-piece rods and lots of padding and check the whole thing. Of course most of my trips are direct flights and the chances of lost luggage are nil. Connecting through multiple airports is what causes most of the lost or delayed luggage.

Posted by: Dan Sparks (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: December 02, 2004 10:02AM

Alaska Airlines is really good about permitting anglers to carry rods on board. If the rod won't fit the overhead compartment, the crew will stow it in the closet for you. Aero California, which flies to Loreto, is also very good, and will put you rods in empty seat sections, even two piece rods. Mexicana, however, will not allow rods on board. As Steve says, hit or miss. The compartments on most Airbus planes are not long enough for three piece rods, either. I prefer three piece rods, but I'm starting to make four piece saltwater rods.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (213.55.68.---)
Date: December 02, 2004 10:16AM

I never travel without a rod, and also find some airlines are more difficult than others in allowing you on board with a rod. Generally, if it's in a case less than or equal to 40" long, they'll let you slide. It has to fit in the overhead containers, which is why even a 2 pce 6'6" rod in a case is too long. You also have to be a good @#$%&'er to dissuade the guy at check-in from thinking your case is strong enough.

Whatever you choose, do not believe the crap that says a short enough case can go into a suitcase for more protection. Have you seen how suitcases are handled? Window seats are great to see people's luggage being abused.

Posted by: Jeff Coen (168.133.61.---)
Date: December 02, 2004 11:49AM

I like the 4pc size. I can pack the case into my large duffle bag and check it or if I'm travelling light, I can carry it on by itself. I have never gotten any grief about carrying it on. I agree that the cloth covered cases seem to be less offensive to the airlines. I have seen people take full size guitars(in cases) onto the plane so I never worry that I'll get booted with a rod case. If I get a question, I'm always ready with the response "I called the corporate American Airlines(or whatever airline I'm flying) office this morning and they assured me that this case was within the carry on guidelines". It always works.

Another reason that I like the smaller(4pc) cases...

Now that the airlines are changing their baggage weight limit from 70 to 50 pounds, I need the extra checked bag. I used to put all of my rods into a homemade rod tube(sch 40 PVC) which was checked bag #1 and my other gear/clothes/etc was checked bag #2. That second bag was usually between 50 and 70#. Now that the bag has to be lighter, I take two duffels and put the smaller, 4pc rod tubes into one of them.

Date: December 02, 2004 11:58AM

Hmmm,

Maybe it is better afterall to load up on the insurance, inflate the value of your luggage while checking in and just check the whole thing. No airlines wants to be responsible for loosing your $800 rods. One of my reels was actually stolen out of my suitcase. I guess they really stand out in an Xray. They took the zip and lock out of the bracket, took my stuff and replaced the zip. Didn't realize till I got home. And since I already left the gates, the airlines denied responsibllity. The fact that my bags went through four countires before I saw them again didn't help. They sent me round and round till I gave up. I know it was pried open as there were plier teeth marks on the metal zip brackets.

Can anyone recommend a good hard case for fitting three to four 3-piece rods?

I prefer a 2-piece any day but for practical reasons can't always carry them, so mostly use 3-piece rods. Even a 4-piece won't fit in an overhead bag. Had a 5-piece Loop but it was "stolen" in Brazil. Of course I never got it back.

And Ted, yes I did see a couple of bags fall out of a plane! One of the clamshells actually burst open like a balloon!!! Imagine your rods in a hard-case!!! I guess the case could survive intact but the contents would likely be shattered. I think I will travel insured and check all my stuff before I walk out of the airport (depending on location - some places, checking your contents just invites robbery). Would hate to get to the beach and discover that the 3-piece is now a 5 piece.

Regards

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: December 02, 2004 12:04PM

There are two issues. Protection from breakage and protection from loss or delayed arrival. If your rods are packed well enough to survive shipping, they will survive the similar rough handling in airports. Getting the rods on the plane with you is the only way to really prevent the second issue. I have a Forecast F764-5pc. and F865-5pc. that fit in something that resembles a violin or mandolin case in size and is made of cordura-covered PVC. Any airline that will allow a tennis racket or small instrument case will not have a problem with my pair of Forecast pack rods. I've even had a TSA inspector ask me to sell him the rods. Nice little distraction as you're "sneaking" your nailclippers on the plane, LOL.

Date: December 03, 2004 10:43AM

Steve,

I definately agree with you that the best thing would be to carry on the rods but that is not always possible unless, like you say, it is a 5-piece, otherwise its 50/50 whether they will let it on board. Still I "Lost" my 5piece rod to a customs incident. They were threatening to seperate some poor chap from his group and arrest him so I thought it best to just let him have it and get out of the way than risk becoming a permanent resident. It was a fantastically expensive rod but I think anyone would have left it too. There is no fishing in jail and you won't get something back from someone who's drawn his spring baton.

So most of you carry 4-5 piece rods? And check the 3piece rods? Any recommendation on a 4-5pc #5 for saltwater? Something that can handle #5/6 line for small crease flies. Albeit on the cheaper side? I'm building a 4-pc #8 now for the bigger stuff.

While we're on this topic, certain airlines will not let ANY type of fishing line as carry on. Come to think of it, a big shooting head does remotely resemble detcord, and mono is pretty combustible - actually I think it just sublimes like gore-tex jackets.

Once upon a time I brought a 2-piece with my reel attached, and I boarded a plane ... ...

Regards

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.155.45.21.Dial1.Baltimore1.Level3.net)
Date: December 03, 2004 11:15AM

Desmond,

I hear you loud and clear. Ain't no fishing while you're staying at the Ashcroft Hotel on Guantanamo either! I guess airports aren't the best place to argue with people these days. Suddenly a $700 rod doesn't seem so important in the big picture.

Steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster