I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New Site
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.33.127.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 04:09PM

Hy guys; Just put a one page site up. Was hoping if you could give it a look see and give me opinions on what you think. Give me your best shot, I can take it LOL willierods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Site
Posted by: Ryan Mann (---.ptr.terago.ca)
Date: December 01, 2004 04:28PM

Nice rods, I fly fish mostly, but I appreciate the wraps, seats, and handles!

I'm an english student and your text could be a bit better laid out.

Ryan Mann

Date: December 01, 2004 04:31PM

I can go in and make changes. What are your suggestions? If it is long, maybe send me an email

Posted by: Spencer Bass (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2004 04:32PM

Bill:

Please understand i am not a professional when it comes to web sites. What I do know is less is better. A web site should be clean and something should jump out and grab you as soon as the page opens (ie: a close up of a beautifully hadcrafted rod) Verbage can be added throughout the site mixed with nice pictures to add interest and show examples.

Here is a simple web site I did for a group my wife is involved in, check it out.

www.saveourstraysinc.com

I hope this helps.

Spencer

Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2004 04:50PM

Well since everyone else is doing it, here's the one I'm working on now.

www.clydescustomrods.com

Date: December 01, 2004 04:54PM

I thought the picture was nice. Would be nicer with some one fishing. Maybe I should replace with a nice rod. Ryan, I would rather fly fish then any other type of fishing. It's a nature thing

Date: December 01, 2004 05:10PM

Clyde, nice site. I was trying to put as much on one page as possible. It is the search engines that get your money.Got to go in and simplify it. Hay for the registraton and one page site $35 Should upgrade and add more pages What the heck--Mary Christmas to me!!!!

Posted by: Ryan Mann (---.ptr.terago.ca)
Date: December 01, 2004 05:11PM

The text should be broken up into smaller paragraphs so the reader has breaks. Plus the "..." get to be too much, once per page is generally too much.

Ryan Mann

Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2004 05:15PM

I used Yahoo, no set up fee, 11.95/month.

Date: December 01, 2004 05:20PM

I know what you mean. The software does not let me . I looked at Yahoo, should look again

Date: December 01, 2004 05:23PM

Like any thing be cheap and you get what you pay for?? Got so many hosting sites on searches, as long as both the arms

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 06:00PM

Hi Bill where is your site? tried emailing you , but it bounched back not deliverable
Good Weaps Bob

Posted by: Sean Walker (---.phxinternet.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 06:06PM

Here is some helpful tips for web design:

Keep it clean. Don't clutter the place up with too many different colors and typefaces.

Give the "reader" something on every page. Remember, the site is not for you, it's for your visitors.

Organization is everything. Your visitors shouldn't have to guess at where things are and how to get back to something. Be very clear on navigation.

Keep your content in the viewing window. Most visitors to a website don't scroll. Keep important info in the window. They will scroll if they are reading something, but they won't if they are looking for something.

Here's a homepage that I'm working on for a family site. Nothing works, it's just a homepage.

www.kseanwalker.com

Date: December 01, 2004 06:25PM

Here Bob [willierods.com] I also just upgraded. This way I can clean each page and have more pages. Got to get the camera loaded up. Thanks for all the imput guys. I'm using it!!

Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: December 01, 2004 06:27PM

Bill -

Your site does not render correctly in Mozilla/Netscape (at least my versions).

That's about 10% of web traffic (and growing rapidly).

Christian

Date: December 01, 2004 06:33PM

I just upgraded about 20 minutes ago. Got to find out about that Thanks

Posted by: Cindy Harlow (---.ev1.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 07:00PM

Bill,

You're making leaps and bounds here. Great job so far.

A few tips from a professional. Do away with all the .....'s please. It's a real fast turn off for a lot of people.

The pictures are nice, but move the water picture somewhere else, if not getting rid of it all together and put up a display picture of some of your rods and handles up there. Even better, someone with one of your rods holding that big lunker.

If at all possible, trim the writing some. Make it a short blurb about how you make custom rods then set up a page on how you go about it. A "Building Your Rod" page where you explain all about how you build the rod to their order. I'd even make that the first link in. Grab 'em hard with it. Surfers will head to a page like that more than most other pages, with a pretty good chance they'll hit it first before they even look at prices.

Also, double check that all your HTML codings are closed out in the proper order. The table codes and such are what I'm talking about. Explorer is very liberal on these things, but the Mozilla Family of browsers (Netscape, Firefox, etc.) are very strict on that.

Good luck!

Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 01, 2004 07:51PM

Half the people on the internet are still on dial up modems and will be for some time. I'm one of them. I thought the site was nice but it took over 3 minutes to load. I'd check your image file sizes and make sure they're no more than 72dpi and jpeg or giff files. Most people won't wait more than about 30 seconds before moving on.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 08:17PM

Cindy; That top picture is going. Got two nice handles I got to put together and put up. Gold and Red. The software did not let me do much like Indent. Just upgraded hope it will be better. Got a little more to play with. William; I got dial up also. Now with more pages I can move things around and make the first one simple. Thanks all Great advice See I can take it I don't cry -- Boo Hoo

Posted by: Cindy Harlow (---.ev1.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 09:11PM

Bill,

Now that handle photo sounds like a plan.

And don't fret the dial up part. I have the same here and it gets it done just fine.

I think you are well on your way towards one heck of a site.

Please give a hollar if you need any help on anything. I'm here.

Cindy

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster