I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bonding Dissimilar Materials
Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.airproducts.com)
Date: December 01, 2004 09:20AM

Recent posts about epoxies and their uses got me thinking about a need I have for a bonding agent. I just purchased a high end wading staff that has a metal tip epoxied into the end of the staff. The metal tip is very noisy when wading in rocky streams so I purchased some rubber caps from a hardware store and plan to replace the metal tip. A prior wading staff had a rubber cap that lasted ten years. I had epoxied that cap on with golf club epoxy. I’ll be bonding the rubber to metal and am interested in opinions on a bonding agent to use. The inside of the rubber cap has some slightly raised rings, so what ever I use will be filling some minor gaps between the rings.

Thanks,
Jeff Shafer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bonding Dissimilar Materials
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.130.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 09:25AM

That's fine, the important thing to remember is that rubber parts can be tough to adhere to anything. It's hard to find adhesives that will bond to them. Some epoxies will work. If you give the inside of the cap a wash with alcohol and then scuff it well, Rod Bond actually works pretty good on rubber items.

3M has a line of adhesives made just for bonding/sealing rubber and plastic parts, although for just doing one rubber cap you may find it cost prohibitable.

Posted by: Bill Drury (---.lalabs.umt.edu)
Date: December 01, 2004 12:01PM

Non-flexible bonding agents like epoxy do not work well when the components being bonded flex, like your rubber cap might. You might want to try a glue that remains flexible after drying, like Shoe Goo. Fortunately, the rubber caps are inexpensive (I think) so if whatever bonding agent you use fails, it is not a big deal to glue on another cap with a different agent for a second "experiment."

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.33.127.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 04:26PM

For what ever it is worth, I fixed a crack in a coffee container on my Mister Coffee machine about a year ago. It still doesn't leak. And that is glass!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.33.127.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 04:27PM

Used rod bond

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.clis.com.136.174.12.in-addr.arpa)
Date: December 02, 2004 12:18AM

I was beginning to think Bill just wanted a pat on the back...then I saw his second post! Gotta love that Rod Bond! Rod Bond & Duct Tape can fix anything! Jay

Posted by: Cindy Harlow (---.ev1.net)
Date: December 03, 2004 10:57PM

If the Ancient Egyptians had duct tape, the Sphinx would still have a nose.

Jeff, seriously if Bill's Rod Bond doesn't do it, try giving it a squirt of silicone seal for like aquariums and such. I've got an old Shakespeare fishing rod here that lost it's tip once a long time ago when I was 8 or 9 years old. My Grandfather fixed it up with a touch of silicone seal from where he was working on a live well. The tip is still on there after all this time.

And to give you a hint of the time, without giving away my age (too much anyway), he bought this for me for my 2nd birthday. When my daughter turned 2 I passed it down to her. She used the heck out of it (had to change the gears out in the reels by then) and now it's in the "Gun Cabinet" (that has never held a gun, go figure, only rods in there). She's gone off to college and back again to get married next month (January). Long time temporary repair there.

Restoring that rod will never happen. It's got too many memories attached to it's nicks and scrapes along it's 3 ft length. And too many teeth marks in the handle.

By the way, the rod made it through the passage of time, the live well didn't. It finally finished off it's days as a turtle pond.

Cindy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster