I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
American Titanium guides Rings?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.143.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 08:57AM

Any one know how hard the material is on the new guides from American Tackle.The Titan's, sounds like a greek god Is it - or how much harder is it then SIC rings? Thanks guys Prices ain't bad!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: American Titanium guides Rings?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.130.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 09:27AM

I don't believe they're harder than SIC rings, but I would expect they'd be along the lines of what Fuji calls Alconite rings. Joe Meehan could give you more details.

The price of these guides changes a lot of things in the saltwater rod game. Being able to eliminate corrosion without breaking the bank is going to enable a lot more rod builders to build saltwater rods that will last a lot longer than before.

Posted by: Erik Kunz (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 10:19AM

Are these new guides up on the web anywhere? I wasn't able to find them at Mudhole or American Tackle websites... what's the scoop.

Posted by: Noel Spann (12.39.180.---)
Date: December 01, 2004 10:46AM

Erik,
I havent seen them on eithers website yet. They are on the inside cover of the new Mudhole catalog.
Hope this helps,
Noel

Posted by: Joe Meehan (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: December 01, 2004 11:06AM

Hi Guys,

The guides are not available yet that is why they are not on any sites yet including ours. We had to get the copy in the various distributor catalogs that were printed early so we couldn't avoid the confusion.

They should be in stock sometime next month. This has been one of the most difficult projects we have ever encountered. I won't go into the details but this new guide has been a challenge to get done. But nothing this good comes easy. We think it will be the most sought after guide in the industry.

The Nanolite ring is just under SiC in hardness and much harder than the Alconites.

Although I haven't done actual comparisons yet I believe these guides will be the lightest on the market in this catagory.

Here is some ad copy:

Light, Strong and Corrosion proof are features of American Tackle Company’s new Titan™ guides with NanoLite™ ceramic rings. The Titan™ guide series set a new standard to which every manufacturer must now aspire to achieve. The frame is made from the highest quality, proprietary, solid titanium alloy, specially manufactured for American Tackle Company to ensure lightness and extreme strength. The titanium frame is 100% corrosion proof, even in saltwater.

The all new NanoLite â„¢ rings are up to 45% stronger and 2 times harder than the competitions ceramic rings. They feature a diamond polished surface to extend casting distance and improve line life, and have hardness factors so high they can handle any synthetic line made today. They are the ultimate in high tech ceramics and provide the highest possible performance and durability. The fusion of proprietary Titanâ„¢ titanium alloy frame and NanoLiteâ„¢ ceramic rings provides the ultimate in strength, performance and durability.

Warmest regards, Joe Meehan, American Tackle

Posted by: Noel Spann (12.39.180.---)
Date: December 01, 2004 11:13AM

Joe,
Can you shed any light as to when these will be available? I think these are gonna be a big hit down here on the Gulf coast as well as everywhere else saltwater causes havoc!!
I know i'm getting some when they are available to reguide all my saltwater rods!!
Thanks,
Noel

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: December 01, 2004 11:21AM

Am I missing something? The prices in the new catalog are very close to the Fuji TSG with a SIC ring.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 11:25AM

What is Nonolite? Is it a new ceramic or is it another advertising word like Alconite that does not really convey any real information.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.196.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 11:46AM

The Fuji TSG are the small, low frame guides. Compare the American Tackle models to the TLVSG and TSVSG and I think you'll see a huge price difference. Just compare apples to apples.

Joe said they would be in stock and ready for sale in about another month.

Posted by: Erik Kunz (---.vascular.medtronic.com)
Date: December 01, 2004 11:47AM

Hey Joe...

Are there any plans for Titans in high frame models such an equivalent to a Fuji SVSG40 HH or 30 H.

How about Titanium framed tip tops suitable for surf rods (i.e. size 8 and larger tubes and size 10 and 12 rings).

In my opinion, these are gaps in the current titanium guide offerings that would allow surf rods to go 100% titanium. In my neck of the woods, surf fishermen are loving titanium guides otherwise.

Erik

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.196.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 11:48AM

I suspect Nanolite is another trade name coined by American Tackle for a type of ceramic material. Just like Alconite is a Fuji coined name for a type of ceramic material. I doubt the manufacturer of those respective ceramics calls them by either name.

Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2004 12:23PM

I agree that they need to make some larger ring size and tube size tiptops. I'm tired of making tiptops out of regular guides!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.33.127.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 01:26PM

Hay Joe; I think you may have one heck of a hit with these guides. Harder then Alconites is nice! Prices are good!!! I am at present building a web site, got to put these on your site so I can have a link for people to see them. Having a one or two guide choises for most or even all rods would be a life saver. Keep up the excellent work Joe!!!!

Date: December 01, 2004 01:29PM

Joe; Guess you have thought of it, but what of sticking an SIC type ring in them?

Date: December 01, 2004 03:13PM

Hi Noel,

Expect them around the end of January. Any sooner is a possibility but I'm going to err on the side of caution.

I forgot to mention the pricing will be only a bit more than our Stainless Steel framed Holographics! That will save you a bundle when comparing these to Fuji's equivalent.

Warmest regards, Joe Meehan, American Tackle Co.

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.cvx.algx.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 03:52PM

If these guides turn out to be as light and corrosion resistant as Fuji titanium alloy- but at less than half the price, I will be using them on a whole lot of rods...

I do have a few questions about the advertising though.

1) the frame is advertised as "65% lighter" and "4 times stronger," but it does not say compared to what. These numbers are meaningless as a result.

2) the "nanolite" ring is said to have "high Vickers hardness", to be "45% stronger, 10 times harder, and 55% lighter." OK, but again, compared to what? Relative to a wire frame boat rod guide, that's not very impressive. Without a specific frame of reference, this is completely meaningless.

All I really know about these new guides from the advertising is that they contain titanium in the frame material, that they have a new kind of ceramic ring, and that the feet are pre-ground.

Date: December 01, 2004 03:54PM

Hi All,

We are developing a Turbo style guide train in saltwater with matching tops. We are still waiting for the samples to test. I would not count on these however it is still too early to say for sure if it is feasible.

As for the extra high spinning guides for surf nothing is in development for now but I will not rule it out going forward. I'm not sure if the volume would support the very expensive tooling needed to make this guide I will have to poll our distributors and gauge the demand.

We are still working out some welding issues regarding the tops. This is all new to us but we'll get it done. For now they will be stainless with a Titanium Carbide coating and the NanoLite ring. We will offer the tips in an 8 - 12 tube in a 10 ring. We hope to have the tops sometime this winter but nothing is definitive yet.

We will expand the offering next year. We might offer the same styles but in heavy duty for saltwater. We were going to do it this year but we wanted to take it one step at a time. This has been daunting to say the least.

NanoLite is a trade name to brand the product making it easy for consumers to distinguish ATC's products as uniquely theirs. For now the ring make up is proprietary. That may change down the road.

Bill, there is no need for SiC in our opinion. It is overkill in a major way. Even the Nanolite ring is overkill. How much hardness does one really need? Our Halide ring will handle most applications no problem with the exception of stainless wire line. This just about covers 95% of the lines used. I've never had a Halide ring groove with anything but wire. SiC looks great but its expensive and brittle. We could never get the low profile "weightless" ring using SiC the material isn't strong enough.

I hope this clears some things up.

Warmest regards, Joe

Date: December 01, 2004 04:03PM

You are into it way deeper then we are. You know best. Sounds like these puppies are going to be real nice, and I don't rave at new stuff

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.51.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 05:46PM

This is not aimed at American Tackle in particular, but in fact it is aimed at every company that offers "pre-ground" guides. I hate them. The shaping/grinding job is terrible and these often require more follow up work than guides which have not been ground at all.

I realize this is done to facilitate their use by major rod companies, but I prefer not to buy "pre-ground" guides.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 06:20PM

Small but additional "annoyance" ... and perhaps an interesting "poll topic" . How many other builders routinely grind off or otherwise remove or reshape the 'teat' on double foot guides? You know that "jump" that tends to separate thread wraps on guide feet.... Those came into vogue something like 22 years or so ago and seeminlgly have become a "standard" in guide feet --- Personally I hate them.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster